Author Topic: Stevenson's from Bannockburn  (Read 74588 times)

Offline Gary Stevenson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stevenson's from Bannockburn
« Reply #99 on: Sunday 15 September 13 00:20 BST (UK) »
Hazel,

We are the Stevensons you think are from England.  My mum and dad are both from Cowie and now live back there.  I'm from Bannockburn and my older brother was born in Canada and now lives in Fallin.  I now live in Sweden with my own family.  We moved to Nottingham, England in around 1983 when Players shut their Stirling factory.

William Montgomery did a lot of research in to the family history before he died and I think he handed it on to my dad, who should still have it.

Offline Gary Stevenson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Sunday 15 September 13 00:30 BST (UK) »
There was also a picture of the farm outside Cowie that was believed to be the Sink.  The Sink is right next to the farm.  If you follow the path from the road past the farm, there are the ruined remains of some cottage walls and one corner of a cottage remaining, but they are almost all gone now and a tree is growing inside what would have been one of the cottages.  I believe the cottages were owned by one of the coal mines in the area, but I don't know who owns them now and all of the cottages except one were occupied by Stevensons. 

The old farmer, Donald, recently had to leave the farm after his wife had a stroke.  He told me a couple of years ago that he helped to carry my Great Great(?) Grandfathers body back to the cottages (in 1944?) when he died on the lane.  I believe they carried him back on a door.

Offline Fergie38

• RootsChat Veteran
  • There's only one eF in Ferguson
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Sunday 15 September 13 23:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Gary

I have William Stevenson born at the Sink in 1912.

I have Annie Patrick Lawson Allan as born in 1915 at 14 Murdoch Place, Cowie.

I have you dad as born in 01/01/1946. (VE Day was 1945)

Cheers.
Ferguson (Stirling & Parish of Kincardine) Stevenson (Bannockburn) Cowan (Stirling) McLean (Glasgow,  Dundee & Skye)

Offline Gary Stevenson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Monday 16 September 13 11:29 BST (UK) »
My papa, William Stevenson was born in 1913, not 1912.  He was two years older than my nana (Annie Patrick Lawson Allan) and she was born 26th August 1915.  We had this problem later in my papa's life when he was being assessed for alzheimers disease and the official records had him as being born in 1912.  As I'm sure you can imagine, it caused quite a problem with his assessment when he apparently "couldn't remember" his own birth date.  Luckily, myself and other members of the family were present at the assessment and were able to support his assertion.

As to where my nana was born, she often pointed out the flat in Tylers buildings where she was born, when we passed it on the road to Cowie, before the building was knocked down.  I also know that at least one of our Canadian relatives was born in Tylers buildings as well, although this is just coincidence.

As to my fathers birthday, you are correct, I apologise for my 1:00am exhausted typo.

Gary.

Offline Fergie38

• RootsChat Veteran
  • There's only one eF in Ferguson
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Monday 16 September 13 13:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Gary.
I will amend my files to read that Annie was born at Tylers Building.
I had 14 Murdoch Place as her place of birth when it was in fact her address at the time of her marriage.

Cheers.
Robert.
Ferguson (Stirling & Parish of Kincardine) Stevenson (Bannockburn) Cowan (Stirling) McLean (Glasgow,  Dundee & Skye)

Offline pwl1951

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Sunday 15 December 13 15:19 GMT (UK) »
Gary,
        It was your gt. gt. grandfather and he died on 7th December 1944. He was last seen alive at 9.05am and his time of death was given as 8.45pm.
                                                                          Jim McI.
McIntyre/Fraser/McLachlan/Lister/Ferguson/Murray/Muir/Blackwood/Hutchison/Cochrane/Craig/Calderwood/McIntosh/Collie/Dott

Offline hannahlee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: Sunday 15 December 13 16:55 GMT (UK) »
hi my stevenson ancestors are

Robert STEVENSON 1733 -

Janet BRIDGEFORD 1730 -marred 1733 -Robert STEVENSON 1733 -

CHILDREN    
 Robert Stevenson 1765 -
 elspet stevenson 1768 -
 christian stevenson 1771 -
Isabella Stephenson/Stevenson
1775 - 1866
Born: Bothwell, Lanarkshire, ScotlandMARRED James Wilkie 1773 - 1808

Children (7)
Children with James Wilkie:1773 - 1808
    Elizabeth Wilkie 1802 -
    Janet Walker Wilkie 1804 - 1868
    Isabel Wilkie 1805 - 1805
    Katherine Wilkie 1805 -
    Isabel Wilkie 1806 -
    Margaret Wilkie 1807 -
    Mary Wilkie 1809 -

thats just one side then the other side these are both my direct lines
 James Stevenson 1687 -Margaret Stenhouse
there children

William Stevenson 1714 -Janet Burt
    James Stevenson 1712 -
    John Stevenson 1714 -
    Margaret Stevenson 1717 -
    Bessie Stevenson 1720 -

chidden of  William Stevenson 1714 -Janet Burt

JANET STEPHENSON 24 Apr 1749 -Born: Dunfermline, Fife, Scotland
    ANDREW Stevenson 1737 -
    WILLIAM Stevenson 1742 -
    ROBERT Stevenson 1743 -
    Christian Stevenson 1745 -
    david sevenson 1786 -

do they appear  in your tree
SCOBEL,SCOBELL,SCOBALL MILLER,AUSTIN, WARD,

JARVIS, HEADIN, WILSON, COCKBURN, THURLEY

MOODIE, MOODY, WARDLAW, DRYELLY, WILSON, BROUN, DRYELIE, HUNTER, DONALD, CORKRAN, STEPHENSON, WILKLE, WALKER, MASON,  MARTIN, SCOT

LUSTY, PIKE, PAYNE, THORNTON, KILBOURN, TOWN, BROWNHEAD, FULLER, INCH, DALBY, KENNARD, KITCHENER, RAE, LAWS, PENNY, WADDELL, SIMPSON, PERCRIAUX, ARMITAGE, BRICKLAND

BENNETT, MASON, ROBERTS, STEPHSON, MITCHELL,OWEN, HARROP, NORTON, HODGSON, HARRINGTON, ALLEN, FAIRBURN,HIRST, ROMA

Offline Chris McGinley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: Wednesday 29 January 14 00:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kaite

John Stevenson is my 5 times grandfather.  Our line comes through James born 1787.  I hope you manage to recieve this message as it would be great to be in touch with you.  The bible is amazing.

Chris, Hamilton, Scotland

Offline Mrs. BT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: Monday 28 July 14 05:51 BST (UK) »
William Stevenson & Isabella Dick were my husbands 2 x Gr Grand Parents. Their daughter Isabella Stevenson Married Robert Taylor 1874 Cauldhame, Bannockburn, Stirling. They had 9 children, 4th born Fanny Barr Taylor was his maternal grandmother. Fanny married  Stewart Houston Inglis 1907. Isabella was born in 1910, 1912 seen them sail to Australia. Isabella beibg hubby's mum.

Would love to share info and photo's.

Regard
Bev