Author Topic: Noel Charles Furlong - Fosse House  (Read 11667 times)

Offline adf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Noel Charles Furlong - Fosse House
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 19 August 10 00:37 BST (UK) »
Sandy.

That's fantastic, thank you!

Andy
Furlong, Bunyan

Offline Wishful Thinking

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 22 April 12 13:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Andy

My grandfather Charlie Gibbons lived in Marston St Lawrence and used to take Reynoldstown to the races with Major Furlong.  Gramp used to have a picture of Reynoldstown being ridden by Frank Furlong, it hung in the hallway of his bungalow.  However, it was always the understanding that when Gramp died the picture should be returned to Frank’s daughter Griselda and this is what happened in 1986 when my grandfather passed away.  Unfortunately, I was not researching my family tree back then and therefore do not have a photograph of it.  I also have a note that his son Frank died in World War II, he was in a plane and his ejector seat failed to work. 

My grandfather was a farmer and used to do a bit of work for the Major, he has recorded this throughout his diaries doing the odd bit of ploughing or milking.  Also, in his diaries he recorded that the Major died suddenly aged 80 on 20 March 1963 and that he was buried on 25 March 1963.

My cousins still live in Marston St Lawrence and they are putting together an archive of historical events and photographs of the village or families that used to live in the village.  They are hoping to show all this information in early October 2012 in the Village Hall. I read that you have a scrapbook, if you should have any photographs that you feel would be relevant to this collection and would be willing to share them, please get in touch and I will let you have my email address.

Kind regards
Sue
Gibbons - Kings Sutton/Helmdon/Dunstew (Northamptonshire/Oxfordshire)
Barrett/Belcher/Rutland (Marston St Lawrence, Northamptonshire) 
Hawtin (Shenington. Oxfordshire)
Jones (Wales & Lancashire)
Ward (Birkenhead/Liverpool - Lancashire)
Please visit my website:  www.footsteps.myheritage.com

Offline adf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 22 April 12 13:32 BST (UK) »
Sue,

Thanks for your information, that's really interesting. My connection to the Furlongs is mysterious. My cousin lives in Texas and it was her grandmother who had a newspaper clipping of Frank, Noel and Reynoldstown in her scrapbook. The caption reads "my cousins". Lizzy was born in Cosheston, Wales, but moved to the US as a young girl in the early 1900s.

I have very little information regarding the actual link between Lizzy and the Furlongs, which is frustrating.

I appreciate you sharing your information.

Thanks

Andy Furlong
Furlong, Bunyan

Offline Wishful Thinking

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 23 April 12 07:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Andy

Thanks for your quick reply - I hope you solve your mystery, we all have at least one in our family tree.  Mine is my grandmother's father and family.

Have you used the genealogy search tool by Randy Majors?  It instantly found all the posts by your cousin Lonna but might be beneficial to you in other ways.

http://randymajors.com/p/ancestorsearch.html

Kind regards
Sue
Gibbons - Kings Sutton/Helmdon/Dunstew (Northamptonshire/Oxfordshire)
Barrett/Belcher/Rutland (Marston St Lawrence, Northamptonshire) 
Hawtin (Shenington. Oxfordshire)
Jones (Wales & Lancashire)
Ward (Birkenhead/Liverpool - Lancashire)
Please visit my website:  www.footsteps.myheritage.com