Author Topic: Hamilton Hardy  (Read 5274 times)

Offline brentrotorua

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hamilton Hardy
« on: Tuesday 10 August 10 08:43 BST (UK) »
Hamilton was a farmer.  Only information i have is that his son John Hardy emigrated to Australia 1862 on Hotspur . John was born c1838 and his mother was Mary kerr.the ships list  says also born  Inniskeen . Any advice where to start would be appreciated.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hamilton Hardy
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 August 10 08:52 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.
Griffith's Valuation (mid 1800s) which covers all Ireland doesn't list a Hamilton Hardy.
"Inniskeen" is quite possibly a townland called Inishkeen- there are several in Ireland- Fermanagh, Leitrim and Limerick but none in Monaghan.
Civil registration of deaths started in 1864 and shows no Hamilton Hardys in Co. Monaghan (of course he could have died before 1864 or moved)- any of the few listed are too recent.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline saddles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 August 10 09:20 BST (UK) »
There is an 'Inniskeen' in county Monaghan, 9.4KM  ENE of Carrickmoss and 2km from
the Louth border.

There are HARDY currently in CASTLEBLANEY. Monaghan.

Mike.
Townson - Cartmel                      O'Malley - Askeaton, Ireland
Sadler - Dymock & Salford           Tomlinson - St Peters, Leeds
Wilkinson - Salford                      Chant - Sherbourne, Dorset
Garner - Pendleton

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 August 10 09:37 BST (UK) »
Inishkeen is apparently the name of a parish in Co. Monaghan and has a townland called Innishkeen Glebe which may be the location of the place saddles mentioned.

Offline brentrotorua

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 August 10 10:11 BST (UK) »
The writing on the original shipping documents defintly show Monogham but the Enniskillen part could be open to spelling and writing errors.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 10 August 10 12:37 BST (UK) »
Where does Enniskillen come into this? Your first post "born  Inniskeen" but Enniskillen is in Co. Fermanagh.

Offline brentrotorua

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 00:10 BST (UK) »
sorry to confuse..the Inniskillen comes only as apossibility because the writing is hardly readable and it was commented to me perhaps it could be inniskillen or Inniskeen. Monaghan is definitly readable . An option i have left  is that they got their county wrong .

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 22 November 10 20:53 GMT (UK) »
i concentrated on co down, eventualy worrying i had sort of shadow generation, one generation out
From freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies
Hamilton Hardy has at least two sons
Arthur HARDY . Down & Loughinisland son of Hamilton Hardy; married Catherine McCabe 19 Sep 1854 in Downpatrick; father of Mary b. 9 Jan 1869 (regd. Clough) [Jim adds I think Arthur has also a son Hamilton Hardy who marries in 1885 see ancestryireland,com] another son John b  1864 Clough  see igi, Arthur is in the IGI
James HARDY . Down son of Hamilton Hardy; married Anne Gracey 8 Sep 1850 at Downpatrick Registry Office {Anne Gracey’s ancestry should be findable if you are further interested}

My memory is there is at least a typescript book about Loughinisland in the Blackwood Family history manuscript trees in the LinenHall library, Belfast.  I also think part or most of this was once online.  I suggest you visit the library if possible or ask them for photocopying estimates if they think your knowledge relevant and you should be prepared to pay a fee for copying, post and packing, and perhaps some staff time and overheads. However if the material is really relevant when you get it .please give more.  Linen Hall Library,17 Donegall Square North, Belfast BT15GB, Northern Ireland, Telephone: +44 (0)28 9032 1707,  Fax: +44 (0)28 9043 8586, Email: <irish.reference[at]linenhall.com>.replace the [AT] with the symbol please

But in griffiths valuation 1863 there is a clump of Hardy inc an Arthur living in Castlewellan

Nevertheless my attention swung towards  Clough where the  Presby Ch, Clough, Down, is recording Hardy in 1794, back I went to http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/PLACENAMES/L.htm#Lo
Over to you, good luck, jim   
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 22 November 10 21:03 GMT (UK) »
Then I switched to looking for any Hamiton Hardy in the 1901 census, to my surprise a visting metropolitan family of Hardy from India, Dublin, Kingstown is visiting Enniskillen Co fermanagh, staying in a hotel perhaps, one is a lady whose name ends with Hamiton Hardy
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide