Author Topic: Millar's near Lisburn  (Read 3013 times)

Offline ladyapril51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Millar's near Lisburn
« on: Sunday 03 April 05 03:21 BST (UK) »
Looking for connections for David and Emily Fitzpatrick Millar, children were Edward, William, Lizzie, and David.  Worked in the linen mills. Years: around 1835 to 1880.  Edward emmigrated to U.S. He is my Great Grandfather.

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Millar's near Lisburn
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 April 05 00:42 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

It looks as though you have more recent information about this family.
What branch of the Christian faith was followed by David and Emily ?

Offline ladyapril51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Millar's near Lisburn
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 April 05 22:50 BST (UK) »
Hello, Christopher!  I definitely know David and Emily were not Catholic. My understanding is that my great grandfather Edward, David's son, experienced a conversion as such. In his own words as given to my second cousin,
 "One of his supervisors, Margaret, took special interest in Edward. When two evangelists came to the town, she encouraged Edward to attend the meetings, which he did. The next day as he stood at the rollers in the mill, he was converted. He left his rollers and went to find Margaret and tell her the good news.  That was 20 minutes to 11 on April 17, of 1875. '
He became an itinerant preacher here in the states for awhile.  He brought his brother William over in 1907 but there was never much conncection between the cousins. Seems perhaps that William was not church involved.  I was raised Methodist as was my father and I know my Aunt was married and attended the Methodist church in Illinois. The Methodist church was the church of choice it seems.

I don't know if this helps. But I am thrilled to have contact with someone who may be able to help fill in the gaps. How exciting. I do not know who Margaret was and I don't know what mill the family worked at.
Thank you.