Author Topic: William DENT  (Read 3047 times)

Offline coppers

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William DENT
« on: Monday 09 August 10 12:37 BST (UK) »
I am looking for any information on William Dent b1885 died 1945.  He died in Hackney hospital and was burried in Woodgrange cemetery.  Before his death he was a caretaker at an factory and before that worked in the docks.  He was injured in the docks, hence the change of occupation.  in 1908 he was a sailor.  He may have been married to a 'M', this is because the informant in the death cert was a M Dent.  I believe his father to be John Dent who in 1908 was a fisherman.
Any help would be graefully received.
Thank you
Copley - Sheffield
Yeomans - Hilton, Derbys
Riches / Durrant, Norfolk Broads
Neale - Suffolk
Dent - Kinsale Co Cork Ireland
Buckland - Oxford

Offline Mort29

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William DENT
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 August 10 12:39 BST (UK) »
do you have any BMD and census info for him ?

in 1908 he was a sailor. 
He may have been married to a 'M', this is because the informant in the death cert was a M Dent. 
I believe his father to be John Dent who in 1908 was a fisherman.

from where is this 1908 info sourced - a Marriage Certificate?

If so, does this not tie in with an 'M. Dent'?

Offline coppers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 August 10 12:45 BST (UK) »
In the 1911 census he is in Kinsale, Ireland.  But not on the 1901 census, I am assuming this is because he was a sailor and could have been at sea.  I know he brought a daughter and son to London around 1916 and seemingly settled there (although his daughter later moved to Cardiff). I do not know if he was Irish or just visited the port of Kinsale reguarly and hence married a local girl. 
The lack of BMD deatail or census returns is one of the reasons I am struggling to get a start with him.
Copley - Sheffield
Yeomans - Hilton, Derbys
Neale - Suffolk
Buckland - Oxford

Offline coppers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 August 10 12:46 BST (UK) »
the 1908 info is from his marriage to Anne Coleman in Kinsale.  She died in 1917 hence the movement of the children around this date.  But I dont know what happened between 1917 and 1945.  Or indeed where William came from before 1908.
Copley - Sheffield
Yeomans - Hilton, Derbys
Neale - Suffolk
Buckland - Oxford

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 August 10 12:47 BST (UK) »
In the 1911 census he is in Kinsale, Ireland.  But not on the 1901 census, I am assuming this is because he was a sailor and could have been at sea.  I know he brought a daughter and son to London around 1916 and seemingly settled there (although his daughter later moved to Cardiff). I do not know if he was Irish or just visited the port of Kinsale reguarly and hence married a local girl. 
The lack of BMD deatail or census returns is one of the reasons I am struggling to get a start with him.

Does the Irish 1911 census (about which I know nothing) not give birthplaces?

ETA: It looks as though it ought to give "county or country of birth": http://www.1911census.org.uk/ireland.htm
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline coppers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 August 10 12:53 BST (UK) »
Listed as County Cork.  When I search for Dent in County Cork the only ones that come up are in Kinsale (right place) but all females.  Again this would fit if his father and males in family are fishermen.  But does not help trace him before 1908.  I also cant find a later marriage for him in London, hence the request also for data post 1917.

I know I am not being mush help, but have hit the proverbial brick wall.
Copley - Sheffield
Yeomans - Hilton, Derbys
Neale - Suffolk
Buckland - Oxford

Online jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 August 10 13:10 BST (UK) »
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=128
 - as he appears to have been a Merchant Seaman, if he was still working post 1918 you should be able to get the information off the register for him, should give you a fair bit of info.

Is there not a description/qualification for the informant?

It should give name, description (i.e. qualification to be be the informant, such as relationship or if not a relative, something like "present at the death" etc), and address.  You might be able to track down something relating to the address, too.

If you know the names of the son and daughter, have you looked for their marriages as well? M Dent could be, for example, a daughter in law.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline coppers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 09 August 10 13:33 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the pointers.

I have looked again at death cert and M W Dent is listed as widow of deceased and the address of 97 Ridley Road, Hackney does not seemto exist anymore.

The sone and daughter that I am aware of are from his first marriage in Ireland and so not linked to the Hackney connection.

I will contact the archives to try and see if his on the list of seaman.  I haven't done this as I was under the impression that you needed to know the ship they were on before you could access any information.
Copley - Sheffield
Yeomans - Hilton, Derbys
Neale - Suffolk
Buckland - Oxford

Online jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 09 August 10 14:44 BST (UK) »
It all depends on the dates - if he was still working after 1918 and doing so on UK ships there was a register, it actually started in 1913 but 1913-1918 records were destroyed. So records related to his early career would be more difficult.

http://maps.google.co.uk/ - shows 97 Ridley Road, Hackney.  (You may find this address also listed as in "Dalston").

With the address you can look up electoral rolls, perhaps try contacting http://www.hackney.gov.uk/ca-archives.htm
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk