Author Topic: *Completed*William RICHARDSON - bookbinder  (Read 11833 times)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: William RICHARDSON - bookbinder
« Reply #9 on: Monday 16 August 10 21:08 BST (UK) »
Charles F., the engraver is mentioned in directories with his business at Commercial Buildings, Dame St up to the mid 1880s.. and then vanishes. He is does not seem to be listed anywhere in Thom's 1894.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Philcandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 16 August 10 21:46 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for this additional information. It is wonderful to be able to see scans of the actual entries; it makes the people seem more real somehow.

There's no doubt that the marriage of Emily to Robert Jones is the right person; this is a real bonus.

As far as Charles's disappearance out of the records is concerned, it appears that he and his wife Louisa emigrated to Australia. I have found her death in 1899, so that would explain why they stop appearing in the Dublin directories.

Thanks once again for all your help.

Kind regards

Philip Candy

Offline Quaxer

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 16 August 10 23:40 BST (UK) »
Philc

Following in the steps of others,I hope that some of the following may be of use
All from The Irish Times newspaper at No.9 Capel Street
From the edition  14th July 1863 in an advert.      Thomas Richardson & Son
                             19th December 1868 Page 1 Advert. Mr Richardson sold out to Mr.Elwood----- Austin B.Nowlan no
                                                                                         longer connected with the business.
                              19th March 1875  Page 8  Advert. Thomas Richardson's stock for auction        (???)
                               13th March 1876  Page     7  Advert.  Thomas Richardson  ---died 20th February 1875
There were other occupants of the premises when Richardson was there.
Can anybody give a number for the address on Leinster Road West. I have an entry for a house there which may be relevant.

Regards         Quaxer

Offline Philcandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 17 August 10 00:35 BST (UK) »
This is really brilliant. It's looking as if William and Thomas were brothers (or maybe cousins) rather than father and son, but the death date for Thomas is really useful. Since his company was called Thomas RICHARDSON and Sons, it seems likely that there will be other members of the family in Dublin, perhaps also in the book trade (binding, engraving, selling etc)

Thanks so much for posting this.

Kind regards

Philip

Offline Philcandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 05 September 10 21:14 BST (UK) »
Philc

Following in the steps of others,I hope that some of the following may be of use
All from The Irish Times newspaper at No.9 Capel Street
From the edition  14th July 1863 in an advert.      Thomas Richardson & Son
                             19th December 1868 Page 1 Advert. Mr Richardson sold out to Mr.Elwood----- Austin B.Nowlan no
                                                                                         longer connected with the business.
                              19th March 1875  Page 8  Advert. Thomas Richardson's stock for auction        (???)
                               13th March 1876  Page     7  Advert.  Thomas Richardson  ---died 20th February 1875
There were other occupants of the premises when Richardson was there.
Can anybody give a number for the address on Leinster Road West. I have an entry for a house there which may be relevant.

Regards         Quaxer

Many thanks for these helpful entries.  I have been doing a bit more searching, and am not convinced that Thomas and William were in fact related, but I have found a bit more information about William RICHARDSON, and wonder if the Irish Times might throw any light on his life - personally or professionally.

In particular, I am seeking information about his death, which is likely to be around 1868 or 1870, but I also know that he had five children who might have married (or died) in Dublin. They are Emily (who married Robert Jones in 1862); Maria Louisa; Eliza; William; and Charles Frederick. This last married Louisa Matilda COX in 1855 (before the Irish Times began) but in looking at their online index, I have found a few mentions of his work as an engraver, under the name "C F Richardson"

You ask for a number in Leinster Road, which I can't provide. But I do know that Charles lived for a time at 8 Clanbrassil Terrace, Dublin, if that helps.

Is there any chance that you could find any further information on this family using the newspaper as a source? I would really appreciate your help.

Kind regards

Philip Candy

Offline Quaxer

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 06 September 10 01:00 BST (UK) »
Philip C.

Not a great deal more I'm sorry to say.
At 3 Leinster Road West on Page 8 (advert.) of the edition of 11th September 1886.....    Sheriff's sale of Richard's ,Gill's and Harris' furniture.     Yes, it does state Richards (and not Richardson). That is the only entry I have for Richard(son) for Leinster Road West for 1859-1901. I do not know who Gill and Harris were.
Clanbrassil Terrace is stated by Thoms 1911 to be on Clanbrassil Street. I looked in that Thoms ,Slaters 1894 and Shaw 1850 but could not find the precise location.I also looked at all the entries I have from the Irish Times for both Lower and Upper Clanbrassil Street but could find nothing of interest. I also looked at Clanbrassil Place  which is very near on the South Circular Road but again there was nothing of interest.
Maybe another reader might have some input and I could look elsewhere for you.
Regards     Quaxer

Offline Philcandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 06 September 10 02:30 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for this look-up.

I must say that I have found those scanned newspaper images to be very difficult to search; a simple thing such as the OCR software mistaking an 'o' for an 'e' or a 'j' for an 'i' can mean that no amount of searching will find what turns out to be a relevant entry.

The 'papers past' website of the New Zealand National Library (http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast) and the historical papers section of the National Library of Australia (http://newspapers.nla.gov.au/) are both absolute treasure troves for finding references to family members and relatives, but a single misplaced or illegible letter can make all the difference between finding or missing a relevant entry.

In any case, thanks so much for looking for me; I certainly know much more about the Richardson family of Dublin than I did before I started out on this inquiry, and it's all due to the helpful postings from people responding to my initial query.

Kind regards

Philip Candy

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 06 September 10 10:01 BST (UK) »
It looks like Clanbrassil terrace was located on the street named Dowker's Lane which ran between Lwr Clanbrassil St and Black Pitts. The street itself is now named Clanbrassil Terrace. See the 25" OSI map (c1890) : Dowker's Lane/Clanbrassil Tce  (press 8 to see the 25" map, or 1 to see the modern map, or select from the options to the right)

Dowker's lane is mentioned in Thom's 1894 street listing for Clanbrassil St Lower as between numbers 103 and 104, but no details are not included in the street listing. The index to streets mentions Clanbrassil Terrace, but strangely does not include an entry for Dowker's Lane.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Philcandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 06 September 10 10:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks Shane

The map link is really interesting.  All this helps me to imagine the context for this family.

Kind regards

Phil