Author Topic: *Completed*William RICHARDSON - bookbinder  (Read 11831 times)

Offline Philcandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
*Completed*William RICHARDSON - bookbinder
« on: Monday 16 August 10 08:26 BST (UK) »
Dear listers

I have only recently discovered that a family member I have been searching for moved to Dublin in the early years of the nineteenth century, and I'm wondering if anyone can help to pick up the trail?

I am seeking information about Elizabeth CANDY, from Doulting in Somerset, who married William RICHARDSON near Bath in 1824. She was born in 1793; I'm guessing that he was aboput the same age.

There's no sign that they had any children in England, but I have now been told that he was a bookbinder and that they moved to Dublin.

Is there any sign of this couple in record sources that people can see?  Once I find them I can look for other links such as children who might have lived with them or burial records.

Any help with this inquiry would be very welcome.

Thanks in anticipation.

Philip Candy

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William RICHARDSON - bookbinder
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 August 10 12:36 BST (UK) »
I had a quick look at the Thom's Directory where there is a William Richardson listed in 1852 at #9 Capel Street described as a book seller
Thomas Richardson & Sons are also listed at the same address as printers, publishers and stationers.
Thomas was at this address in 1850 but William was not.

This may tie in for you
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline Philcandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 August 10 13:16 BST (UK) »
Many thanks; I will follow up this lead. In the meantime I have been told that they had a son named Charles Frederick, and that William and Elizabeth both died in Dublin in the 1860s.

Does this help to narrow the search?

Philip

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 August 10 13:23 BST (UK) »
It might be worth checking the Dublin City parish records for details of William and Elizabeth. see : http://www.irishgenealogy.ie/ More records are due to be added later this year.

I had a quick check but didn't see anything promising.

Following on from the details myluck! located,  I'll check for other earlier and later directories for additional details  later this evening.

Full civil registration started in Ireland in 1864 - see Introduction to Irish Records

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 August 10 16:13 BST (UK) »
Following on from the news of Charles and Shane's suggestion of using the Irish Genelogy site

Charles Richardson of 26 Pleasant Street married Louisa Cox of  Doler St on 24th Feb 1855 in St. Peter's CoI - Charles's Father was William a bookbinder - see link
http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/reels/d-45-3-10-021.pdf

26 Pleasant Street may have been William's address if Charles was living at home

They had at least five children
William b. 12.Dec.1855 bap. 08.Jun.1856 St. Peter's CoI
http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/reels/d-45-2-11-019.pdf

Frederick b.03.May.1857 bap. 14.Jun.1857 St. Peter's CoI
http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/reels/d-45-2-12-017.pdf

Charles Alfred b.07.May.1859 bap. 18.Jun.1859 St. Peter's CoI
http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/reels/d-45-2-13-043.pdf

Louisa Sarah b.28.Jun.1862 bap. 26.Sep.1862 St. Peter's CoI
http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/reels/d-45-2-14-118.pdf

living at  8 Clanbrassil Terrace

George Louis b. 18.Nov.1863 bap.24.Apr.1864 CoI Rathmines
http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/reels/d-545-2-1-047.pdf

change of address to Leinster road West Rathmines
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 August 10 18:37 BST (UK) »
some directory details...

Pettigrew & Oulton 1840

West & Sons, 9 Capel St, goldsmiths

Thom's 1848

Thomas Richardson & Sons, 9 Capel St, printers, publishers & stationers

The address is shared with Mr. Thomas Popple & Sibtorpe Bayly, solicitor.

Thom's 1863

Thomas Richardson & Sons, 9 Capel St, printers, publishers, wholesale booksellers & stationers

The street listing has the trade at this address as 'wholesale & export Catholic booksellers', and show them sharing the address with Tully McKenna, solicitor

W. Richardson, 26 Pleasant St, bookbinder
  (same address that Charles married from)

Similar details for Capel st in 1868, except the listed has 'Thos. and Jos. Richardson and son...'

Thom's 1872

The Capel st address (now 9 and 10) is still a wholesale bookseller & stationer but now run by John Elwood and son.

26 & 27 Pleasant st is occupied by Mr. Thos. Dunne

Charles F. Richardson, Commercial Buildings, Heraldic Engraver (this is off Dame St)
   residence : Bothhampton Cottage, Tallaght (he is described as farmer and engraver in this section)

I haven't found any mention of William or Thomas in this edition.

Shane

Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 16 August 10 19:56 BST (UK) »
Shane I found a death possibly William in 1868 that I PMed with some other info to PhilCandy
Further generations:

Offline Philcandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 16 August 10 20:52 BST (UK) »
Hello

It is now early morning in Australia, and I have woken to find your wonderful and very helpful postings overnight. Thank you so much for this assistance.

So, it looks as if Thomas RICHARDSON may have been William's father? Or do you think he could be a brother?  If William was born about 1790, then his father would have been born around 1775, so by 1848 he would have been into his seventies. Is there any sign of a death that could be his?

I have also received an email overnight suggesting that Charles Frederick had a sister Emily who may have married in the same church - St Peter's Church of Ireland - around 1852. Is there any sign of this, or indeed of other members of the RICHARDSON family marrying in the same church?

The death entries seem very promising; since they both occurred after Civil Registration, it could be worth getting the death certificates. Alternatively, are there online Cemetery records that could be worth a look?

Once again, many thanks for all your help.

Kind regards

Philip Candy

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 16 August 10 21:03 BST (UK) »
All the records myluck! posted come from the website at www.irishgenealogy.ie ,and this includes some death/burials. The only cemetery online at the moment is Glasnevin - http://www.glasnevintrust.ie/  (pay website).

St. Peter's Church (CofI) was on Aungier Street.

A little bit later than you mentioned - here's the marriage of Emily Richardson in St. Peter's : Marriage of Robert Jones and Emily Richardson - 30 January 1862

The father's occupation is a little different, but his name and the bride's address look familiar..

See this link for details on the Civil BMD Index, ordering certs etc : Introduction to Irish Records

Shane
My Surname Interests