Author Topic: Fothergills  (Read 2839 times)

Offline Teek10

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fothergills
« on: Saturday 14 August 10 21:13 BST (UK) »
Looking for parents of James Fothergill,b1706,d1758. He married Molly (Mary) Parkin or Perkin in Ravenstonedale on April 20th 1731. Their children were Isabel,Mary,John,James,Thomas and Robert.
Their first 2 children were born at Deepgill in Mallerstang,the remainder at Birkrigg.

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Fothergills
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 August 10 21:20 BST (UK) »
i am related very vaguely to the fothergills of ravenstonedale thru my Wharton family . there are screeds of letters from /to fothergills in the Kendal archive .also there is information at the ravenstonedale church . if you send me a pm i will send you the man who organises it .. also will look up my letters . go onto search here for fothergills you will find another researcher . bye cuzzie ..
 Jan
PS mine did stay in ravenstonedale ..
valentine.fairhurst,hayes,hammond,codling,rust.norfolk.deyrujo.jutsum.wharton.lacey,probert,prickett,preby atherley-jones.clifton ..london /china. judd, eubank , dixon , hine , airey ,park .twentyman , dampier , jones in suffolk , limby , derrick , stockwell..

Offline Darlingtonian

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 August 10 23:37 BST (UK) »
Hello Teek10,

I think james is as far back as most of us have been able to find....... Ron Long has been researching this Fothergill line for a long time and has been a great help to me. 

If you do manage to find any concrete information I'm sure all the Fothergills will be very interested.

Good Luck

Jean

Lidster, Mellanby, Milburn, Laidler, Peart, Thornton, Catterson, Ellwood, Ingleby, Ramage, Sedgewick, Collinson....... Co.Durham
Ingleby....Derbyshire
Ellwood, Rigg, Gibson, Park, Fothergill.....Westmorland

Offline FELLSMAN

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 August 10 20:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Teek 10
James is as far back as we have been able to trace this fothergill line but fothergill's were at Deepgill until about 1680
  A John Fothergill who married a Jane Birkbeck in 1656 and died in1659 had at least five children but what happened to these children is a bit confusing . The Perkin's were quaker's and it is highly probable that the Fothergill's were also quaker's  the Birkbeck's were also strongly quaker in the 1700's by which time they had moved to Settle in Yorkshire.
There were a lot of Fothergills living in Mallerstang and nearby Ravenstonedale at that time so that adds to the confusion.

Good Luck

Fellsman

Offline Teek10

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 23 August 10 20:22 BST (UK) »
Hello Fellsman.
Thanks for that . Looks like I am not going to get any further with the fothergills.
Teek

Offline Darlingtonian

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 23 August 10 22:39 BST (UK) »
Hello again Fellsman,

Nice to see (like me) you still keep in touch with the Fothergill threads.........

Jean
Lidster, Mellanby, Milburn, Laidler, Peart, Thornton, Catterson, Ellwood, Ingleby, Ramage, Sedgewick, Collinson....... Co.Durham
Ingleby....Derbyshire
Ellwood, Rigg, Gibson, Park, Fothergill.....Westmorland

Offline FELLSMAN

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 24 August 10 08:37 BST (UK) »
hi Teek 10
Have you a birth record for James ??
A possible christening was from march 1700 James Fothergill son of Jo Fothergill of Mallerstang .

cheers Fellsman

Offline Teek10

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 24 August 10 20:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Fellsman. Some ralatives of ours have been researching the Fothergills. They told us they got all their info by going up to Ravenstonedale and surrounding area, and going through books,archives etc in the library there.
I dont know where they got James birth from, or if they have an actual birth record,but will ask next time we meet up.
Thanks  Teek