Author Topic: Vital records New York  (Read 6300 times)

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Francis McNab 1874 - 1932
    • View Profile
Re: Vital records New York
« Reply #9 on: Monday 16 August 10 08:20 BST (UK) »
Cheers Lisa,

Sleep well.
Maggs
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 18 August 10 10:39 BST (UK) »
Problems with ordering cert. from NEW YORK CITY VITAL RECORDS AT THE MUNICIPAL ARCHIVES .   I tried to order online and twice had my credit card details go through and be "authorised" - only to then be immediately advised that the "Processor" failed to accept it... on checking with my bank, it seemed that the authorisation had been accepted, so checked with the Municipal archives - they said "address" problems.  Anyway, I am now too wary to try again online - already not sure if I will have charges on account!  Now decided to order via Snail Mail - only problem is - "Cheque or Money Order".... hmmmm.... Am amazed they don't have credit card option...  Cheque and money order expensive? Only way of ordering via "snail Mail"?... Has anyone else had problems with NYC Municipal Archives? 

McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 18 August 10 11:42 BST (UK) »
Hello Maggs,

So sorry to hear of your problem with New York Vital Records and really hope that the bank look at it sympathetically and you do not incur charges. I have never heard anyone having problems and it could just have been a "blip" but like you I would'nt want to take another chance.

In a lighter vain I had a similar experience myself at the weekend where it came up as Card Error, after numerous attempts I changed the card but still kept getting the same message.  When I rang the company they said it might have gone through and been processed, this had happened before but could'nt be checked until Monday. So I had vision of 15 steam mops arriving on my door-step !!!  Thankfully I managed to sort it all out.  ;)
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 18 August 10 11:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra,

Thanks for the commiserations!!  Maybe your experience with the Mops is similar to mine with the cert..  Oh well, - won't rush into the order.  It is one of those situations where I was going to be spending a fair amount - not knowing for sure even if the cert. is really the one I want or not!!  Won't rush into it... but good to know that it isn't too common a problem.
Maggs

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 18 August 10 16:21 BST (UK) »
Depending on what you're ordering, you may be able to order copies for less from the LDS church, and they take Visa or Mastercard.  The form is here - http://www.familysearch.org/eng/search/RG/images/FReqMicrofilm.pdf  You can check the catalog to see if they have microfilm to cover that time frame - http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 18 August 10 16:31 BST (UK) »
Hello Maggs,

That looks a better, safer option which shellyesq has put on for you.

I have just received this information which came from the Ask A Librarian section New York Public Library and wondered if it could help you at all (it was sent to someone I was trying to help out) :-

The best location in The New York Public Library for historical and genealogical research is the Stephen A. Schwarzman Building Irma and Paul Milstein Division of United States History, Local History and Genealogy (http://www.nypl.org/locations/schwarzman/milstein-division-us-history-local-history-genealogy), 476 5th Ave. and 42nd St., Rm. 121.

Contact information, including e-mail address, for the Genealogy Division is as follows:

First Floor, Room 121
Phone: (212) 930-0828
E-mail: histref@nypl.org

Regards
Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 19 August 10 05:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Shelley and Sandra,

Thanks again - sounds like good advice.  I have never thought of using FamilySearch.org for ordering certificates... have just had a look at the links, and will have to take my time - find it a bit confusing.  On Familysearch.. I can find birth for "my" "Jane Barron" 1891 - gives me a Film number, so presume I can order the birth entry for that one... but even though ItalianGen gives info re a Jane dying 9 months later - giving a "Certificate" number.. (is this the NYC Archives  certificate number?).... I am not finding the corresponding death on familysearch.org.... not coming up with any deaths at all for Jane.... hmmmm.... confused...  And I am hoping that the death entry, rather than the birth entry will give me more enlightening info about the family.

I obviously have a lot to learn !!!  will listen to tutorial clip on familysearch... might help... All advice much appreciated!

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 19 August 10 11:39 BST (UK) »
Am still struggling to find more info about Jane Barrons death - but in the process - through familysearch i have found another child Charlie Barrons, born in Brooklyn 1 May 1882...  (which helps me with being more specific with Shipping list searches)... So the progress may be slow, but it will happen lol ....   I often get "stuck", and forget to use all the possible avenues and websites available...!! Always loads to learn!

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 19 August 10 12:09 BST (UK) »
Yes, the number given on the www.italiangen.org site is the Death Certificate Number which you would need from NYC Archives.

Have you got any further details on Thomas and Jane, rough birth dates or anything ?

Presuming they were married in Scotland and immigrated before 1882 when Charlie was born.

Regards
Sandra