Author Topic: Stevenson's from Bannockburn  (Read 74584 times)

Offline Fergie38

• RootsChat Veteran
  • There's only one eF in Ferguson
    • View Profile
Re: Stevenson's from Bannockburn
« Reply #63 on: Wednesday 03 August 11 11:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris.
The surname 'Bruce' is one that I have never come across in our branch of the Stevenson tree.

Cheers.
Ferguson (Stirling & Parish of Kincardine) Stevenson (Bannockburn) Cowan (Stirling) McLean (Glasgow,  Dundee & Skye)

Offline Chris9647

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Thursday 04 August 11 04:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks for checking, I'll keep searching and see if I can come up with something else for Isabella.
Christy

Offline deborahlouise

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Thursday 01 September 11 23:14 BST (UK) »
Hiya

My name is Deborah Palmer (nee Stevenson).  My father and grandfather were both named Montgomery Stevenson and came originally from Cowie, but then moved to Bannockburn. My Great-Grandad was, I believe a miner in Cowie. My Grandad was married to Elizabeth McLaren and I believe they ran a pub.  My Grandad died in 1978 and my darling Dad died in 2003 at the age of 76.  Both are buried in Bannockburn.  My Dad's sister - Mary Wilson (nee Stevenson) lived in St Anne's Crescent, Bannockburn and is also sadly dead now. My Dad played football for Bannockburn in his youth and after the war played for Hearts for a short time.

I have just found this site and reading all the posts feel sure that my Stevensons must be llinked somehow to those I have read about on this site.  I would dearly love to know more about my Scottish family.

Does anyone out there know anything about my Dad or Grandad???

Debbie

Offline Chris9647

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Friday 02 September 11 02:28 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure if we are of the same Stevenson's.  I know my Great Grandmother said she was from Bannockburn, born 20 Sept, 1852 and came over somewhere in the 1860's to America.  She married James Baird in 1870, Braidwood, Illinois.  I haven't been able to find her mother or father's name and don't know if she was accompanied by them.  I haven't been able to find her on a census in Bannockburn in 1851 or 1861.  Would love it if we could find a connection.

Offline HazelDavidson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Sunday 04 September 11 01:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbie,

I've had a look at Montgomery Stevenson, by the looks of it most of the Stevenson's were coal miners,
your great Grandad was also called Montgomery Stevenson he married Elizabeth Fyfe or Killin she is down with both of these names on the marriage certificate.
Montgomery Stevenson (born 15/4/1871 Carluke, Lanark) and Elizabeth Fyfe got married in 1894 in Tillicoultry, Clackmannanshire, his parents were:
Montgomery Stevenson (born 24/8/1845 Kilmarnock, Ayr) and Jane (Jeanie) Johnston who were married in 1869 Dalserf, Lanark his parents were:
Montgomerie Stevenson and Rebecca George who were married in 1841 Kilmarnock, Ayr. I can't find anything about them at the moment apart from he was a coal miner and Rebecca had died before her son Montgomery got married.

Montgomery( or Montgomerie) born 1845 was their third child and first son.

Hope this helps

Hazel

Offline deborahlouise

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Sunday 04 September 11 15:27 BST (UK) »
Hiya Hazel

Wow you are amazing.  I knew my family were miners and it seems all the men - grandad, great grandad etc were Montgomery as was the custom to name the first born boy after the father and the first born girl after the mother and so on. So I have 3 cousins called Elizabeth!!

Thanks so much for this information I am still very new to this so am not sure what the next steps are, but slowly and surely I hope to unearth more information.

Look forward to speaaking with you soon.

Kind regards
Debbie

Offline HazelDavidson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Tuesday 06 September 11 21:21 BST (UK) »
Hiya Debbie,

Your family is proving abit of a mystery to me!!!

I've been on ScotlandsPeople trying to find them in the 1851 census but they seem not to be there. I've had a look on ancestry and they seem to be there but i'm not sure if it's the same people.
When i searched for Montgomery and Rebecca's marriage certificate he was under Stevenson but i looked at someones family tree and they had him under Steven or Stevens!

I'm still searching just now but i will let you know more when i have it.

I know that when Montgomery Stevenson who was married to Jane Johnston died in 1909 and his son Gilmour Stevenson was present.

Regards
Hazel

Offline pwl1951

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Wednesday 07 September 11 21:57 BST (UK) »
To Chris9647. I have had a look for a possible father and mother for Isabella b1852 and have found 13 in St.Ninians,Stirling with marriage date just before she was born.
Alexander Stevenson + Isabella marr.12 Oct. 1845;
Alexander Stevenson + Margaret Ogilvie 7 Mar.1847;
David Stevenson + Janet 29 Sept. 1850;
Francis Stevenson + Janet Miller 19th Jan. 1845;
James Stevenson + Margaret Forsyth 22nd Mar. 1846;
James Stevenson + Margaret Gillespie 26th Apr. 1846;
John Stevenson + Isabella Cowan 29th Jun. 1851;
Moses Stevenson + Janet Gardner 15th Sept. 1850;
Nicol Stevenson +Elizabeth Johnston 5th Jan. 1851;
Robert Stevenson + Agnes Williamson 16th Sept. 1849;
Robert Stevenson + Elizabeth 3rd Feb. 1850;
Robert Stevenson + Margaret Richardson 10th Nov. 1850;
William Stevenson + Isabella Dick 4th Jan. 1846.
May help you if you can find a passenger list of immigrants with any of these names.
Good luck,Jim.
McIntyre/Fraser/McLachlan/Lister/Ferguson/Murray/Muir/Blackwood/Hutchison/Cochrane/Craig/Calderwood/McIntosh/Collie/Dott

Offline DUNMAC

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Friday 23 December 11 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,
         Just thought I'd throw this into the mix as all the family names connect up, Stevenson, Forsyth & Ferguson. Grandparents of Margaret Forsyth were James Forsyth & Elisabeth Dick. Anyone know of a connection to this post set.
                                           Cheers,
                                                        Dunmac.

Added: Only relevant sections of SP image of BMDs may be added for help with deciphering. Thank you.
McDonald: Patterson: Hart: Josey: Provan: Meldrum: Murphy: McIntyre: McEachern:McColl: Cupples: Burt: McCormack: Steele: Laird: Hardie: Robertson: Easton: Sneddon: Skinner: Stark: Shaw: Sanders: Chapman, Gordon, Grant, Littlejohn,  McLeod, McHattie: Younie: Ironside: Spalding, Smith: Mathieson: Ower:
Koens.

Morvern, Argyll: Glasgow, Lanarkshire: Falkirk, & Grangemouth, Kippen, Kilsyth: Stirlingshire: Dumfries & Borders, Scotland & England:
Aberdeenshire: Morayshire: Ireland: Netherlands.