Author Topic: puplic member family trees on ancestry  (Read 3217 times)

Offline briann1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
puplic member family trees on ancestry
« on: Friday 13 August 10 19:03 BST (UK) »
Hi can anyone tell me if you can make contact with tree owners on ancestry's public trees at the local libraries as there is 4 trees with links to my tree but i am no longer a paid member
briann
drummond,mordey,atcheson,eden,havelock,hudson

Offline mshrmh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: puplic member family trees on ancestry
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 August 10 13:44 BST (UK) »
Briann - I'm not an Ancestry member, but did have  a free trial. Many of the public trees are on this site:
http://www.uk.mundia.com/gb/
You can sign in with your former Ancestry details & gain access that way. I haven't tried to contact anyone myself, but I think it can be done, if the tree-owner permits. (When you first log in it seems to set your account to the wider end of the access/contact spectrum so it's worth checking you're happy with these or altering them ASAP).

Offline briann1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 August 10 21:10 BST (UK) »
hi    mshrmh   thanks for that info. got back home about 7-30 gave it a try,works great,found the tree owners and their trees,now the problems start as although in the 1900s all our trees match the earlier ancesters differ a bit. I can make contact and try to sort whats right and whats wrong
thanks again briann

Offline mshrmh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 August 10 10:49 BST (UK) »
Briann - glad to hear you've been able to find what you wanted.

It sounds as though you've got examples of the need to verify sources! I tend to use the online trees for more modern parts of the family which I often think have been compiled by people who are familiar with the family. Further back I think sometimes people have sometimes taken what I would call a "quick & dirty" approach rather than checked a wider area or range of years & thus found there are other more likely ancestors. It's like "submitted" entries on the IGI they can be accurate or woefully wrong.

Offline briann1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 August 10 18:24 BST (UK) »
hi mshrmh      When I was a member of ancestry a couple of years ago I dont remember coming accross this section I did use the member family trees but not on "mundia". may be its an addition since I was a member ,but as you say it has more recent additions to thier trees for people in the 1900s which gives you links to not so distant relatives.Maybe I can get a few more answers
thanks again for this site.   Brian