Author Topic: Parents of John Scanlon born about 1882  (Read 7391 times)

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Parents of John Scanlon born about 1882
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 15 August 10 11:30 BST (UK) »
I had a look at the 1911 census for Drumfin. I found James Scanlon again at Carrownagark (note slight alteration to spelling)
ww.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Sligo/Drumfin/Carrownagark/753271/

Helpfully Norah and Catherine are absent (as they should be if they had gone to the US). However James is now married to Mary E Scanlon (for 8 years) and has 4 living children. He obviously married c 1902/3.

If you believe that James is your John’s brother, then the obvious thing to do would be to get his marriage certificate as that will give you their father’s name. You might also be able to locate James’ birth certificate c 1876, as that will give his mother’s name too.

Elwyn
Elwyn

Offline obbie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • miska moo samoyed and holly hunter cocker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 15 August 10 13:21 BST (UK) »
from
http://www.ellisisland.org/

no.1 oceanic , 1903 (riverstown) john 20 kate 19 nora 21 ,
lines through names means they did not sail .
your mention of atlantic city nj is not them this is for passenger keary going to sister kettle above your 3 .

no.2 attemt in april 1903 (sligo) did not sail
going to trenton nj to his brother patrick scanlon 117 or 119 sherman ave trenton nj

no.3 actuall sailing on ship cymric , to brother as above .

he did not sail with his sisters .

furthermore

he says hes living riverstown not that he was born there .

on
http://www.rootsireland.ie/
enter his name and date of birth with several years either side searched .
narrow down results by sligo button .
then search by parish , riverstown , no results except two births way outside date range .
so hes probaly not born riverstown but resided there before sailing .

id advise getting his usa marriage cert to find out fathers name so you can search above site using fathers name as filter and looking for brother patrick sisters kate and nora to cross match .

goodluck
 census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Hanrahan dublin - brock limerick dublin - farrington wicklow dublin - fagan dublin wicklow - mescall clare u.s.a - heron herring wales england

Offline obbie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 15 August 10 13:44 BST (UK) »
ellis site again

patrick scanlon sailed 1902 (record bad copy) going to uncle john gilmore 117 sherman ave trenton nj , hes only year or two older than his siblings .

Hanrahan dublin - brock limerick dublin - farrington wicklow dublin - fagan dublin wicklow - mescall clare u.s.a - heron herring wales england

Offline StevenWithers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 15 August 10 15:55 BST (UK) »
I'm assuming the John Scanlon that was on the Oceanic with Kate and Nora is mine becuase it says his occupation was "coachman" and on the 1920 and 1930 U.S. Census, it also says he owned his own taxi in Manhattan, New York--I thought coachman and taxi are the same sort of job.   So that's the assumption I am making.  Also, on both of these Censuses, it says he came over to America in 1903.

On the Ellis Island Manifest for the Oceanic (the one with Kate and Nora), there is no address written for where he is staying. Can you read it?

Obbie: So the lines through the names of John, Kate , and Nora on the Oceanic ship manifest mean they ended up not sailing on that ship, and therefore didn't come to America on the Oceanic, right? Also, on the no. 2  manifest you listed, are Kate and Nora listed? Thank you.

Offline obbie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 15 August 10 16:15 BST (UK) »
he came over by himself on 3rd sailing .

his sisters only mentioned on no.1 sailing
no.1 sailing he and his sisters cancelled and therefore didnt-wernt able to provide address of going to .

i cant find his sisters , checked all scanlons sailed between 1903 and 1910 , none , only his brother .

would be worth checking out uncle at address given by him and his brother . on the censuses and possible ship sailing ?

Offline StevenWithers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 15 August 10 16:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you. Ok so that definitely is my great-grandfather on the 3rd sailing and he does have sisters kate and nora and a brother patrick. is this all definite before i put it in my tree?

one more question: is that definitely his brother james in ireland? (the one who married mary e scanlon)

i will check his uncle in new jersey right now

thank you

Offline StevenWithers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 15 August 10 16:26 BST (UK) »
also on no. 2 and 3 , it says his occupation is laborer not coachman. do you think he changed his occupation in a month?

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 15 August 10 16:32 BST (UK) »
I would think to be certain of any brothers you would need to establish John's father's name from a US source - e.g. marriage or death cert. There could be several John & James Scanlons from Sligo - and it would be easy to get crossed and end up following the wrong family

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline obbie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 15 August 10 16:38 BST (UK) »
i think you need to get his marriage cert for his dads name and work backwards and have a proper paper trail , then link in siblings .

his sisters should be MAYBE on irish census 1911 , however there names can be spelt several ways .

as ellis island site is free id suggest you look throygh the records yourself and draw your own conclusions .

his brother is def. mentioned . as is uncle .
follow the paper trail work backwards .