Author Topic: A look up on Boarder Crossing: From Canada to U.S.A 1895-1956  (Read 2014 times)

Offline angel6488

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
A look up on Boarder Crossing: From Canada to U.S.A 1895-1956
« on: Friday 13 August 10 14:04 BST (UK) »
Could some one please kindly look up a Joseph latchford DOB 1889 born lancashire England he was a miner. On ancestry i find him on 1878-1960 UK INCOMING passengers list, that departed from Montreal, Quebec, Canada, on the 23 of November 1923, but sadly cant look at the border crossings from Canada to USA 1895-1956, if some one could kindly look at it for me and tell me what it says for Joseph it would be much appreciated thank you Emma x

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
Re: A look up on Boarder Crossing: From Canada to U.S.A 1895-1956
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 August 10 14:35 BST (UK) »
Arrived at Quebec, Canada, 7 Sept 1923, from Liverpool, SS Montclare

Latchford, Joseph, 34 years 1 month, married, miner, reads/writes/speaks English, citizen England, race British, last permanent residence Hindley, England, nearest relative  - wife, Hannah Latchford, 17 Fairclough Street, Hindley, Lancs., destination Detroit, Michigan
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline angel6488

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 August 10 21:49 BST (UK) »
thank you every so this has really helped me, but also confused me too ??? as Joseph had a wife Clara Jenkins in 1909 in the 1911 census which does not rule out the fact of a divorce. I searched the UK BMD but found no marriage for joe and Hannah ? could it be possible he married in USA ? would you kindly search the BMD and see if my theory is true? thanks Emma x

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 August 10 22:07 BST (UK) »
Hindley seems to be covered by the registration district of Wigan
Marriage Dec 1911 Wigan 8c 49 between Joseph Latchford and Hannah Entwhistle

In Canada and the US there is no central registry of BMDs.  Each state and province is responsible for looking after these records and what is available varies from state to state and in Canada from province to province. 

On the border crossing there is a 2nd page which shows that Joseph was going to his sister Nellie Hayes 1730 Labrosse St. Detroit Michigan and also emphasizes again Joseph was born in Hindley.
It states that he was going to reside permanently in the US but his passage back to Britain was after this border crossing and on that he stated he intended to reside in the UK.

Debbie

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 13 August 10 22:30 BST (UK) »
Looking at the 1911 British census general search index you can pull up 2 Joseph Latchfords born around the same time.

Joseph Latchford b. 1888 of Leigh, Lancashire it the only one that appears when you link the name to Clara.  This fits as the marriage in Sep 1909 of Clara Jenkins took place in the Leigh registration district.

Joseph Latchford b. 1889 of Wigan, Lancashire might be yours unless you have obtained the marriage certificate and are sure your Joseph married Clara.  Was Joseph's sister Lucy Ellen b. 1884 Hindley?  If so the Wigan location for Joseph shows Lucy Ellen Latchford in that location as well.

Debbie