Author Topic: 1730-1800 Southwark-James Lane & Quebec  (Read 4708 times)

Offline petey1812

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1730-1800 Southwark-James Lane & Quebec
« on: Thursday 12 August 10 01:03 BST (UK) »
Greetings,
I am searching for a James Lane, listed in his Quebec-born grandchildren’s baptism records (1790s) as a “merchant in London”.

James Lane (the father) born 1730-35? Died 1798~?
Wife unknown.
Children:
1. William Lane born 1759/60. Moved to Canada 1773~75, worked as a clerk for the colonial government’s Secretary and Commissary & Storekeeper General’s Office.  He was also a businessman connected to William Goodall of the Rasleigh-Watson Co. of Garlick Hill, and Thomas Wiggins, both London-based merchants.

2. John Lane born 1767/8.    (Moved to Quebec in 1784).
3. Jane Lane?         (living in Quebec 1796)
4. Perhaps another daughter, Ann (Lane?) Lamey turned up in Quebec in the 1790s.

In Southwark- I am focusing on a James Lane listed in the Directory of 1789, Wharsinger and Orchell Manufacturing, located at Coxes’s Quay and George Rd.

I wonder if he is the James Lane, of St. Saviour, who married a Mary Howell of Lewisham October 1752 in St. Margaret Lee, Kent.

I have searched many London registers on microfilm and fiche, but have yet to search the baptism and burial records around Coxe’s Quay (Southwark). Also unable to find any business records listing any apprenticeships for the two young Lane men.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Steve

Offline bdmayes

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: 1730-1800 Southwark-James Lane & Quebec
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 August 10 12:58 BST (UK) »
Have you looked at the will of James Lane, Lamp Black Manufacturer of Old George St, in Southwark? Proved in PCC  7 Jan 1797.

Offline petey1812

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 August 10 19:49 BST (UK) »
Dear bdmayes,
Thank you for your suggestion. I ordered the will through the Archives and found it was not my James Lane. I greatly appreciate your suggestion.That is one less line of inquiry...

Best wishes to you and thank you for your kindness.

Steve

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 August 10 18:10 BST (UK) »
Hi

Southwark is south of the river Thames as the square mile of the City of London was north connected by London bridge. Part of Southwark the ward close to the bridge was controlled by the City of London the rest was subject to the jurisdiction of the county of Surrey.

'....in 1295. Southwark remained outside of the control of the City and was a haven for criminals and free traders, who would sell goods and conduct trades outside the regulation of the City Livery Companies. In 1327 the City obtained control from Edward III, of the manor next to the south-side of London Bridge ' the town of Southwark' (called latterly 'Guildable Manor', i.e. the place of taxes and tolls). The Livery Companies also ensured that they had jurisdiction over the area....After many decades of petitioning, in 1550 Southwark was incorporated into the City of London as 'The Ward of Bridge Without'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southwark

A London merchant would be someone who was associated with the square mile of the City of London.

A wharfinger was an owner or manager of a wharf where vessels could be loaded or unloaded. I think orchil was a dye, so he was also a dyeing manufacturer.

http://www.ravensgard.org/gerekr/Orchil.html

Coxes (Cock) Quay I think was off Lower Thames Street - north of the Thames see Google maps

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=35965

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline petey1812

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 August 10 04:05 BST (UK) »
Dear Valda,

Thank you so very much for all the information. I live in the US and have only visited London once, so I greatly appreciate your insights and information. I have been using a copy of an excellent Georgian era map of London, so I am starting to get my bearings. I am trying my best to visualize and recreate the London of the late 18th century and the situation wherein James Lane (perhaps) sent his young sons, and later daughters to live and work in Quebec. It is clear that his children were all born in England, and individually moved to Quebec beginning in the 1770s. I have yet to find any baptism records for any, nor have I located any apprenticeship records, nor any death records in England for James. But, after reading the postings on RootsChat, I am now better able to systematically approach these parish and historical records.

I am learning so much from all the postings from you and others. Thank you very much.
Steve