Author Topic: MARY ELLEN MEREDITH  (Read 2343 times)

Offline a40a40

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MARY ELLEN MEREDITH
« on: Saturday 07 August 10 06:06 BST (UK) »
Any help greatly appreciated
MARY ELLEN MEREDITH (domestic servant) had an illegitimate son ARTHUR CHARLES MEREDITH in 1897. Her address is shown as Hardman Street, Bury, Lancashire on the birth cert. No father's name. Her son was "Adopted" and I dont know how to identify which M E Meredith might be her from the several on the 1881 census. Any suggestions?
Thanks

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: MARY ELLEN MEREDITH
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 August 10 06:33 BST (UK) »
Hi...can I ask ...do you know for definite that Arthur was Illegitimate ?....I can`t find Arthurs babtism , on
http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Search/indexp.html but there is a babtism for a Mary Ann Meredith in july 1893 in Hindley...( 18 miles from Bury )
father Joseph Meredith
mother MARY ELLEN MEREDITH
is it possible that maybe Joseph had died just before Arthur Charles birth ? and maybe Mary was at her relations ?...ie parents
allan
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 August 10 07:08 BST (UK) »
Joseph & Mary E MEREDITH are in Hindley 1901,  included among their children:  a daughter Mary A age 7 - and a son William age 4 born Hindley - so doesn't look like the same Mary Elllen?

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 August 10 08:44 BST (UK) »
Cheers Ambly....always worth checking.....allan ;)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline a40a40

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 07 August 10 10:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks Allan and Ambly for the rapid response!!!!

I have seen a copy of the birth cert (from Bury Register Office) and there are definitely no details in the "Father's" box, which there would have been if he had predeceased the birth of Arthur.

I thought maybe the name "Arthur" may have been named after  Mary Ellen's own father (or brother) so if I can find another Arthur linked to one of the Mary Ellen's that might give a clue to as to which one is my Great Grandma.
What do you thunk?

Mike