Author Topic: Valentine in Fettercairn and Stonehaven  (Read 9007 times)

Offline patval

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Valentine in Fettercairn and Stonehaven
« on: Sunday 15 August 10 21:02 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm researching my husbands family, The Valentines

I can get no father back than James Valentine b about 1775. His first appearence is when he marries Mary Ferrier in St Vigeans Arbroath in 1805, I have a suspicion that he may be the son of James Valentine and Margaret Clark of Mains of Arnhall, Fettercairn..... So many Valentines in that area, and so many named James....... a lot of family names and dates point that way.....

He starts his life as a weaver , then he had a short spell as a Sergeant Major in the Kincardineshire Militia. Finally he became a Stampmaster and Linen Manufacturer with premises on Barclay Street, Stonehaven... we estimate he died around 1837, so no death certification to help us.........

Are there any Valentines out there??   

Regards Patricia Valentine. 

ps there are two James V married to Mary Ferrier in that area... the second ones about 20 years later...
Names: Warden, McDonald, Muirison, Kirk, Valentine, Forbes. also Kift (Braunton in Devon)

Areas: Scotland - Edinburgh, Dundee, Moulin, Dunkeld, Alyth, Invernes, Dornoch, Findhorn, Wick, Peterhead, Aberdeen and Turriff. Also for Valentine and Forbes.. Stonehaven, Fettercairn, St Vigeans and Girvan.

Offline knitted dookers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Valentine in Fettercairn and Stonehaven
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 September 10 20:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Patricia

I have a James Valentine who married Isabel Skinner Strattton 3 Jun 1870 in Banchory Devenick. Both are buried at Nigg Churchyard.

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/nescotland/images/nigg5.jpg

I don't have a note of James's parents to hand. Not sure if there's any connection there...

Louisa
Researching the following names in the Northeast of Scotland:
ANDERSON, BEATTIE, BREBNER, EMSLIE, FULLERTON, GARVIE, GIBB, LEDINGHAM, MAITLAND, MORRISON, REID, REIDFORD, SPRING, STRATTON, TRAIL, WINTON

Offline thevalentines2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 May 12 18:37 BST (UK) »
Hello,

It has been a while since you posted, but I have some information related to a James Valentine who married Marg. Clark.

I had worked backwards from my G'fathers scrapbook then entered the quere into scotsorigin.

http://www.scotland.com/forums/genealogy/15773-valentine-duncan-family-aberdeenshire-kincardinshire-area.html

My father and I found gravesites in Porthlethen with the listed family.

hope this helps.
Pete

Offline patval

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 May 12 14:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Pete,

.. Same initial as me - I see - PV….

Lovely to hear from you, thanks for the link, I checked it out and found a discrepancy with my own research which has Alex. b1779  married to an Agnes Hampton (Hamton).

As far as I have been able to find James V and Margaret Clark had only two sons James b 1774 and Alex. B 1779… the records around that time in Fettercairn were hit and miss so there is a chance that other children were born to the couple…. My husband and I visited GROS in Edinburgh and searched the records there without luck.

You have:

John (Jo.) Valentine(G7) B: unknown, Married Elspet Scirot, had 5 children.

John Valentine(G6) B:1722, married Marg. Carnegie, 1747 Fettercarin. had 5 children.

James Valentine(G5) B:1759, married Marg. Clark, had  2 children.

Alex. Valentine(G4) B:1779, married Ann Burn, 1802 Garvock, had 9 children.

Francis Valentine(G3) B:1820, married Jane Stewart, 1857 Banchory, had 11 children.

I think I may have to go back to the drawing board..

I based my evidence on little concrete proof I’m afraid as evidence shows ‘our’ James Valentine died prior to statutory death registration so no help there  ….

There are the following clues which led me to believe that James and Margaret MAY be his parents...

1)   Their son James was baptised in Fettercairn on 23 April 1774. One other sibling found –  Alexander b 1779.
2)   ‘Our’ James and wife Mary Ferrier's only daughter was named Margaret! (Mary Ferriers mother was Ann Guthrie)
3)   Also in favour: - Margaret Clark's parents are recorded as Robert Clark and Anne /Agnes /Margaret Brown... (IGI)  James had a grand daughter named Margaret Brown Valentine...
4)   Two of James and Mary's sons (George and Henry) named a daughter Margaret!

Of James V and Margaret Clarks other son Alexander. I find an Alexander married Agnes Hampton in 1807; ‘Our’ James named a son James Hampton Valentine in 1810.

Although none of these clues are confirmed evidence I felt there was enough coincidences to have me believe I was on the right track….. However, your evidence seems to quash my theory……oh dear…

I would be interested to know more of your grandfathers scrapbook,  + Alex. Valentine and Ann Burn, & their children…

Many thanks for this as all info will put me in the right direction

Patricia V
Names: Warden, McDonald, Muirison, Kirk, Valentine, Forbes. also Kift (Braunton in Devon)

Areas: Scotland - Edinburgh, Dundee, Moulin, Dunkeld, Alyth, Invernes, Dornoch, Findhorn, Wick, Peterhead, Aberdeen and Turriff. Also for Valentine and Forbes.. Stonehaven, Fettercairn, St Vigeans and Girvan.

Offline patval

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 May 12 14:32 BST (UK) »
Hi, late reply to Louisa sorry, I should check more often

We have no evidence of the family in Banchory Devenick, but I will check up on that, thank you....

Amongst the Valentine's I'm afraid the name James is common, nearly every family appears to have one... confusing...

Thank you for your help.
Patricia V

Offline thevalentines2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 19 May 12 14:44 BST (UK) »
Dad has the scrapbook right now "somewhere".

I will get it from him and scan in the notes G'dad wrote in the back with a simple family tree that went back to Francis. I think I may have the scotsorigin print outs as well.

It has been a while since doing this geneology research. I was very focused just prior to and on return from our scotland trip.

Don't throw out what you have already as I have gone down paths that seemed incorrect based on other(s) information but panned out with a little more diligence. Connections are made and lost within just a few census records.

There were 100's of Valentines in the Fettercairn area on one census and then they were almost all gone with the following census.

How many James, Alex, Johns, etc there that lived in a fairly small area can be quite confusing.

Once I get the scans into the computer I will send you a message.

Offline patval

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 19 May 12 14:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks a lot Pete..

Ian and I stayed a few days in Fettercairn to do some research... visited the 'local' and was saddened to hear that NO Valentines lived there anymore.... how can things change so much?

look forwards to hearing from you later
bye
Patricia V

Offline Mgil2503

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 08 October 22 13:54 BST (UK) »
In reply to interest about Valentine’s of Fettercairn, I think you will find my sister Lorna Herring’s Valentine family tree on Ancestry, extremely useful. She has researched the family right back to the 1600s and many of the people queried will have links in our family tree. We are Valentine’s twice over as our Gt Grandparents were Valentine first cousins. They both are descended from David Valentine and Agnes Swan who lived in Benholm but his forebearers were from Fettercairn. Our line ended up in Perth, Scotland and our Gt Grandmother was born in Tasmania. There are many Valentine relations still there and the Scottish and Tasmanian family have maintained the link from 1860s onwards!

As for there being no Valentine’s in Fettercairn, well population is only 350! There are many of the family in nearby towns and Dundee and Perth. I am interested to know if any other Valentines from Fettercairn had ancestors who were Glasites? Our Gt Grandfather George Valentine was but I’m not sure how far membership of this church went.

I’ve found it to be a family with a strong identity in this corner of Scotland, some very interesting characters and certainly in our branch’s case a family who loved to travel but keep in touch with their roots. Hope this may help other Valentine researchers.