Author Topic: Stevenson's from Bannockburn  (Read 74582 times)

Offline MARYS1995

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stevenson's from Bannockburn
« Reply #90 on: Sunday 19 August 12 20:54 BST (UK) »
hi,thought i'd stick my tuppenceworth in,i only started the stevensons yesterday,
1901 census living at the path/north path bannockburn
andrew stevenson 59 dairyman b st ninians
agnes stevenson ms gillespie 53 b st ninians
bella dau 27 b st ninians general servant
andrew son 15 b bannockburn millworker
archy son  13? b bannockburn millworker
agnes dau 10 b bannockburn scholar
william gr/son 9 b bannockburn scholar,my hubby's gr/dad
william was illegitimate his mother was mary stevenson,not found her yet.
william married agnes f johnston ( b1895 in throsk) in 1914 at carriden west lothian and settled in bannockburn
stewarts and mcgregors,gibsons,perthshire,mcintosh denny area.thomsons bannockburn,kerr,stevenson,thomsons and mooney ireland

Offline Fergie38

• RootsChat Veteran
  • There's only one eF in Ferguson
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Sunday 19 August 12 21:19 BST (UK) »
HadagoodlookatmyStevensonfamilytreebutcouldntmakeanyconnectionwithyourlot.
Ferguson (Stirling & Parish of Kincardine) Stevenson (Bannockburn) Cowan (Stirling) McLean (Glasgow,  Dundee & Skye)

Offline IzzyM

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Monday 22 October 12 19:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Fergie38 that was a terrific photo of Craigford.  I must show it to my Mum who spent all her holidays with her grandparents Matthew McCulloch Stevenson and Catherine Steel Ramage.  Matthew was illegitimate but the father Matthew McCulloch was a coal owner and he paid for his son's education.  He never married.  Someone posted earlier that his mother Maggie married an Alexander Troup and had another 6 children. 

I would love to see more of your photos.  I have one of Craigford and also one of MMS/CSR and some of their 11 children.

This is my line :
Robert Stevenson m Hamilton Andrew (5th gt grandparents)
William Stevenson m Isabella Miller
William Stevenson m Isabella Dick
Matthew McCulloch - Margaret Stevenson
Matthew McCulloch Stevenson m Catherine Steel Ramage
William Scott McPhee m Isabella Dick Stevenson

Stuarttorrance it looks like we may be fairly closely related as Matthew McCulloch Stevenson and Catherine Steel Ramage are my great grandparents.   

Offline UNDERTAKER

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Sunday 17 February 13 06:57 GMT (UK) »
have a robert cowan born in 1677 in Falkirk who married Jean Gib in 1698 jean was born in 1680 in larbert stirlingshire who had a child called Margaret Cowan who was born on 20th January 1704 in Larbert Stirlingshire Scotland and Margaret Cowan married a Robert Laird in 1728. Robert was born in 1700 in Larbert Stirling.
Is this any help.?

T.

Offline HazelDavidson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Thursday 21 March 13 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi

IzzyM, I am the one who said that Maggie Stevenson got married to an Alexander Troup they got married in 1878, I'm not sure how may children they had but there is a family tree on Ancestry with two of their children on it. Alexander's parents were Alexander Troup and Margaret Forsyth. I did have some info on your Stevenson's but I have misplaced it at the moment. I know Stuarttorrancewould be glad of anything you could tell him about the Stevenson side.

Brina, It is a really unusual name for a woman, it could be that there is no record of her death, I have found with some of my family if they were poor there isn't a death certificate, I have someone in my tree who died in 1903, I know the date they died as they applied for poor relief but i cant find the certificate. If she outlived her family and died alone then there could be a chance that there is no record or it could be lost.

Undertaker, I noticed you have said a lot of surnames and I noticed when I was looking into my Stevenson side that there is tons of Stevenson around Stirling area and the same surnames seem to turn up although the family's are not related like Forsyth, Gillespie, Cowan and Laird, I have the same the same tree as Fergie38. Seems a bit strange to have so many and not have them connected but as far as I have looked I can't find a connection so far, would be interested to know who your Forsyth names are and if you have got any further with Cowan/Laird in Larbert. I have an Elizabeth Laird who was born in Larbert in 1864 and I think her father was called Charles Laird.

Hazel

Offline UNDERTAKER

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Friday 22 March 13 18:08 GMT (UK) »
i have a robert laird born born about 1700 in larbert stirling scotland who in 1726 marries margaret cowan born on 20th january 1704 in larbert stirling scotland who had a son called robert laird born on 29th october 1727 in larbert stirling scotland who married  in 1752 barbara brown born 1725 in muiravonside stirling.
that follows to my side of my family but robert laird 1700 had davidson family in the 1600's in kelso.
i know their is forsyth family but they are off my tree and the gillespie family is my direct route as my grandma was a gillespie lynn(linn).
my gillespie family is from denny and falkirk.

T.

Offline HazelDavidson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Saturday 23 March 13 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Undertaker
i would need to look in to the Laird's to see if there was a match, I might have a look at some point. Robert Laird 1700 his davidson family won't be connected to any mine as mine came over from Ireland around 1840's.

hazel

Offline forsythclan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Stevenson's from Bannockburn/ Forsyth link
« Reply #97 on: Wednesday 04 September 13 18:52 BST (UK) »
Hi all

Its a long shot but  i have a distant relative Margaret Forsyth born 1826 (  about 15yrs on 1841 census) who is my rleatives older sister. I havent had chance to check yet but she could the Margaret who married the Alexander Troup you mention further down your thread? I have noticed a fair few Margaret Forsyths in my family let alone elsewhere.please do let me know should this be THE relative.
Its my great great great great grandfathers daughter , Margaret. Her fathers name was Theodore Forsyth bornaround 1789/1791 depending upon records online seen. Married to a Margaret born 1801 ish. Lived at Nether Ordley, Auchterless Aberdeenshire.

Hope this helps??
regards Hayley Forsyth

Offline Gary Stevenson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Sunday 15 September 13 00:03 BST (UK) »
The William Stevenson born at the Sink outside Cowie in either 1912 or 1913 was my papa.  He was married to Annie Patrick Lawson Allan.  He was born September 15th 1913.  Today is the 100th anniversary of his birthday.  Annie was born in the Tylers buildings in Bannockburn on the 26th August 1915.  Her father was George Sinclair(?) Allan and his family came from Blantyre.  My papa met her through working for her father in the coal mines.

My father is also called William Stevenson and he was born 1st January 1947.  Track that back roughly 9 months and you can figure out how my nana and papa celebrated VE day.

My dad's older sister was Annie Davidson.

Lizzie Montgomery was my Great Aunt.