Author Topic: John Atlantic Stephenson  (Read 104785 times)

Offline brian.1948

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Atlantic Stephenson
« Reply #45 on: Saturday 21 August 10 12:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks Buffers. I have one particular memory of my great grandfather, there is a similarity between him and J.A.S in this photograph.; I remember the moustache and the appearance of his hair being very similar, although great grandfather must have been in his late eighties by then. I`m a N.T member, but I find their properties a bit pricey; I`ll look this one up. Thanks again.
Tracing ancestry on Stephenson side of the family; believed to be related to John Atlantic Stephenson. Other areas of interest on mothers side of the family (Anderson/Brown) from Birtley (Co.Durham) area.

Offline Buffers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 22 August 10 20:32 BST (UK) »
On the 1841 Census in Staintondale, the only one on which John Stephenson appears, his age is recorded as 46: that's 12 years older than his 34-year-old wife Elizabeth. From John Atlantic's age on this census, he seems to have been born when his mother, Elizabeth, was around 23. His father John would have been 35. Has it occurred to anyone that this age difference might indicate that John Stephenson had been married before and had perhaps been widowed?

Offline brian.1948

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 24 August 10 21:34 BST (UK) »
I have a theory on the downturn in the family fortunes. Reading something of the history of the Peak Alum Works it seems that it went into a gradual but steady decline; I would imagine that the company would have `downsized`its workforce, much as companies do today. They may have travelled to Tyneside simply because they were out of work. I have nothing solid to support this theory but it seems a possibility.
Tracing ancestry on Stephenson side of the family; believed to be related to John Atlantic Stephenson. Other areas of interest on mothers side of the family (Anderson/Brown) from Birtley (Co.Durham) area.

Offline brian.1948

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 24 August 10 22:40 BST (UK) »
Buffers, I`ve emailed Maggie with a possible thread that may be worth following; equally, it may be of no significance! I`ve found a John Stephenson baptized 17 Nov 1804 in Bowes, Yorkshire. He was one of the children of Jonathan Stephenson (Circa 1774) and Jane Longstaff, they were married in Bowes on 17 May 1800. I mention this as it seems that the origins of the John Stephenson Maggie was talking about is apparently unknown.

Offline Buffers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 24 August 10 23:07 BST (UK) »
Brian, Yes, you're right about the decline of the alum works and the fact that this decline was gradual. This factor raises 2 central issues , given that John Stephenson died between 1843 and 1851. The first of these is - did he die in Staintondale, before his widow moved with the family to Gateshead, or did the whole family move and his death occurred afterwards? The second one is - similarly did the decline in his family's fortunes occur before or after he died?

I don't think the John Stephenson birth in Bowes marriage can be connected - our John Stephenson was born around 10 years earlier than that. The main reason that his origins are so hard to trace is that he was born well before the national births marriages and deaths register started in 1837.  The added problem is that his name was a very common one in the northeast, so there are doubtless many births recorded in parish records all over the region.

Offline patrexjax

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday 24 August 10 23:24 BST (UK) »
Hello all!  Just some additional information that I don't think has been posted on this thread....from St. Nicholas parish register, Newcastle-on-Tyne: Elizabeth Gordon Brummell b. 27 Sept 1805, chr. 13 Oct 1805 - she is described as the "illeg s. (sic!) of Elizabeth Gordon by the child's "supposed Father, William Brummell, surgeon."  Also, another entry reveals the supposition about having more children and an apparent marriage that I do not have fiche for..."Catherine Brummell" (Westgate Street) born 11 August 1811 and chr. 27 August 1811 1st daughter of  William Brummell, surgeon, native of Alston, Cumberland and his WIFE, Elizabeth d. of Alexander Gordon of Aberdeen"...Hope this helps! My St. Nicholas baptism fiche go through 1812 so if there are any other look ups wanted, please feel free to ask!   ;D  Pat
ARCHIBALD/ARCHBALD: Tweedmouth, NBL; CHARLTON: Ponteland, NBL;
ERRINGTON: West Denton, NBL; 
FAIRLESS: Longbenton, NBL;
HARDING: Hollinside, Co. Durham;
KING: Newcastle-on-Tyne & Berwickshire;
LOCKEY: Ryton, Whickham, Co. Durham & YKS; NICHOLSON: Ponteland, Newburn, NBL; PAXTON: Norham, NBL;
PAULIN: Berwickshire; REAY, Ponteland, NBL;
SCOTT: Norham, NBL; SELBY: Tweedmouth, NBL;
SLIGH: Berwickshire; SPOOR: Whickham & Ryton;
WIDDRINGTON: NBL

