Author Topic: 250 High Street..in Stoke Newington?  (Read 3235 times)

Offline jibba

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Nothing is true, everything is permitted
    • View Profile
250 High Street..in Stoke Newington?
« on: Sunday 08 August 10 13:14 BST (UK) »
Hi all

I'm trying to pin down a location as to where my great-grandmother gave birth to her ninth child in 1931. On the birth certificate, it lists the child as being born at 250 High Street. I'm assuming that this is Stoke Newington High Street, as the mothers residence is given as 29 Cressington Road, Stoke Newington, although she gave a second residence, Sidney Road, Homerton, when she registered the birth.

However, when looking at the High Street today, the house numbers only go up to the 220's. So either this is due to redevelopment or I've got the wrong High Street.

Can anyone tell me if this the correct High Street, and, if possible, tell me what kind of building was 250 High Street (i.e residential, infirmary etc...)

Thanks in advance

Lee

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 250 High Street..in Stoke Newington?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 August 10 14:33 BST (UK) »
Well the certificate will almost certainly have been issued in the same locality as the birth, so if the certificate was issued in Stoke Newington, then it's most probably Stoke Newington High Street.  Unfortunately WW2 bombing changed the geography of many London streets.  Probably the best way of finding out what 250 High Street was back then is to contact the local library, who may well have local archived material.
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jeuel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 August 10 00:05 BST (UK) »
Hi

I think 250 High Street Stoke Newington was a hospital.  I haven't found the proof yet, but I did have a gt grandmother Emma who died there and it wasn't her home address.

I wouldn't have thought anything of it, but Emma's daughter Annie and her husband Jeuel (my grandparents) also had various brothers who lodged with them and one who lived in Hackney.  Yet his death cert also shows he died at 250 High Street.

I have also found another chap who died at an ordinary address in Paddington which was Paddington hospital and examples where the address is given as an ordinary address, but has actually been a hospital, or workhouse.

BTW Stoke Newington streets are just the same.  250 High Street - if it wasn't renumbered - is almost opposite Stoke Newington Church Street where my Dad was born - and last time I visited I think it was a video hire shop with flats above.  You can look at it on google maps street view.
Chowns in Buckinghamshire
Broad, Eplett & Pope in St Ervan/St Columb Major, Cornwall
Browning & Moore in Cambridge, St Andrew the Less
Emms, Mealing & Purvey in Cotswolds, Gloucestershire
Barnes, Dunt, Gray, Massingham in Norfolk
Higho in London
Matthews & Nash in Whichford, Warwickshire
Smoothy, Willsher in Coggeshall & Chelmsford, Essex

Offline Nick29

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 August 10 08:55 BST (UK) »
I've done address searches for 250 High Street, Stoke Newington, and the address didn't exist in 1901. 

It was normal practice for workhouses to put an anonymous addess on documents, rather than have the document carry the stigma of the workhouse.  However, 1931 seems a little late to be doing this.

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Offline jibba

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Nothing is true, everything is permitted
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 August 10 10:37 BST (UK) »
Hi all

I'm currently waiting on the local library to confirm what was at 250 High Street, and from what Jeuel has said, it is likely to be a Hospital, which would have backed onto Abney Park Cemetery.

However, I can confirm that it is not the union workhouse. That building use to sit between Sidney Road (now Kenworthy Road) and the High Street in Homerton. This building served the Hackney district. Unfortunately, it does confirm that my great-grandmother was in the workhouse by the time she registered the birth certificate :(

Lee

Offline Nick29

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 August 10 11:22 BST (UK) »
That's right.   I searched for the locations of both workhouses and infirmaries, and there's no record of either being at that address.   Maybe it was a private infirmary ?   It often happened that families would rally round, and find the money to place their relatives in a place of care.  These included workhouses, so, don't assume that because someone was in the workhouse that they were destitute, and were treated badly.  My g. grandfather died of TB in the Greenwich Union Workhouse, and his family paid for him to be there, because they could offer a level of care that the family could not.

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 August 10 12:57 BST (UK) »
Hi

Stoke Newington was in Hackney poor law union

Hackney workhouse was on Homerton High Street

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/index.html?Hackney/Hackney.shtml

The map for the workhouse shows the local streets which still exist - try Google maps Crozier Terrace Hackney to pin point the workhouse site

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en-GB&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4HPEA_en-GBGB236GB236&tab=wl

Hackney workhouse Infirmary/Hackney Hospital

http://www.homerton.nhs.uk/about-the-trust/our-history/hackney-hospital-1750-1995/

Many poor law infirmaries became National Health Hospitals when the National Health System was introduced in 1948

http://www.nhshistory.net/poor_law_infirmaries.htm

Stamford Hill and Stoke Newington Dispensary was at 189, Stoke Newington High St Stoke Newington

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk