Author Topic: "The Major" Buckley (Wolves Manager) and his wife Dorothy Isabel Davis  (Read 3380 times)

Offline Wendi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Peeking into the past
    • View Profile
"The Major" Buckley (Wolves Manager) and his wife Dorothy Isabel Davis
« on: Saturday 02 April 05 20:48 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information regarding the pre-WW2 Manager of Wolverhampton Wanders Football Club MAJOR FRANK BUCKLEY and his second wife DOROTHY ISABEL DAVIS.

Dorothy was born 1905, the daughter of Thomas Davis (Brass Founder) they married in Wolverhampton in 1936, Dorothy was a local woman, who lived in Dunkley Street, near The Molineux.  I understand that her relatives may had had a grocery shop at the junction of Bristol & Lime Street during WW2, and perhaps prior to the war also.

It is also understood that "The Major" served with The Home Guard during WW2, but to date no information regarding his service has come to light.  Can anyone suggest how I can verify this?

Any info or anecdotes regarding their time in Wolverhampton would be gratefully received.

Fingers crossed !
Wendi
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it,
unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

SCOTT ~ Monmouthshire & Glamorgan
BUCKLEY ~ Cork & Manchester
FRANKLIN ~ Clerkenwell, London
BRADY ~ Kildare & Manchester
DERICK ~ France
FRIEND ~ Kent & Portsmouth
TYLDESLEY ~ Lancashire

Offline dawnwas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: "The Major" Buckley (Wolves Manager) and his wife Dorothy Isabel Davis
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 July 05 13:06 BST (UK) »
I do not know of the Major directly, so good luck with your search.
There is a site called blackcountrypubs where photos of the molineux recently have been posted.The owner of the site takes photos around the area and sometimes posts old photos,not only as the name would suggest of pubs.He may know of some of the history.My Dad who is 80 used to be a Bobby on the beat at the matches.
arthrell( cannockchase UK to Novascotia )faircloth uk,simmonds birmingham uk,Mason and Rodgers westmidlands uk.

Offline Wendi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Peeking into the past
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 July 05 14:12 BST (UK) »
Thank you dawnwas, that's interesting.  I have been to The Molineux and they have some great crowd photos.  I wonder if your Dad is in any of them! Maybe a bit before time, as many of the fans are wearing flat caps.

Best wishes
Wendi
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it,
unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

SCOTT ~ Monmouthshire & Glamorgan
BUCKLEY ~ Cork & Manchester
FRANKLIN ~ Clerkenwell, London
BRADY ~ Kildare & Manchester
DERICK ~ France
FRIEND ~ Kent & Portsmouth
TYLDESLEY ~ Lancashire

Offline dawnwas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 31 July 05 10:44 BST (UK) »
Hi wendi,
Yes Dad was a policeman during the late 40's onwards I think.
mum reckons there was a time when he was in a shot in the newspaper with a big grin at a match..and in those days policemen were not supposed to draw attention to themselves.
DAwn
arthrell( cannockchase UK to Novascotia )faircloth uk,simmonds birmingham uk,Mason and Rodgers westmidlands uk.