Author Topic: Byrnes Ballyman  (Read 7070 times)

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Byrnes Ballyman
« on: Tuesday 10 August 10 18:49 BST (UK) »
Where would I be best to follow up for the records of Bridget Byrne from Ballyman (border of Dublin & Wicklow)
She married Philip Kearney in 1883 and died in 1891 aged 35
Her father is given as James on their marriage cert but I can find no birth cert or death cert although I know she is buried in Deansgrange.
To backtrack further on this line I need a lead - please
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Byrnes Ballyman
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 August 10 18:55 BST (UK) »
Religion ?

Ballyman seems to be in the Civil parish of Old Connaught, so I'd say Bray or maybe Shankill parishes for her baptism

p.s. birth appears to be c1856 based on age at death - so no cert.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 August 10 22:21 BST (UK) »
Religion Roman Catholic I'd presume (husband and children were)

It's a common name over 10,000 Byrnes on the 1901 census in Dublin of which over 500 were called James. Nearly 4,000 in Wicklow with 252 named James!

There is only one Byrne shown in Ballyman in 1901; Patrick aged 27 a servant in the house of Edmund D'Olier. I doubt he's Bridget's brother with the age difference (in 1901 she'd be 45 if she had lived) but possible.

There are 76 Byrnes in Rathmichael in 1901 which doesn't help find a starting point and that's before I try a variation on the spelling - it's no wonder I keep walking away from this side of the family - I just need a break!
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline eadaoin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Reilg Chill Barróg
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 August 10 22:28 BST (UK) »
where were they married? there's a church near Old Connaught in Little Bray - it only became a parish in 1970s - so before that, I think records would be in main Bray church.

It's quite likely in 1880s that the church registers have the mother's name as well as the father's - and sometimes an address.

eadaoin
Begg - Dublin, Limerick, Cardiff
Brady - Dublin
Breslin - Wexford, Dublin
Byrne - Wicklow
O'Hara - Wexford, Kingstown
McLoghlin - Roscommon
Lawlor - Meath, Dublin
Lynam - Meath and Renovo, Pennsylvania
Everard - Meath
Fagan - Dublin
Meyler/Myler - Wicklow
Gray - Derry, Waterford
Kavanagh - Limerick

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 08:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks Eadaoin - I hadn't thought to do that once I found the civil record

I have just checked and they were married in the RC chapel of Little Bray, Rathmichael on Oct 12 1883.
Philip's address was given as Little Bray & his father was Daniel; and Bridget's as Ballyman and her father was James.
Their witnesses were Thos Toole and Catherine Byrne.
Further generations:

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 11:52 BST (UK) »
The Bray register includes records for Little Bray and Old Connacht - certainly in earlier records. They stood out because many of the records on the film that I've seen, do not have any addresses, except some that have references to places outside Bray town like Little Bray, Cork Abbey, Old Connacht etc

The NLI film for Bray (pos. Pos. 9371) mentions that it also includes Little Bray, Shankill, Old Connaught and Shanganagh baptisms from St. Michael's, (Kingstown) 1768-1861.

Records for Little Bray (which I presume would include Old Connacht and Ballyman) are on NLI Film Pos. 9372, and seem to start in 1866.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 18:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this Shane
I hope to get to the NLI next week and can start with Bray for the 1850s
Further generations:

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 11 October 11 13:47 BST (UK) »
my next week was delayed slightly! other sides of the family took priority

I now know from the records for Little Bray that Bridget was the daughter of Jacob (presume James) Byrne and Eliza Doran

There is a birth record in Castledermot Co. Kildare for a Brdiget Byrne born to James Byrne and Eliza Doran in 1854 which would connect especially that I was previously told the family had some ties with Moone

I have the church records now for James and Eliza's marriage in 1851, and they had at least 6 children baptised in Castledermot, three showed no address and three had Bolton Hill, Kilkea and Hallahoise. Presumably the family moved quite a bit.

I am only guessing that this is the correct family to match to my Bridget; Any suggestions as where to search for proof?
Further generations:

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 11 April 12 15:56 BST (UK) »
Further generations: