Author Topic: Woolwich St. Mary Magdalene Marriage Record  (Read 2019 times)

Offline dinelson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Woolwich St. Mary Magdalene Marriage Record
« on: Sunday 15 August 10 16:29 BST (UK) »
I am looking for a marriage record that was not registered on the BMD registration between William Hodder b. in 1819 and Bridget Hanlon around 1840. He was a gunner in the Royal Artillary born in Huish Episcopi, she was born in Dublin. They lived in Plumstead from the time they had their first child, 1842 until at least 1851.

Any help would be appreciated!
Diana Nelson

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: Woowich St. mary Magdalene Marriage Record
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 August 10 16:40 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Are you certain that they married in Woolwich?   If Bridget was born in Dublin could they have married there?

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dinelson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Woowich St. mary Magdalene Marriage Record
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 August 10 17:03 BST (UK) »
I have looked in Roots Ireland and can't find a record there.

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Woolwich St. Mary Magdalene Marriage Record
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 August 10 17:10 BST (UK) »
Diana, I agree with you that it's not an obvious one.   I've done a search on London parish records and it didn't come up, nor was there a marriage on a general search for William, although the census records for him, Bridget and the children come up just as you said.
Is it worth looking for his service record?   I'm wondering where he had been serving in the 1830s, though they can't have married that much before the children were born as Bridget looked to be only 30 in 1851, when the eldest child was 8.
Have you checked parish records for Somerset?   It's not likely they went back to William's family but its not impossible
Census information Crown Copywright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk / National Archives of Scotland

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 August 10 17:14 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Have you found William, with or without Bridget, on 1841 census?

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 August 10 17:20 BST (UK) »
Diana, I tried searching for the eldest child, Mary, born 1843 in Woolwich.  Only the 1851 census came up, but there are 3 family trees on An**stry, all public, and all showing her birth and then her marriage to move to America.
All list William and Bridget but I can't see a marriage date.    Assuming none of them are your own trees, they might be worth a look.
The other thing, as Nanny Jan just asked, was have you found William and Bridget in 1841, either separately or together?     With Mary's birth in 1843 that might give you a clue

p.s. William and Bridget's marriage is listed on IGI as 1841, but unfortunately that's no help to you because it's member submitted without any supporting records

p.p.s just thought - Bridget Hanlon from Cork.   My understanding is that Parish Records are the C of E parishes, certainly in London.    Not at all sure if they include record of Roman Catholic marriages.   Any idea where they may have married, because you might need to look somewhere else, others will be more expert on that than I am
Census information Crown Copywright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk / National Archives of Scotland

Offline dinelson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 August 10 18:25 BST (UK) »
I can't find either one in the 1841 England Census.  Maybe he was stationed somewhere else with the RA in 1841? I am pretty sure they had to have been married right around then.

I did just contact the Royal Artillary Museaum and they will see if they can find anything on him.

My tree is on An**stry (Drummond Family Tree), Mary was actually born in Nov. of 1842 in Woolwich.

The children were all baptized at St. Mary Magdalene in Woolwich. Would there be records of this anywhere?

PS Thanks for all of your help!!!!! Some times it is good to get some new ideas as I have been at this one for a while.  :)

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 15 August 10 18:58 BST (UK) »
Woolwich was part of the Greenwich registration district until 1868.

3 christenings are listed although I can't see one for May

William Hodder, 25 December 1844. (born Nov 22) address: Artillery Place
Elizabeth Hodder, 27 December 1846 (born Dec 7) address: Ordinance Hospital
Walter Robert George Hodder, 25 December 1851 (born November 5) Address: Sandy Hill

All 3 show parents as William and Bridget Hodder, and William is shown as a Gunner, RA

I did wonder if Bridget was a second wife and Mary had a different mother, but the only Mary I can see doesn't have William down as her father

Hope this helps 
edit: just had a quick run through Nov 42 - Jan 43, as you have Mary's birthdate as 1 November.   I wondered if it was a mistranscription but still can't see an entry for her