Author Topic: Stevenson's from Bannockburn  (Read 74670 times)

Offline pwl1951

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stevenson's from Bannockburn
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday 26 July 11 06:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks,Liz. JIM.
McIntyre/Fraser/McLachlan/Lister/Ferguson/Murray/Muir/Blackwood/Hutchison/Cochrane/Craig/Calderwood/McIntosh/Collie/Dott

Offline Liz C

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Thursday 28 July 11 11:58 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone
 Ive opened a new topic on Rootschat askin bout the Montgomery side of my family. If anyone can help with that I'd really appreciate it.
I (mibby stupidly) gave my parents everything I had on the fam tree so I cant quite remember dates etc.
My grandad Robert (known as Rab or Sanny) b Oct 1909 d Oct 1946 was apparently killed in 'black muck' in Cowie pit. He was married to my grannie Elizabeth Laird Stevenson.
Roberts parent's were Alexander Walker Montgomery & Jessie Davidson. Right now I can't remember dates but Im gonna get the info I previously gained back from mum n dad but thats pretty much all I remember for now.
By the way - if anyone's interested I've got (well at my parents house) a pic of the Duffin Family - Joseph & Elizabeth Duffin with all their bairns. I'll get that & try 2 post it 2
Liz xx

Offline Fergie38

• RootsChat Veteran
  • There's only one eF in Ferguson
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Sunday 31 July 11 23:27 BST (UK) »
Hello.

Thought I'd post this photo here for you folks right away.

It's a photo of James Stevenson, (circa 1935) son of William Stevenson and Elizabeth Duffin.
In the background is the legendery 'Sink Cottages'

The photo was given to me today by James's son who, for some reason or another, is called Wullie Stevenson.

Sorry I couldn't do better with the selected enlargement.

Cheers.
Ferguson (Stirling & Parish of Kincardine) Stevenson (Bannockburn) Cowan (Stirling) McLean (Glasgow,  Dundee & Skye)

Offline Chris9647

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday 02 August 11 05:06 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure if I am doing this correctly, just found this site.  I am searching for my Great Grandmother, Isabella Stevenson born 20, Sept 1852 in Bannockburn, Scotland.  I just have (not confirmed) that her father was John Stevenson but no mother mentioned.  She came to America in 1865/6 and no information on who she came over with. Married James Baird in 1870 in Braidwood, Will Co. Illinois, then around 1875 she moved to Nevada with husband and family. Any help would be wonderful.

Offline Fergie38

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday 02 August 11 14:33 BST (UK) »

In my (Bannockburn) branch of the tree, the name Isabell seems to have been introduced by Isabella McLaughlan

The 1851 census needs to be looked at to see if Agnes is a visiting relative as she was born in Dunfermline.
The 1861 census would have to looked at to see if there was a third daughter called Isabell born circa 1852.

Cheers.
Ferguson (Stirling & Parish of Kincardine) Stevenson (Bannockburn) Cowan (Stirling) McLean (Glasgow,  Dundee & Skye)

Offline HazelDavidson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday 02 August 11 21:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Robert,

I've just looked at the 1851census and it says Agnes was born in St Ninians. She was aged 4.
I have looked at Robert Armstrong's Death cert because hes not in the 1861census. He died in 1855 There isn't a daughter named Isabella on the list of 12children.
The list of children is:
Robert deceased, John 28, William 26, Margaret 24, Adam? or might be Allan? deceased, James 18, Peter 16, Adam 14, Alexander 12, Janet 10, Agnes 6, Thomas 8.

Hope this helps.

Hi Chris

I search scotlandspeople to see if there was a record for Isabella Stevenson but i can't find one. I tried looking at passenger lists but couldn't see anything there either she has me puzzled and i will keep looking. Are you sure that she was born on the 20 Sept 1852 in Bannockburn.

Hazel

Offline Fergie38

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday 02 August 11 23:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Hazel.

I thought I could be helping Chris locate an 'Isabella'.

The info I have on Agnes came from the 1851 census index published by Central Scotland Family History Society and clearly lists Agnes as being born in Dunfermline.

The enqiry by Chris also made me wonder why there was no third daughter called Isabella in that list of children. I will just have to keep wondering about that.

Cheers.

Offline Chris9647

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday 03 August 11 04:22 BST (UK) »
That is the only consistent date I have for her.  Her wedding certificate only has her name and no family members shown on it in Illinois and stating she was 18.  There is some documentation that her nephew lived with her in Nevada for a few years and his name was William Bruce and was supposedly her brothers child but that isn't consistent with her marriage certificate. I'm pretty stumped so not sure if that is a correct date for her birth or not.

Offline Chris9647

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Wednesday 03 August 11 04:33 BST (UK) »
Hope I'm not duplicating myself.  Isabella Stevenson's birthdate is consistent in all of the information I have as 20, Sept 1852.  Not sure if that is correct but on her marriage certificate it just states that she is 18 when she married James Baird in Illinois.  US Census records show it could have been earlier.  Also she had a nephew living with her in 1895 in Nevada named Will Bruce so makes me think there could be another last name but not sure.
Thanks for the quick response,
Christy