Author Topic: Look up please - deaths and burials in Guernsey  (Read 3453 times)

Offline hall and walsh

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Look up please - deaths and burials in Guernsey
« on: Saturday 14 August 10 12:54 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for the graves of a number of my (Catholic) ancestors - their family name was Walsh or Welsh (the name is spelt differently in the 1851, 61 and 71 censuses). They moved from Ireland to Alderney  in the late 1840s, but then moved to St Peter Port after the 1861 census. I can't find them after 1881

I don't have the death certificates which would confirm their deaths in the C.I,  but the names are Patrick Walsh or Welch (b 1812 Ireland), his wife Mary (nee O'Connell, b abt 1812) ,  and their children John (b.1843 Ireland), Mary (b.1847 Ireland), Catherine (b.1850 Alderney), Margaret (b.1853 Alderney). 
Anther son William (1837, Ireland) went to US and Michael (b 1855) went to Australia. William returned to Guernsey in 1901 and wrote a letter saying that the family were all dead. 

Could someone please assist me either with advice about how to locate their death certificates or graves when I go to Guerney next month (from Australia?)

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)
Walsh family - Listowel, Kerry; Alderney, Guernsey,  Adelaide Melbourne, New York Texas
Hall family - Toberhewney, Lurgan; Derryhoar, Tyrone; Melbourne, Australia, Quin, Clare
Downes family - Cahermurphy, Kilmihil, Clare, Adelaide Australia
Neville family - Shanagolden, Limerick, Dandenong, Victoria, Australia
Hanora Barrett - Shanagolden, Limerick, Geelong and Dandenong, Victoria, Australia

Lawry family - St Austell, Cornwall, Tasmania, Kalgoorlie, Riddells Creek Australia

Offline Jane1972

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Look up please - deaths and burials in Guernsey
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 August 10 19:45 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I think your starting point would be The Priaulx Library in St. Peter Port, Guernsey.  They hold a lot of the records in Guernsey including birth, marriage and death records.  They also have burial records.  In Guernsey I believe a woman is listed on the death records under her maiden name and a lot of the records are listed under each parish so if you know which parish they were living in that would help. 

The Priaulx library have a good website priaulxlibrary.co.uk which lists a lot of the information they hold and also includes their contact details should you wish to get in touch with them before your visit.

Good luck,

Jane
Pestel, Wood (Jersey, New Tredegar, Westminster), Robert(s) (Jersey, Bradford, London, USA & Canada), Coppins (Sheppey), Davies (Monmouthshire),

Offline hall and walsh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 August 10 12:04 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know if Catholics had a separate cemetery on Guernsey?
Walsh family - Listowel, Kerry; Alderney, Guernsey,  Adelaide Melbourne, New York Texas
Hall family - Toberhewney, Lurgan; Derryhoar, Tyrone; Melbourne, Australia, Quin, Clare
Hanora Barrett - Shanagolden, Limerick, Geelong and Dandenong, Victoria, Australia

Lawry family - St Austell, Cornwall, Tasmania, Kalgoorlie, Riddells Creek Australia

Offline hall and walsh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 August 10 05:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply - unfortunately the info I have (besides the 51, 61 and 71 censuses) is non existent, and I don't know anything about the parishes so I think I'm back to square 1!

Hi,

I think your starting point would be The Priaulx Library in St. Peter Port, Guernsey.  They hold a lot of the records in Guernsey including birth, marriage and death records.  They also have burial records.  In Guernsey I believe a woman is listed on the death records under her maiden name and a lot of the records are listed under each parish so if you know which parish they were living in that would help. 

The Priaulx library have a good website priaulxlibrary.co.uk which lists a lot of the information they hold and also includes their contact details should you wish to get in touch with them before your visit.

Good luck,

Jane