Author Topic: Surnames/Origins  (Read 4546 times)

Offline Lookin2

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Surnames/Origins
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 12 August 10 14:34 BST (UK) »
Valda

I awoke to a tremendous downpour of rain and lightening with power flickering on and off and thought I was imagining things when reading your response to the name of Eveness.  That is fantastic.   That is definitely the right Elizabeth Frances and unfortunately I do not have a scan to show how the name was given on her B Cert. The way Samuel Evenyess spelt his name was interesting as the B. Cert. had what I see now could have been a y as second letter on end "ys".  It will be interesting to find how this name actually started.  Thank you so much Valda what a great job.  Regards Lookin2
Howlett, Brown, Woodroofe, Mills, Battey, Woods

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 13 August 10 03:18 BST (UK) »
John died 16 Feb 1883 st 7 Stock-Orchard St.
Ruth died 3 Feb 1884 at 7 Stock-Orchard St.
Frances Elizabeth died 29 Oct 1888 at 7 Stock-Orchard St
Charles died 6 Sep 1889 at 7 Stock-Orchard St

All left wills according to Wills index.

Ian C
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 13 August 10 10:24 BST (UK) »
Hi

I checked for earlier wills. Unfortunately Samuel does not seem to have left a will (unless it is held at the Guildhall Library - but no  Prerogative Court of Canterbury will or one in the lower church courts held at the LMA). Gloucestershire Record Office has an online database of wills - nothing showing there either that might be of help for the Tredington line.

Samuel's death certificate may give an indication of his occupation in life. There seems a connection in the family to 'office' work and therefore a reasonable standard of education. The Tredington line (3 male siblings at least including a half brother) you would expect might show something similar.  Robert Eveness appears to sign with a cross on his marriage(s). Samuel of course could have been the sibling 'who made good' but as yet there is no evidence that this Samuel's baptism is connected to the man in St George in the East and no definite connection between him and the John who marries Ruth though that does look a strong possibility.

Tredington baptisms
14th March 1773
William son of Robert & Sarah Eveness

14th April 1776
Betty Daughter of Robt & Sarah Evenys

30th May 1779
Sarah Daughter of Robert & Mary Evenyss (possibly a mistake in the register and mother's name should read Elizabeth)

28th April 1782
Thos & Samuel Twin Sons of Robert & Elizabeth Evenyss

Burials
8th January 1777
Sarah Evenyss

29th December 1812
Elizabeth Aveniss

Marriage
13th October 1777
Robert (X) Eveniss Widower & Elizabeth (X) Thirdwell both of this Parish were married in this Church by Licence in the Presence of Charles (X) Hall & Wm (X) Toms

There is also this baptism which might be the first for Robert and Sarah

26th May 1771
Richard son of Robert & Sarah Evans

in which case this marriage becaomes a possibility

1st November 1770
Robert (X) Evans and Sarah (X) Russell both of this Parish were married in this Church by Banns in the Presence of Eliz: (X) Davison & William Tombs

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~wrag44/tredington/tredington.htm

There is no overlap in the register between Robert and Sarah Evans and Robert and Sarah Eveness. One 'arrives' in the registers in 1770 and disappears in them after the 1771 baptism. The first event for Robert and Sarah Eveness in the registers occurs with a baptism in 1773. Robert is a rare first name in Tredington.

1851 census HO107 1974 folio 120
Village of Apperley in the parish of Deerhurst Gloucestershire
William Margrett 28 Head Married Basket maker
Hannah Margrett 29 Wife Married
William Margrett 6 Son
Mary A Margrett 4 Daughter
Maria A Margrett 2 Daughter
Henry F Margrett 5 Months Son
Thomas Eveness 68 Father-in-law Widower Agricultural labourer
all born Deerhurst except Thomas Eveness born Tredington

Thomas Evenis of this Parish of Deerhurst batchelor & Nancy Salt of the same spinster were Married in this Church by Banns 20th October 1808 
Witnesses: Thomas Keys & Sarah Turner
Nancy is oftn used as a pet name for Ann

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~wrag44/deerhurst/deerhurst.htm

There are Deerhurst/Applerley wills for Eveniss held at Gloucestershire RO but there doesn't seem any evidence that Robert Eveness was baptised in Deerhurst.

Year Surname Forename Gender Parish Reference Occupation Catalog
1680 evenis john M deerhurst 1680/ 82 wheelwright Wills 1541 - 1800
1692 evenice thomas M deerhurst/wightfield 1692/ 38 blacksmith Wills 1541 - 1800
1757 evenis john M deerhurst/apperley 1757/151 carpenter Wills 1541 - 1800
1764 evenis thomas M deerhurst/apperley 1764/ 51 blacksmith Wills 1541 - 1800

http://ww3.gloucestershire.gov.uk/genealogy/Search.aspx

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lookin2

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 13 August 10 19:45 BST (UK) »
IanC

Thank you for the will information.  I have found a will on TNA - one for a James and the other for Francis Eveness, widow, St. Brides too and after going through the great info. I have received for Eveness Surname will definitely look into these further.Lookin2

Offline Lookin2

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Surnames/Origins- COMPLETED THANK YOU
« Reply #13 on: Friday 13 August 10 20:23 BST (UK) »
Valda

What can I say other than thank you for the vast amount of info. you sent.  I am thinking of ordering the M cert.1859  for Elizabeth Frances Eveness to Charles Woods that should list parent of Elizabeth believed to be John Eveness and Ruth Chandler. Next D. certs for Samuel Eveness  Sept. 1841 and Mary Dec. 1860,. I am wondering about the M. though (as I am trying to find where Eveness was used, but even Elizabeth Frances dau. had different spelling on B. cert. which was discussed here but I may just order it and see) because the spelling is Eveniss, 22 Nov. 1802.

On TNA I did find info re a few wills.  One I was interested in had the name of Frances Eveness Widow, Saint Bridgett 1737 but it lists a will for a James Eveness which I believe could be her husband, 1733. IGI lists a James M in 1688, St. James, Dukes Place, London.  So, Valda, I will take it slowly one step at a time and see how many spellings of Eveness, Eveniss, etc.  the family actually had.  Thank you once again for your very large input.  Regards Lookin2