Author Topic: The PEACOCKS of Matching  (Read 1358 times)

Offline GeePee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The PEACOCKS of Matching
« on: Monday 16 August 10 08:38 BST (UK) »
I am descended from the Peacocks of Matching/High Laver. It is a very common name in that area and their are other relations in Great Parndon.
The earliest relatives I can find are John b 1710, d June 1742 = Mary Church whose decendants I have traced down to my Grandfather Henry (Harry) who lived on the 'Green' until his death in 1966 aged 88.
Henry's children were Jim, Hetty, Lily and my father Len.

Anyone knowing the family and who can add anything more to its history, please get in touch, as, although I have researched history back to 1710, I would love to go back even further, but I am now 'stuck'.

Offline Storm™

• RootsChat Member
  • John Patrick Cox b. 17th March 1906 - My Grandad
    • View Profile
Re: The PEACOCKS of Matching
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 December 10 13:18 GMT (UK) »
You could try here I am researching the same family as well, descended from Joseph Peacock of matching essex, and Mr Burgar who's website this is has done extensive research as well as DNA testing you may be able to help each other.

burgar.net  - short address but plug that into your address bar and it works

Offline GeePee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 December 10 13:49 GMT (UK) »
You could try here I am researching the same family as well, descended from Joseph Peacock of matching essex, and Mr Burgar who's website this is has done extensive research as well as DNA testing you may be able to help each other.
burgar.net  - short address but plug that into your address bar and it works

Thank you for that link. Strange, Bill Burgar contacted me for mutual information some years ago and I responded but did not follow up. Got his address in my address book. Web site looks really informative.  :)
Graham

Offline jt123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 July 23 14:07 BST (UK) »
Hello, I am also tracing our family line of Peacock in Matching Essex - we come through an Elizabeth Peacock born 1797 to John and Ann Peacock. Problem is there is no other record of this Ann being married to a John Peacock and everyone assumes it the mother should be Mary Little - and that the parish priest must have made a typo.  However Mary did have a sister Ann - so it is not inconceivable that either Elizabeth was born to Ann and John out of wedlock or else there may have been another John Peacock to whom she was married that wasn't recordered?  I know the Burger web site has some theories but I was wondering if anyone else has managed to solve the mystery?
Thatcher - Uffington, Berkshire
Fortescue - Baulking, Bekshire
Harding - Cookham, Berkshire
Brown - Eastwick and Netteswell Essex
Swaffield - St Helier, Jersey
Limer - Uttoxeter, Staffordshire
Lade - Sussex
Appoo / Ah Poo - Bendigo Australia, China