Author Topic: Abingdon Baptisms - WESTALL & variants  (Read 11373 times)

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Abingdon Baptisms - WESTALL & variants
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 14 August 10 09:28 BST (UK) »
Re the family mentioned in Alan's post, we looked at them in this thread:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,456705.0.html
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 14 August 10 15:31 BST (UK) »
Hi deejay,
I have had another look at the Abingdon PRs and have found the following;
Abingdon St.Helens;
Bapt. 31-7-1842  William Westall    s/o Joseph & Ann, Lab, Boar St.  (b. 19-6-1842)

Burials;  24-4-1853  William Westall, Boar St. age 44
                        3-2-1855    William Westall, Union Workhouse, age 81

Abingdon St.Michaels;
Marriage; 10-8-1872 William Westall (x) bach, full age, Blacksmith, Bath St. father Richard Westall, Hurdle maker to Emma Morris (x), wid, full age, Ock St. father George Belcher, Coachman
wits; Edward Westall, Amey Stimpson      by Banns

Marriage; 9-4-1905 William Richard West Westall, bach, 31, labr, Vineyard, father William West Westall, Labr, Deceased
to Fanny Maria Woodley, sp, 29, Vineyard, father James Woodley, Carter
wits; Ambrose James Pearce, Alice Pearce

Baptisms;
28-2-1874 William Westall s/o William & Emma, Ock St, Blacksmith

19-4-1874 William Richard West Westall   s/o  Mary Anne, Ock St. (no father listed)

Abingdon St.Nicholas;
Burials; 16-3-1851  Maryann Westall, Stert St.

According to these entries Richard's son William was a blacksmith.

Hope these help.

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 14 August 10 17:34 BST (UK) »
According to the 1871 Census, Richard's son William was a Blacksmith.  I've not been able to locate him again until 1911 ...

Looks like him here in 1881 with wife Emma and 6 children?  (birthplaces have all been left blank)

West St Helens St, Abingdon
RG11 Piece 1281, Folio 16, Page 26
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline dee-jay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 14 August 10 19:27 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to you all for your input. 

After a process of elimination I think that the Joseph WESTALL who married Ann GRAHAM in 1842 was possibly the base-born son baptized 1817 of Ann WESTALL at East Ilsley?

Is it feasible he was a cousin to the Richard WESTALL 25 with whom he appears in 1841 in the household of Joseph & Frances LAMBOLD at East Ilsley?

The William born 1842, son of Joseph & Ann, is looking the more likely candidate who married Maria and went on to become the Chemical Lab Assistant.
SOM/Chard/Combe St Nicholas/Ilminster:  Dean[e]/Doble/Jeffery/Burt;  DEV/Yarcombe:  Dean/Gill/Every; 
BRK/Newbury:  Westall/Green/Lewis/Canning;  WIL/Allcannings:  Hiscock/Amor;  Froxfield:  Hobbs/Green;  HAM/Kingsclere:  Martin/Hiscock/Westall;  WAR/Marton/Bubbenhall:  Glenn/Holmes;  STS/Yoxall/Hamstall Ridware/Barton-u-Needwood:  Holmes/Dainty;  STS/Brewood/Codsall/Penkridge/Hatherton:  Dean[e]; GLA/Aberdare:  Dean/Dane

Census information: Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 14 August 10 20:09 BST (UK) »
After a process of elimination I think that the Joseph WESTALL who married Ann GRAHAM in 1842 was possibly the base-born son baptized 1817 of Ann WESTALL at East Ilsley?

Aha, I think you could be right. 

Is it feasible he was a cousin to the Richard WESTALL 25 with whom he appears in 1841 in the household of Joseph & Frances LAMBOLD at East Ilsley?

Well, Richard had a brother called Joseph and I thought it was possibly him in 1841, but he was born 1802, so the age would have been well out.  Now if your theory is right, Joseph would be Richard's nephew, assuming his mother was Ann Westall born 1797 - Richard's eldest sister.  That is very feasible.

Joseph Lambourn/Lambold (my 3xgt gfather) is very likely the brother of Richard's mother, but in the absence of a baptism I'm struggling to prove it.  If only the 1841 census had given relationships ...  :-\ 

(Ann Westall married John BOWSHER at East Ilsley in 1818, the year after Joseph's birth.)

Offline sandra c

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 15 August 10 17:24 BST (UK) »
Hi i was wondering if dee-jay Westall family maybe link to my West family.My great grandmother was Elizabeth West born 1868 at Aston Tirrold,also ancester of Elizabeth West was William Westell West born 1847 at Steveton Berkshire. Sorry Dee-jay to ask this on your request for help.
Thank you Sandy

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 15 August 10 20:29 BST (UK) »
Hi dee-jay,

Not sure if this helps but in the East Ilsley PRs (ex BFHS);
narriage;
12-11-1843 William Westall, full age, labr, East Ilsley tp Maria Allen, full age, East Ilsley,
wits; William Gegory (x), Harriet King (x)
Sorry if you already have this.

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline dee-jay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 16 August 10 00:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandy

I don't mind in the least anyone enquiring about my WESTALLs because I've been gathering references for over 20 years but I still don't know where they originated.  My Grandfather met an untimely death before my Mother was 3 years old but the irregularities on his marriage certificate hampered my research for years! 

'My' William WESTALL born c1800 married Sarah LEWIS in 1820 at Newbury St Nicolas Parish and they feature there and in Speen/Speenhamland.  However, as bargefolk they might have arrived with the canal but their occupations evolved into the general building trades, 'spiced up' with a bit of Non-conformist preaching! I'll send a PM off topic but I've not yet found a link to any other branch.

Thanks, Alan, for the further East Ilsley input.  All branches are overloaded with Williams but if you should encounter a marriage between a William WESTALL & Sophia c1780-1790 you just might find a missing part of my puzzle!   ;D
SOM/Chard/Combe St Nicholas/Ilminster:  Dean[e]/Doble/Jeffery/Burt;  DEV/Yarcombe:  Dean/Gill/Every; 
BRK/Newbury:  Westall/Green/Lewis/Canning;  WIL/Allcannings:  Hiscock/Amor;  Froxfield:  Hobbs/Green;  HAM/Kingsclere:  Martin/Hiscock/Westall;  WAR/Marton/Bubbenhall:  Glenn/Holmes;  STS/Yoxall/Hamstall Ridware/Barton-u-Needwood:  Holmes/Dainty;  STS/Brewood/Codsall/Penkridge/Hatherton:  Dean[e]; GLA/Aberdare:  Dean/Dane

Census information: Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline A.Westall

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 01 February 11 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Can SKS please check the PRs for parentage for these 2 lads lodged in the Abingdon Workhouse 1851:

WESTALL, William  9  Pauper Scholar  Abingdon St Helen
WESTALL, Henry    6  Pauper Scholar  Abingdon St Helen

They may have been brothers:  Henry's birth registration appears in FreeBMD in the 2Q 1844 but there are a couple of alternatives for William.

Any help will be most appreciated, particularly if any WESTALL bargemen feature in the Abingdon PRs.
William Westall was my Grandfather Born 1842,I have most of the certifcates
Death,Marriage ,and Birth.A.Westall