Author Topic: World War 1 soldiers' descendants  (Read 3236 times)

Offline Padraigin76

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
World War 1 soldiers' descendants
« on: Monday 09 August 10 08:10 BST (UK) »
I believe that some men from Jersey and Guernsey fought in World War 1.  I am assisting in adding to a webpage about the North Irish Horse, gathering photographs of these soldiers and would appreciate hearing from descendants who may be able to help.  I know that John Malorey of La Motte, St. Martins was one such man, killed on 16/8/1917.  Hoping for some positive replies, Patricia Tardif in Australia.

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: World War 1 soldiers' descendants
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 August 10 11:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Patricia

I don't know anything specific at this time but I can recommend a book called "The Jersey Pals in the First World War". This details most of the Jersey people who took part in WWI.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ours-Jersey-Pals-First-World/dp/0752451456/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1281350596&sr=1-1

I also know that the Societe Jersiaise library has an index of those who received medals for valor (I know because I did it!). I can't remeber though off the top of my head whether the list includes the regiment. I can look next week (I'm off on holiday).

Stewart

PS Could the moderator move this to the CI Lookup Requests please?

Offline Padraigin76

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 August 10 00:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you Stewart for your helpful reply.  When the North Irish Horse were disbanded many of the horsemen were posted to the 9th Battalion Royal Irish Fusiliers, so would you also check this Regiment.  Your offer is very much appreciated.    Happy holiday.  Patricia.

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 August 10 12:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Patricia

I have today gone through a book entitled Jersey Roll of Honour and Service, published in 1919. It lists all those killed or served in all services, who came from Jersey and includes dates and regiments, ships, etc.

I think I can confidently say that there was no one serving in the Royal Irish Fusiliers. I can see the Royal Irish Rifles, The Royal Dublin Fusiliers etc but not your regiment.

This confused me as I couldn't even see JM. Then it dawned on me. There is a St Martin's in Jersey and in Guernsey and your JM  comes from Guernsey. So perhaps recruitment to the R.I.F. was a local thing and you may get results if someone from Guernsey could help.

Stewart

Offline Padraigin76

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 August 10 11:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Stewart - Thank you so much for going to the trouble of checking for soldiers serving in WW1.  If I can assist you in checking anything "down under" please let me know.  Regards, Patricia

Offline gsygirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 19 August 10 11:13 BST (UK) »
There is a very good book on WW1 soldiers ..it is called Dieu Aide.( god help us)I can't find it on google l, it is a  very detailed book in all ways ..with names , regiments etc..it is written by a military man living in Guernsey

Offline pete1789

• RootsChat Member
  • Joseph and Rosamond's wedding, 1918
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 19 August 10 20:13 BST (UK) »
I think it's Diex Aix, by Edwin Parks. Loads of useful info about Guernseymen who served in WW1.

Pete
Bishop : Dorset/Guernsey
Blake : Devon/Guernsey
Priaulx : Guernsey
Spencer : Gloucestershire/Hereford
Davis : Hereford
Hammond : Middlesex
Wellings : Middlesex
So far...
All census information:Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gsygirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 19 August 10 23:25 BST (UK) »
you got it right Pete...I had given the book to my son and could'nt remember exact details..