Author Topic: John Atlantic Stephenson  (Read 104810 times)

Offline ALTZA53

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Atlantic Stephenson
« Reply #288 on: Thursday 26 May 16 03:02 BST (UK) »
Two older men. One I believe is Henry Layton Stephenson (Jnr b 1859)

Offline ALTZA53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: Thursday 26 May 16 04:13 BST (UK) »
Final photo's cover my Wife's Grandmother Beattie's marriage to James Monaghan 1912 in New Plymouth, a family shot with son Martin and daughter Madeline, a photo of Martin with Harry & Madge Stephenson and their daughter Nellie in Lower Hutt 1946 and finally a photo of Martin Monaghan and (Katie) Catherine Monaghan (nee Crowley) again 1946. Martin and Katie are my wife's parents.

Hope you find all the photos of interest and that we might get some positive leads to establishing the names and family links of the unknown details.

Offline kiwifroggy65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: Thursday 26 May 16 12:52 BST (UK) »
What fabulous photos!  Thank you so much for sharing.  I do have a couple of questions though....

1. Where does Fanny Stephenson fit in?
2. Where does Katie Dickenson fit in?

Thanks again

Offline ALTZA53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: Friday 27 May 16 00:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Kiwifroggy,

Unfortunately I know nothing on these two individuals other than that names were on back some photos.

Glad you liked the photos. Actually I feel so relieved at having got them out on this Board for other Stephenson Family members to hopefully find a previously unknown photo of someone in their direct line. It would have been a real shame if these were just kept in the bottom draw and remained lost to the appropriate family.

I have been the beneficiary of information, photos and documents shared by others on this Board so I know the value of and appreciate what I have been able to receive. So to be able to return the favour and possibly help others in their family research is a great feeling.

Note. Due to posting limitations on this Board I have had to reduce the quality of the photos for download or size purposes. If anyone has the need for an individual photo at a higher resolution then just message me.

Cheers
Ian

Offline dianecon

• -
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: Friday 24 June 16 02:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Maggie,Altza,Brian and all the gang(too many to type),thank you all for the info and old photos etc,I feel I should let you all know,that my lovely mother in law,who was a mind of information,extremely artistic,who loved her family and her garden. Joy Denise Stephenson Conway passed away last Sunday,19th of June 2016.As she was the GG  Grand daughter of John Atlantic Stephenson I feel that I had to let you all know,thank you all for the help in retrieving the journal and other information that i know she delighted in.Much love and thanks to you all. Diane Lynch Conway.x

Offline jon541

• RootsChat Member
  • William Preston M.R.C.S. (1823-1858)
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: Friday 24 February 17 00:00 GMT (UK) »
Extracted today from the Gateshead East Cemetery burial registers at Tyne & Wear Archives:

[Entry No.] 16396 - Elizabeth Gordon-Stephenson - widow of John Stephenson - [aged] 72 Y - [address] 19 Ravensworth Terrace - [Date of Burial Feb] 2nd - [by] Rev. Day - [Division] C - [Grave No.] 1514 [Consecrated]
Preston in Newcastle (1770-1850) ; Brumwell - Weardale and Newcastle ; Wylie (Newcastle 1800-1870) ; Slaughter (Sussex and South Shields 1750-1850) ; Barkas (Newcastle 1750-1850) ; Redshaw (Medomsley and Newcastle 1750-1850) ; Simpson (Hamsterley 1720-1820) ; Anderson (Ryton 1750-1850) ; Chilton (Darlington 1750-1920) ; Pattison (West Tanfield, Bellerby, Northallerton) ; Sanderson (Hamsterley and Stanhope (1750-1850)

Offline ALTZA53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 03:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jon, I just logged in to add an update and saw your recent post of 27 Feb. Another case where no notification rec'd from RootsChat of a new post.

Yes I have that info.

You mentioned earlier that Leonard Stephenson married 1860, though was still shown as single 1861 Census. I finally decided to get the Certificate to confirm details.

Marriage 16 April 1860 St John's Newcastle Leonard Stephenson, Age Fullage, Bachelor, occupation Printer, Father John Stephenson a Chemist. Married Jane Pearson Age 20, Spinster, Father William Pearson a Tanner.

So clearly is our Leonard as you thought.

Cheers
Ian

Offline jon541

• RootsChat Member
  • William Preston M.R.C.S. (1823-1858)
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 19:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that confirmation Ian. 

Your info also suggests that this baptism at St. Andrews which I've had in my notes for a while as a 'possible' for Jane can now be upgraded to 'probable':-

Jane Dau: of - William & Isabella - Pearson - Gallowgate - Leather Dresser - J. Ilderton [BT, Newcastle St. Andrew, 19 Apr 1835]

Jon
Preston in Newcastle (1770-1850) ; Brumwell - Weardale and Newcastle ; Wylie (Newcastle 1800-1870) ; Slaughter (Sussex and South Shields 1750-1850) ; Barkas (Newcastle 1750-1850) ; Redshaw (Medomsley and Newcastle 1750-1850) ; Simpson (Hamsterley 1720-1820) ; Anderson (Ryton 1750-1850) ; Chilton (Darlington 1750-1920) ; Pattison (West Tanfield, Bellerby, Northallerton) ; Sanderson (Hamsterley and Stanhope (1750-1850)

Offline ALTZA53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jon,

Yes I think you are correct with William & Isabella as her parents. Jane is shown on her marriage cert as Age 20 but presumably just means over 20 as she was in fact aged 25. I have found further details as follows;

William Pearson married Isabella Arnold 10-3-1832 St Mary, Newington, Surrey,Southwark (London England, Church of England Marriages & Banns, 1754-1921).

Child Eliza born 19-12-1832, baptised 19-5-1833 St Mary Magdalene Bermondsey Southwark, same parents names and father's occupation Leather Finisher. (London England, Church of England Birth & Baptisms 1813-1906)

Family must have moved to Newcastle shortly after as Jane's baptism was 1835 as you have identified already--(Jane Dau: of - William & Isabella - Pearson - Gallowgate - Leather Dresser - J. Ilderton [BT, Newcastle St. Andrew, 19 Apr 1835])

Mary Ann born 28-2-1837, baptised 7-6-1837 St Mary Magdalene Bermondsey Southwark. Same parent names. Father Leather Dresser. (London England, Church of England Birth & Baptisms 1813-1906)

William born 1839 approx. Newcastle.

I couldn't find family in 1841 Census in Newcastle but they appear on the Census for Surrey, St George The Martry, Kent Rd.

William age 30 'Leather Dresser', Isabella age 30, Eliza 8, Jane 6, Mary Ann 4 & William 3

1851 Census family back in Newcastle this time in Westgate. William's occ 'Leather Draper (Dresser)'. All children the same except Mary Ann not shown. I believe I found her in the household of John & Rachel Walton in Westgate where she was living as a servant. A slight variance in age though at 16 rather than 14 but born London so appears in order.

1861 Census Westgate found William Pearson age 48 'Leather Draper' (Dresser) born Bermondsey Surrey but wife shown as Margaret age 37 born Newcastle. Isabella must have died and he has remarried.

Cheers
Ian