Author Topic: Jewish Marriage 1884  (Read 2221 times)

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jewish Marriage 1884
« Reply #9 on: Monday 09 August 10 15:25 BST (UK) »
Hi

If they then lived together you would still expect a marriage later, if it had initially been blocked by one set of parents. There is no indication that happened. The banns were called and no objection was raised as shown by the banns book. Does the census indicate one or both would have been under age at this time?
Possibly one of them got cold feet and they tried living together instead. Have you checked all the way through in case there is a very late marriage many years later?

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline irret

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 09 August 10 15:39 BST (UK) »
Well Alice shows from census born circa 1866 so would have been 18 and Thomas 21 their first child was born in 1886 making Alice 20. Yep checked through and through for marriage Thomas Davis and Alice Maud Mary Harris. You can't win them all but it's difficult not to keep on trying to search for something that isn't there. Mad  ???
William Walker Glasgow<br />Pattison Northumberland<br />Pallent Suffolk<br /><br />This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 09 August 10 19:50 BST (UK) »
Irret,
Wonder if you could provide a little more info please re this posting. You are looking for the marriage of Thomas Davis/ Alice Maud Mary Harris. Could you give a census ref of where you have found her prior to when you think she should have married. Secondly do you know when she died and age at death.

John

Offline irret

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 09 August 10 20:10 BST (UK) »
Hi John,
Many thanks for your interest, I didn't post as I have been doing this tree for a good six years and have made many posts so didn't want to repeat. She died in 1937 age 71 she re-married in 1928 after Thomas died 1925
1871 census
RG10 Piece 896 Folio 13 Page 18
Down as Alice M Harris age 3 Born lambeth mother Elizabeth
Parish Northfleet
Father is Walter not there in 71 mother is down as married and I can't find him in 71
I have also ordered numbers of birth cert. for Alice and her siblings but they have all been wrong.
RG11 Piece 529 Folio 91 Page 20
William Walker Glasgow<br />Pattison Northumberland<br />Pallent Suffolk<br /><br />This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk