Author Topic: O'Connor family tree  (Read 4403 times)

Offline moconnor

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
O'Connor family tree
« on: Sunday 08 August 10 18:43 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm new to roots chat, wondering if anyone can help me. I am looking for a martha O'Connor who was born 1890/1891 in Tyrone, her father was called Patrick O'Connor. Martha later moved to Belfast and married there in 1912 to my great grandfather. I also believe she had a brother Thomas and Patrick.
I tried searching for her birth certificate at the registy office and had no success. I found a 1911 census record of a maud o' connor, matching her age living in antrim, then i also found a matching record of a martha connor living in rylands, omagh. co. tyrone.  On both census, her father was deceased. However on the marriage cert for martha, it doesn't state this, so probably not the right record.  Wondering if anyone can help me in my search.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: O'Connor family tree
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 August 10 18:53 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.
First of all, not all marriage records did list a dead father as deceased so that's not conclusive.
There aren't that many girls named Martha O'Connor/Connor in the 1901 census ages 5-15 years old (only 3) and one 1 has father named Patrick listed but this family is in Co. Donegal not Tyrone-
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Donegal/Illies/Evishbreedy/1181944/
In 1911 census there's only 1 Martha O'Connor in Ireland aged 15-25 and she's a servant in Co. Tyrone-
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Tyrone/Castlederg/Main_Street/851832/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline moconnor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 August 10 19:04 BST (UK) »
Hi, thanks for you reply
The 1911 census records a maud o'connor, at aged 20. Mother Mary aged 50(widowed), patrick  (26) and Maud (20) living in Antrim.
The 1901 census it looks like the same family,  but is recorded as connor not o'connor, where mother mary (37) widowed, patrick(16) and Martha (10) living in omagh.  The children's match and the mothers age is only out a  few yrs.
I hope i am on to something here, and like you say it may not have been recorded on her marriage certificate that her father was deceased.
The Ryanlands seems to be in the parish of Drumragh in Omagh, i don't live near omagh, but would be very interested to see what the catholic church records show.
Thanks again for you reply!!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline moconnor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 August 10 21:42 BST (UK) »
Hello again
I found a record of a birth of a Martha connor in 1891 in omagh workhouse (through the IFHF website). Mother is Mary, and father is unknown. Wondering if this is the same martha, they were different times then, it was probably easierfor mary to say that her husband was deceased rather than unknown. Although it does state a patrick o connor on the marriage certificate. Think i might be way off with the birth record what do you think??