Author Topic: Tips re Visiting Gloucs RO - Complete  (Read 2765 times)

Offline supermoussi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Tips re Visiting Gloucs RO - Complete
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 29 September 10 12:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Gillg,

Just a quick update re my visit;

It was pretty smooth really. Had no problems with Wills, PRs, Misc docs, etc., other than the sheer amount of data I "hoovered up". The staff were very helpful. Which was nice.  :)

I have shed more light on the families I was researching, although trying to trace further back has so far proved elusive due to the Commonwealth period and the sheer numbers of people with the same name! I also now better understand what was happening in the area at the time my rellies were there. I was reading a book on the history of the Cotswolds at the time of my stay and what I read tied in exactly with what I saw in the PRs, etc (i.e. medieval wealth, civil war, agricultural and industrial decline).

I stayed at the canal side Travelodge which, although not a 5-star hotel, was clean, comfortable and better than how most other Gloucester hotels sound..

The only real downside I can think of was the lack of a decaffeinated option in the coffee machine. My nervous system is still trying to settle down after drinking such an unnaccustomed amount of caffeine  :o

Thanks again for all of your help  :)

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Tips re Visiting Gloucs RO - Complete
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 29 September 10 19:44 BST (UK) »
Glad to hear your trip was so successful.  Sorry about the lack of decaf. :(

Now you have to sit down with all your material and sort it into some kind of form - good luck!

Gillg ;)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.