Author Topic: RATTRAY Robert Brydon  (Read 13845 times)

Offline Noandra

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
RATTRAY Robert Brydon
« on: Tuesday 17 August 10 05:35 BST (UK) »
Could someone help me please, I am trying to find out more on parents and siblings of Robert Brydon RATTRAY  b 1838 in Edinburgh, he marrried Sarah BEATTIE b abt 1838 - Married on 20-11-1859 at Edinburgh Parish, Edinburgh, Midlothian.
They had 2 children Robert Beattie (may be Bryden) Rattray b 1850 Midlothian & Charles Rattray b 1860 Midlothian.
I believe Sarah Beattie's parents were Robert Beattie and Mary (unknown). I do not know who Robert Brydon Rattray's parents were.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: RATTRAY Robert Brydon
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 August 10 07:22 BST (UK) »
Hello
Not able to help here unfortunately other than to highlight as you may know that this is an 'extracted record' on the IGI- no birth on IGI shows, which means you'll have to source a copy from the official govt website at:

www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk   Min spend £6.00 buys 30 credits which allows for the download of up to 5 bmds or copies of census records.  Costs 6 credits for 1 download.  Entry will give names of both, addresses and cccupations of both and will gve both parents names and mothers maiden name.  Witnessesare sometimes family members.

Am curently out of credits and can't access downloads from where I currently am.

Good luck.  Steve  :)

Offline Noandra

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 August 10 08:02 BST (UK) »
Hi, Piglet, thanks for the offer, I would try that, but being in Australia it is a bit difficult getting the credits from dollar to pounds. I guess I will have to try some other way.

Offline Piglet01

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 August 10 20:46 BST (UK) »
Hello Noandra

No problems, please refer to my personal message sent.

As Robert Rattray had the middle name of Brydon, it makes life much easier to do searches on the IGI at www.familysearch.org.uk

On the IGI, I find 4 children born to a Robert Brydon Rattray and Sarah Beattie - 'extracted' which means they are taken from the records.  All born Edinburgh Parish, Edinburgh, Midlothian.

Go check and download.

Charles Rattray b.  17 Apr, 1860
Mary Beattie Rattray b.  26 June 1863,
Robert Beattie Rattray b.  06 Aug 1867
John Beattie Rattray 16 June 1870

Please note:  Born to a Robert Rattray and a Sarah Beattie is a Robert Beattie Rattray b.  21 Apr 1865 - also in Edinburgh Parish.  I'm sure he's one of 'yours' to the above couple.  A free search on Scotlands People shows that in all of Scotland 1855 to 2006 there is only 1 Robert Beattie Rattray dying.  He dies in 1866.  I'd assume that following his death another male child was born and given the same name.    I assume the other RB Rattray emigrated?

Are there any souls out there who can provide census records for this family in the 1871 - or had they emigrated by then?

Regards,   Steve  :)

Offline Noandra

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 August 10 02:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for your help.
Something seems wrong, perhaps it is in my records. I have Robert Brydon Rattray married to Sarah Beattie on 29-11-1859. Then their son Robert Brydon Bryden Rattray was born in 1850 - 9 years before their marrage. I have no proof of birth data though so the Robert Beattie Rattray b.  21 Apr 1865 could be one and the same, except he is 6 years younger. I will have to see if I can find proof to link them.
R B Rattray emmigrated to Australia onboard the ship "Wodong" Brisbane to Sydney 8-5-1916 - Ancestry.com, I will have to double check to see if this is the right one.

Offline Piglet01

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 August 10 06:56 BST (UK) »
No problems

What you need to do is to work back from what is definitely known. What is the name of the man who dies is Australia whom you are working back from? 
Is it a Robert Brydon or a Robert Beattie - if a death entry gives his parents as Robert Brydon Rattray and Sarah Beattie  - he's the Robert Beattie Rattray who was born in on 06 Aug 1867.  Remember the first Robert Beattie Rattray dies in 1866.

At the very least you also need to work forward with this family in the census records - if you think he was born in 1850 which I doubt, the 1861 census should have 2 Roberts with the family, it'll give their ages and will solve the conundrum.

Good luck.

Regards,  Steve

Offline Noandra

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 August 10 08:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve,
I did not see your message till now sorry,
I have been doing some searching here. and found
on Family Search -
Robert Brydon Rattray b 11-5-1891 Qld died 28-2-1847 Father Charles, Mother Mary Fenwick
Qld BDM records show
Births for Charles Rattray and Mary Fenwick
 Robert Brydone 1891
 Charles Beattie Dunlop 1889
 James Fenwick 1894
Marriage of Charles and Mary Fenwich in 1888 Queensland
Death of Charles Brydone Rattray 1946 - Father Robert Brydone and Mother Sarah Beattie.
So that is Charles b 1860 (his 2nd name changes)

Brother Robert b 1850 is married to
(1)Augusta Mary Willsher b 1855 Botley - 2 children (and you guessed it one was a Robert Beattie b 1898 )
(2) Alice Baldwin marriage  2nd marriage confirmed Qld BDM 1906. 9 children (and one is Robert Bryden b 1920 )
That is what I have so far but still not much on Robert and Sarah except what you have found.

I will have to go through all that closely tomorrow - thanks so much for your help.

Offline Piglet01

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 18 August 10 08:37 BST (UK) »
So, to clarify to others who may help with census records.

You are following back through a:

Charles Rattray b.  17 Apr, 1860 who marries a Mary Fenwick in Queensland in 1888.  So we look for UK census records for '61, 71, and 81. 

He dies in 1946 as Charles Brydone Rattray giving his parents as Robert Brydon Rattray and Sarah Beattie.  (do you have any death info for the Robert and Sarah?  Only one Sarah Rattray other name Beattie dies in Scotland 1855 to 2006).

(As I said, I'll get hold of that birth entry - when home (currently offshore and can't access certain databases.)  Even if he added the middle name himself - it's not an issue - I've a case of someone in my wifes line doing that and I've no idea where the name came from - in your case you do - his dad.

I won't post any more messages on this thread - hopefully others can contribute?

Regards,   Steve   :)

Offline Noandra

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 18 August 10 08:47 BST (UK) »
Hi,
So, to clarify to others who may help with census records.

You are following back through a:

Charles Rattray b.  17 Apr, 1860 who marries a Mary Fenwick in Queensland in 1888.  So we look for UK census records for '61, 71, and 81. 

He dies in 1946 as Charles Brydone Rattray giving his parents as Robert Brydon Rattray and Sarah Beattie.  (do you have any death info for the Robert and Sarah?  Only one Sarah Rattray other name Beattie dies in Scotland 1855 to 2006).

I want to know about Charles but also his brother Robert  (direct ancestor)
Brother Robert b 1850 is married to
(1)Augusta Mary Willsher b 1855 Botley - 2 children (and you guessed it one was a Robert Beattie b 1898 )
(2) Alice Baldwin marriage  2nd marriage confirmed Qld BDM 1906. 9 children (and one is Robert Bryden b 1920 )

"I am trying to find Robert Brydon Rattray and Sarah Beattie, Robert and Charles parents... "

Sorry I have no death records for Robert and Sarah. A brick wall for Robert.
Sarah's parent's were Robert Beattie and Mary, no other details.
Noandra