Author Topic: RATTRAY Robert Brydon  (Read 13846 times)

Offline Jokdy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: RATTRAY Robert Brydon
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 21 August 10 17:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Noandra

It would seem Robert's son John, the informant on Robert's death certificate got Robert's father's details wrong!

Robert's father was in fact Charles Rattray not William.  I have been able to confirm this with Robert and Sarah's marriage details.

So parents are Charles Rattray and Elizabeth Bryden.

Charles died 7 March 1842, aged 34.  It says cause of death "Inflamation".  He was living at 86 Candlemaker Row, Edinburgh.  It says he was a mason, which is also stated on Robert and Sarah's marriage certificate.

Elizabeth died 1874, aged 72, of old age.  She was living at 151 Pleasance, Edinburgh.  Her parents are listed as Robert Bryden (a tailor) and Elizabeth Fraser. 

Charles and Elizabeth were married Dec 4th 1830 in Fala & Soutra, Midlothian. 

MITCHELL: Glasgow/Fife
MACDONALD: Isle of Coll/Fife
BURGESS/SMITH/HOUGHTON/WILD: Lancashire
HOLMES: Ireland/Lanarkshire/Fife
MCMEEKIN: Stirlingshire/Canada
MCPHERSON: Stirlingshire

Offline Noandra

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 22 August 10 02:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks, so much, I don't know where you get the information from but you are great.
This has taken the family back another generation. Wonderful.
Noandra.

Offline Jokdy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 22 August 10 11:05 BST (UK) »
You're welcome  :)

I've been able to find them on the 1841 census hoorah!  I was having problems then thought perhaps Rattray had been spelled wrong and here we are...

It's them - Charles is down as a mason and living at Candlemaker Row as per his death entry in 1842.  Looks like there's another brother for Robert and William.

Name: Charles Rathay
Estimated birth year: abt 1808
Where born: Scotland

Civil parish: Edinburgh Greyfriars
County: Midlothian
Address: Candle Maker Row
Parish Number: 685/1
Neighbors: View others on page 
Household Members: Name Age
Charles Rathay 33
Elisabeth Rathay 38
John Rathay 5
Robert Rathay 3
William B Rathay 1

Edit: Just looked up John, he died 16 Mar 1850 from a fever.  They were living at 12 Rose Street in Edinburgh.  This ties in with the 1851 census for Elizabeth, Robert and William I posted previously, which shows "12" in the address field.

Offline bandtows

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 04 September 10 15:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Jokdy, I have stumbled on this site and realized you were talking about my grandparents, Alice Maud Mary Rattray nee Baldwin and Robert Bryden Rattray, they lived in Towoomba Queensland Aust. when my father was taken into state care at the age of 7 this would have been in 1927.  He never saw his parents again, Alice & Robert had 8 children only 2 are still alive. My dad is Robert Bryden Rattray as well he has turned 90 this year.  I have photos of thier headstones, Alice actually died on the 27th November 1934 aged 50, and my dad a few years ago now had a headstone put on his fathers grave, he died on the 6th November 1943 aged 76.  This linage of Rattrays will end with my father as he had no sons but 4 daughters. I am very sad to say my father is in pallative care not expected to last the week.  There are certainly a few skeletons in the family tree, it is known that Robert had an affair with Alice Maud's mother and had a baby but passed it off to her daughter Alice and made her marry the much older Robert Bryden Rattray, so I start my journey.  Thank you for making my search for information much easier.  Regards  Trish 

Offline Jokdy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 04 September 10 19:44 BST (UK) »
Hello Trish

I'm sorry to hear the sad news about your father.  Oh my, 90 years old is a fine age to live to is it not?  What a life he must have led.

The member who was seeking information about this family - Noandra - could be connected to you and may have further information which could help you in your research.  If you make another two posts you will be able to send Noandra a private message.

Jo

Offline bandtows

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 05 September 10 01:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jo...  I would be interested in what relationship Noandra has with the family.   Trish

Offline Kissyfur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 02 January 12 06:09 GMT (UK) »
Hello I just came across this site by accident and I am so glad I found this thread after discovering some new family history tonight, been up all night with it.
 Robert Bryden Rattray and Sarah Beattie Rattray of Edinburgh/Aberdeen are my Great Great Great Grandparents through Mary Rattray my great great grandmother, Mary (laterly named Marshall) is buried with my great grandmother and grandmother in Aberdeen, although she had my great grandmother (Willamina Webster Milne) to a William Milne Webster before she married Marshall.

I would really like to make contact with anyone who is related or has more information concerning the family.

There was "Aunty Letty" from Aberdeen who my mother tells me was Mary's sister and gave name to my mother "Violetta", this information may well be inaccurate as I can remember Letty when I was a child 30 years ago.

I must go and swat up on all these comments you all have wrote.

Please get in touch, I look forward to hearing from you,

Christopher Gordon.

Offline Kissyfur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 02 January 12 06:27 GMT (UK) »
Sarah Beattie Rattray died on 10th Nov 1903 at 5:40pm of chronic bronchitis at 40 Rose Street. Aberdeen.
Her parents were Robert Beattie (Army pensioner-deceased) and Eleanor McKay Beattie, possible maiden name "Andrew" who was also deceased.

I have adresses for The Rattrays living in edinburgh, when they married in 1859 it was 20 Cowgatehead. Edinburgh. Which is at the bottom of Candlemaker Row, which backs on to Greyfriars church and it was at the exact timing of the Greyfriars Bobby story 1858-1872, they must have been familiar with the man "Auld Jock Gray" and his dog Bobby.

Can you see now why I haven't slept a wink all night, its now 6:27am and I am still going hahaha

Christopher Gordon.

Offline Kissyfur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 02 January 12 06:37 GMT (UK) »
Robert and Sarah Rattray also had another wee boy the that died at 10 months old of "convulsions, teething" 21 April 1865 - 5th March 1866  called Robert Beattie Rattray, a year later on 6th August 1867 they had another boy and called him Robert Beattie Rattray too.

Sarah and Robert Rattray were married just around the corner from where they lived, on 9 Victoria road. Edinburgh. in St.Johns Free Church, not to be confused with the other St.Johns episcopal church on Princes Street.

The church they gor married in became an indian restaurant and burned down in 2008, not sure if its back up and running again.

Christopher Gordon>