Author Topic: Dublin registry and Darcy  (Read 3822 times)

Offline stevedarcy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Looking for info on D'Arcy
    • View Profile
Dublin registry and Darcy
« on: Thursday 12 August 10 23:11 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am trying to find out the baptism record if it exists of my grear great uncle James Darcy (D'Arcy) who was born Jan 1876. The birth certifcate states birth registered in the district of Dublin South City No. 1. Any advice on where that is?

Really stuck at finding out about his parents and therefore my great great grandfathers parents. Know there names are James Darcy (D'Arcy) and Mary Anne (nee Mooney)

Can anyone advise on where I can look or find a good researcher to pay?

They then moved to Wicklow where I pick up ther trail.

Many thanks

Steven D'Arcy
D'arcy - county wicklow
Darcy - county wicklow

Offline Hollander

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Dublin registry and Darcy
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 August 10 23:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Steven.

This link may help to give you an idea of the district.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,240358.msg1304904.html
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 August 10 00:21 BST (UK) »
IGI (www.familysearch.org) lists 3 children to James Darcy & Mary Anne Mooney-
1. James born 6 Jan.1876 Co.Dublin
2. John born 17 May 1878 Wicklow, Co.Wicklow
3. Daniel born 7 Dec.1880 Wicklow, Co.Wicklow
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 August 10 08:09 BST (UK) »

I am trying to find out the baptism record if it exists of my grear great uncle James Darcy (D'Arcy) who was born Jan 1876. The birth certifcate states birth registered in the district of Dublin South City No. 1. Any advice on where that is?

does the birth cert not have an address ?

Note that other then the inclusion of sponsors, a baptism record would not usually give you any more detail than a birth cert - and in most cases includes less. e.g. RC baptisms dont include father's occupation, Church of Ireland baptisms dont usually include mother's maiden name .. etc

The Sub-district of Dublin South City No. 1 contained a large area located in the south west portion of the city - e.g. Dolphins Barn, The Coombe, Cork St, Sth Earl St, Islandbridge, James St, Kilmainham, Rialto, Grand Canal Harbour,  part of South Circular Rd..

Given the area I'd say the parish of St. James  might be the place to start. (Do you know what religion the family were ? )

Parish records for Dublin City are available on www.irishgenealogy.ie , but I dont see any good matches for James's baptism. (more RC records are due to be added soon)

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline stevedarcy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Looking for info on D'Arcy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 13 August 10 21:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane,

Thanks for the info. The birth cert says 57 Coombe.
I have done alot on my name after this date but trying to hard to find out about the parents of my great grandfather Michael Joseph D'Arcy (Darcy)
On a recent visit to Wicklow where all the family were living between 1876 - 1950 this is where we found that the first son and brother of Michael, James D'Arcy was born in Dublin and his parents James and Mary Anne were living at 57 Coombe.
I know from their marriage cert that the father of James was also James but this is where I have come to a halt.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Steve
D'arcy - county wicklow
Darcy - county wicklow

Offline Adam D'arcy

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 January 14 07:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve,

I'm also trying to trace a James D'arcy born around 1885 who married a Mary Reck. He was my great grandfather and his children all lived in County Wicklow with him and Mary (Maria).

I've attached the census form. Hope you can help me :)

Thanks

Adam

Offline johnjensen

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 January 14 21:01 GMT (UK) »

On the 1901 census, assuming this is them, I see that James and Mary Anne were both born in Wicklow:
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Wicklow/Wicklow_Town/Strand_Street_Lower/1817911/
(Tick the Show All Information box)

Then from a free search on www.rootsireland.ie I can see that a James Darcy ( with father James) married a Mary Anne Mooney (with father John) in Wicklow RC parish in County Wicklow in 1875.  Might be worth buying the full record and searching further for Mary Anne and James' births in the 1850s approx.