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 09:11 BST (UK) »
Hi

The surname looks to be Brumwell not Bru(m)mell

http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/s/t/u/Marc-Stuart/WEBSITE-0001/UHP-0415.html

JANE BRUMWELL OR GORDON
Birth:  15 APR 1807   
Christening:  07 MAY 1807   St Nicholas Parish Rec And Nonconf, Newcastle Upon Tyne, Northumberland
Father:  WILLIAM BRUMWELL 
Mother:  ELIZABETH GORDON 

ANNE BRUMWELL OR GORDON
Birth:   Christening:  26 DEC 1809   St Nicholas Parish Rec And Nonconf, Newcastle Upon Tyne, Northumberland
Mother:  ELIZABETH GORDON 

WILLIAM BRUMWELL 
ELIZABETH GORDON   
Marriage:  03 JUL 1810   Saint John, Newcastle Upon Tyne, Northumberland

WILLIAM BRUMWELL
Christening:  05 SEP 1813   Saint Nicholas, Newcastle Upon Tyne, Northumberland
Mother:  ELIZABETH   

JOHN BRUMWELL
Christening:  31 DEC 1815   Saint Nicholas, Newcastle Upon Tyne, Northumberland
Mother:  ELIZABETH 

Another tree on the internet gives William Brumwell bapt 1754 Alston, died 1815, the son of John Brumwell 1721-1792 and Isabella 1726-1803 marrying to Susanna Wilkinson in 1783 and having a daughter Isabella in 1783

William Brumwell 
Susanna Wilkinson   
Marriage:  23 OCT 1783   Wisbech,St Peter, , Cambridge

ISABELLA BRUMWELL
Birth:  15 JUL 1784   
Christening:  08 SEP 1784   St Nicholas Parish Rec And Nonconf, Newcastle Upon Tyne, Northumberland
Mother:  SUSANNAH 

Not to be confused with this William Brumwell on someone else's tree on the internet baptised according to the tree in Alston in 1752 (other trees 1764) to George 1719-1804 and Euphemia M Leeke 1719-1768

UPHAN BRUMWELL (Euphemia) 
Christening:  23 FEB 1800   Hexham, Northumberland

GEORGE BRUMWELL
Birth:  22 SEP 1801   
Christening:  25 JUL 1802   St Nicholas Parish Rec And Nonconf, Newcastle Upon Tyne, Northumberland
Mother:  ANNE ENGLISH 

WILLIAM BRUMWELL 
Birth:  11 AUG 1803   
Christening:  12 AUG 1804   St Nicholas Parish Rec And Nonconf, Newcastle Upon Tyne, Northumberland

THOMAS BROMWELL
Birth:  04 SEP 1807   
Christening:  11 OCT 1807   St Nicholas Parish Rec And Nonconf, Newcastle Upon Tyne, NorthumberlandFather:  WILLIAM BROMWELL

MARY ANN BRUMWELL
Birth:  13 OCT 1812   
Christening:  08 NOV 1812   St Andrews Brunswick Pl Formerly Orphan Hse-Wesl Mnew, Newcastle Upon Tyne, Northumberland
Mother:  ANN 

