Author Topic: Charles Henry Godfrey (1880-1968)  (Read 1202 times)

Offline Hilliard

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Charles Henry Godfrey (1880-1968)
« on: Monday 16 August 10 09:37 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for details, particularly the birth/baptism, of my great grandfather, Charles Henry Godfrey, who was married (aged 21) on 29 September 1901 at St Benet's Stepney to Annie Amanda Sprake.  His father was James Henry Godfrey, a barber.  His address at the time of his marriage was 53 St Thomas's Road, although he was not living there at the time of the 1901 census.  I cannot find him on the 1891 or 1881 census returns, nor can I find his birth or baptism.  Despite looking at the records of a large number of people with the name of Charles Godfrey, I have not been able to trace my great grandfather.  I understand that he served in the army, but have not found any record of him serving in either the Boer War or the First World War.  In 1911 he was living in Hastings and he subsequently moved to Nottingham. He lived in Nottingham until his death in 1968. I believe that he had two sisters who lived in Derbyshire, but I do not have any facts about his life before 1901.  Any information or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Henry Godfrey (1880-1968)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 August 10 11:09 BST (UK) »
What is Charles's occuaption on his marriage cert? ( I see dad was a barber, but what about Charles himself)

And does it actually sat exactly 'age 21' or could it be 'over 21' or 'of full age' indicating that he was anything 21+

What age and place of birth does he give on 1911?

(1901 has a Charles H Godfrey with a father James at RG13 1246 12 16, but dad is a sign writer, so prob not him, but just worth noting in case it becomes relevant)
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nigelp

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 August 10 11:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Lizdb,

The same post can be found at the following link and which provides additional information:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,475605.msg3350105.html#msg3350105

The 1901 Census entry to which you refer has previously been considered on the other thread.

Nigel
Essex - Burrell, Thorogood
Norfolk - Alcock, Bowen, Bowers, Breeze, Burton, Creamer, Hammond, Sparkes, Wakefield, Wiggett
North Devon - Burgess, Chalacombe, Collacott, Goss
Northamptonshire - George, Letts, Muscutt, Richardson
Somerset - Barber
Wiltshire - Brine, Burges, Carey, Gray, Lywood, Musselwhite, Perris, Read, Turner, Wilkins

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 August 10 11:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks!

(why oh why ...)
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hilliard

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 August 10 12:14 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your comments.Charles Henry was described as an Insurance Agent in 1901 on his marriage certificate and an Agent in Photography on the 1911 census. His place of birth is stated as Islington,London and he was 30. We have checked out the Charles H Godfrey on the 1901 census but he was Charles Harold.