Author Topic: Orphan from ? county Cork with Nuns  (Read 6818 times)

Offline Ritty84

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Orphan from ? county Cork with Nuns
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 17 April 13 07:16 BST (UK) »
Hi sapphireblue, not to sure if you are still using this site but I am hoping you are. I am also after info on Mary, she was my great grandmother and any info would be of great help. Please let me know by email, *

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to protect against spamming and other abuses. Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility. See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 18 April 13 00:34 BST (UK) »
From what I have been able to find out...and follow up research...Mary was an orpan and came on the boat with 5 nuns, from research into that time etc, these nuns were coming over and bringing young orphaned girls over but NOT the boys, haven't found what happened to them yet.

But from the little other snippets of family "stories"and what the research came up with...1911 census 1 of the girls fits in with all info so far...but the spooky bit is...Mary had a TWIN brother brother (yes 1 set of twins have arisen in family but NO ONE else in family has ever known of twins, so where did that come from?)

But on the cencus this one that is right for marys age a twin boy is there, and go one census back, the young family is not at the address but the Older lady is still there...NOW what I have to do, is prove within the next 4 years, those two adults, mother and father of childern were deceased if so, that is the family we are chasing, then question is, what happened to Richard??  And that has been as far as I got with that as the flu hit and then things after that took a busy turn, but I can now look into this more again with a bit of a reduced hectic lifestyle for a while
And YES I would LOVE to know if they have the names of the nuns who came over with the children were as then I could find out which ship and which port she left from and arrived into but I have not heard anything else from Orphange/school, but learning about those sisters back then...brave ladies
Sapphire
Hi the following record which may be of interest. Miss Harris Age 7 Arrival Ship MEDINA Feb 1916. Port B Fiche 911 Page 004. This record is on www.prov.vic.gov.au/provguide-50 :)

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 18 April 13 18:05 BST (UK) »
Its possible to pick out the names of the nuns on the Medina Feb 1916
Rev Mother Forbes 41 B  911 003
Rev Mother Goddard 46 B 911 003
Sr Mary Annunciat 45 B 911 003
Rev Sister Tipping 39 B 911 003
This I am not sure about Madame Cody 29 B 911 003.
annclare
Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary

Offline sapphireblue67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 25 September 13 17:11 BST (UK) »
ritty84 would love a catch up
ENGLAND clarke Lincolnshire, Arthur?, Neighbour, Hardy, Holden, Ringer, Hill, GERMANY Hohmann Vogt, Auer, Metz, IRELAND Fitzgerald