WILLIAM BRUMWELL
ANN ENGLISH   
Marriage:  12 MAY 1799   Hexham, Northumberland

Ann English's dates according to the tree 1771-1844

These bits from the internet

'Mr. Daglish was the pupil and successor of the late William Brumwell, surgeon, a man of singular simplicity and benevolence of character. Mr. D. in speaking of his respected master, says he was "a constant friend to, and warm advocate for vaccination; and who, for a period of nearly forty years, practised in Newcastle with success and credit; whose urbanity and kindness obtained for him the esteem of a numerous and respectable circle of friends, the affection of his servants, and the gratitude of the poor.'

successor certainly by 1825

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=43378

'The trial at large of Sir Matthew White Ridley, bart., M.P., for and one of the aldermen of Newcastle upon Tyne for criminal conversation with the wife of Mr. William Brumwell, surgeon, Newcastle: before Lord Kenyon, at Guildhall, March 4th, 1793 : with the pleadings of councel at full length (Mr. Erskine for the plaintiff, Mr. Law for the defendant.) / taken in short-hand by Mr. E. Hodgson.'

'In fact he got himself into considerable trouble in this respect in 1793, when he was sued by a Dr. Bromel for 'Criminal Conversation' with Mrs. Bromel on the staircase of their house in Newcastle. Sir Matthew, who had been caught in 'flagrante delicto' by Mrs. Bromel's maid, was found guilty by a special jury, and ordered to pay £400 damages. This little incident did not, however, affect his public career, although he was Mayor of Newcastle and Member of Parliament at the time [27/10]. Perhaps the general public were of the same opinion as Sir Matthew's counsel who maintained, in mitigation, that Mrs. Bromel, although admittedly very beautiful, was not morally above reproach. Moreover, her husband had shown such a lamentable complacency in her affairs, that he suspected that they had conspired to rob this great but susceptible gentleman - not only of his money but of his peace and quiet. Any way, Sir Matthew continued to enjoy the confidence and affection of his constituents as well as his wife.'

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Matthew-Criminal-Conversation-William-Brumwell/dp/1170003206

Monthly magazine and British Register 1816
Died Mr William Brumwell of the Sandhill much respected 61

Burial 31st December 1815 St Nicholas Newcastle aged 61

There are other William Brumwells burials in Newcastle

Regards

Valda

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline patrexjax

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 14:20 BST (UK) »
Hello all, Apologies for the mis-reading of the surname: apparently my eye surgery hasn't been as successful as I would have hoped.  :'(  The Wood fiche shows the surname on Catherine's baptism to be Brumell......  In looking at the other family: William and Ann.....the entries reveal that this William was spelled William Brumwell (!!) a native of Warden Hill, Durham and his wife, Anne, was the daughter of John English of Newborough near Hexham.  Indeed, then the two gents do not appear to be closely related, if at all.  Pat
ARCHIBALD/ARCHBALD: Tweedmouth, NBL; CHARLTON: Ponteland, NBL;
ERRINGTON: West Denton, NBL; 
FAIRLESS: Longbenton, NBL;
HARDING: Hollinside, Co. Durham;
KING: Newcastle-on-Tyne & Berwickshire;
LOCKEY: Ryton, Whickham, Co. Durham & YKS; NICHOLSON: Ponteland, Newburn, NBL; PAXTON: Norham, NBL;
PAULIN: Berwickshire; REAY, Ponteland, NBL;
SCOTT: Norham, NBL; SELBY: Tweedmouth, NBL;
SLIGH: Berwickshire; SPOOR: Whickham & Ryton;
WIDDRINGTON: NBL

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 15:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Pat

I was meaning the surname seems to get spelt in various ways - Brumell, possibly Bromell but looks to be mostly Brumwell and that's probably how it should be spelt.

Are you able to confirm whether the Isabella baptised in 1784 could be a daughter of the same man who later had children with Elizabeth Gordon. That might help to confirm he was married twice and would make sense of the criminal conversation trial in 1793 and potentially why the marriage to Elizabeth did not take place straightaway.

Criminal conversation
'a common law action brought by a husband by which he claimed damages against an adulterer'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adultery

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk