Author Topic: Sim Family of Luseland, Saskatchewan  (Read 1893 times)

Offline lawrenceb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sim Family of Luseland, Saskatchewan
« on: Monday 16 August 10 23:21 BST (UK) »
The Sim family emigrated from Aberdeen, Scotland to Luseland, Saskatchewan in the early 1900s, exact date unknown. 
 James Wood Sim and Mary Morrison Brown were married in Aberdeen in 1897.
Three of their children were apparently born in Aberdeen:  William, Mary and Helen, while 2 were apparently born in Luseland, Vanetta and James.   Is there anyone researching this family?
Thanx!
Cumming: Woodside Aberdeen
Lawrence: Banffshire, Aberdeenshire, Newcastle upon Tyne

Offline jeffster

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Sim Family of Luseland, Saskatchewan
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 August 10 07:49 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I am not researching the family, but was able to find a few things while searching the web.

A small family history write up (There are 2 volumes to the town's history book some photographs are mixed throughout just search for Sim and you should get results:

http://www.ourroots.ca/page.aspx?id=4014196&qryID=0b07fcf0-519d-4df6-9704-6d8e543e1bd7

Oh at least 2 of the children are born in Winnipeg, you can search for them at the Manitoba vital statistics database here:

http://vitalstats.gov.mb.ca/Query.php

I was able to find one of the children of James and Mary died in Vancouver here:

http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#surname=fraser&collection=fs%3A1538285&searchType=close&p=recordResults&givenName=Henry

The James Jr. who died in WW2 can be found at the Canadian Virtual memorial:

http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/remembers/sub.cfm?source=collections/virtualmem

Hope this helps

Jeff

Offline lawrenceb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 August 10 15:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you.  The information you gave me was amazing!  Got it all.  Jimmy Jr. was one of the Canadian relations who visited with my mother's family in Scotland when she was a child during WWII: he gave her a Canadian dollar. 
Much appreciated, Jeff!

Barb

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 August 10 18:11 BST (UK) »
Corinthian from Glasgow to Quebec City arriving July 10 1907 with
Mary Sim, 30, Housewife (baker typed alongside entry - husband was listed as baker in 1911 census)
William 7, Mary 4, and Nellie 2.  Destination is B(?)anning, Ont.

1911 census gives James immigration as 1906 and his wife and children as 1907.  The 1916 census shows 1908 immigration for all.  1911 census shows the twins birth in Manitoba and the 1916 shows them as born Sask. but their birth was registered in Manitoba as previously noted.

1916 census for Luseland shows that both James and William were serving in WWI.  James in Canada at Camp Douglas and William has an O for overseas - can't decipher his camp.  There is the addition of Laurence Sim - under 1 year of age.

Debbie

Offline jeffster

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 August 10 18:29 BST (UK) »
I think the ones you found Deb are the Sim's.  They were a baker at Luseland, I believe there is a picture of him with a cake too, good work!

Jeff

Offline lawrenceb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 August 10 19:01 BST (UK) »
Great work!  Thank you both for the help and information.  I found the birth of the twins in Winnipeg.  Also found a death for Helen Burnett Fraser in Vancouver in May of 1974.  An interesting sidelight for those who do family tree research:  the page from the Register of Births for Aberdeen contains the birth of both James Sim and Mary Morrison Brown.  Rarely does it come that easy

Have a great day!
Barb