Author Topic: RATTRAY Robert Brydon  (Read 13848 times)

Offline Kissyfur

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: RATTRAY Robert Brydon
« Reply #27 on: Monday 02 January 12 06:39 GMT (UK) »
Did you notice there was an aussie bar on Candlemakers Row? I think thats a sign ;)

Offline Kissyfur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 02 January 12 07:04 GMT (UK) »
So we have Robert Beattie who is dead by the time Sarah marries Robert Brydon Rattray in 1859, Sarahs mother Mary Eleanor McKay Beattie is alive for the 1861 in her 50s but dead by the 1871 as she does not appear in the Census for 37 Candlemakers Row.

I am wondering why Robert and Sarah are registered at 37 Candlemakers Row in 1861 when they had registered their abode as 20 Cowgatehead on their marriage certificate in 1859? These properties are less than 100 yards apart I would say, checkout google earth street view, doesn't let you up Candlemakers Rowso good but you get the idea.

Christopher Gordon.

Offline Kissyfur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 02 January 12 07:47 GMT (UK) »
Robert Bryden Rattray died aged 72 on 2nd Aug 1910 of influenza and suffering pnuemonia for 6 days at 119 St.Nicholas Street. Aberdeen.
He was a master of lapidary and a journeyman, basically I am told this is a travelling artisan jeweler and repairer of delicate objects.
His parents were William Rattray possibly a hatter- Deceased and Elizabeth Rattray maiden name Bryden- Deceased.
The death certificate was signed by John B Rattray his son of 75 Whitehall Road. Aberdeen.

Christopher Gordon.

Offline Kissyfur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 02 January 12 08:00 GMT (UK) »
Jokdy, I noticed that you wrote this a while back.....

16 Bonaccord Lane
Robert B Rattray 62
Sarah Rattray 63
Mary Rattray 37
Elizabeth Rattray 25
Helen Rattray 22
Williamina Irebster 7

For the 1901 census.....

I have some news :) "Williamina Irebster" is actually Williamina Webster, the illegitimate daughter of Mary Rattray and a man by the name of William Milne Webster, she dies in her 40s and is buried with my granny and great great granny Mary Rattray Marshall, this is where my line shoots off :)

Christopher Gordon.

Offline Kissyfur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 02 January 12 08:21 GMT (UK) »
Where are you getting the Robert Rattray that was born "1850?" thats either been married or had an affair, the only ones I know of are Robert Bryden Rattray (22) who was married to Sarah Beattie (21) in 1859 in Edinburgh, who is the father one a Robert Beattie Rattray who died ages 10 months in 1866 and the other being another son they had a year later called Robert Beattie Rattray born 1867, which I suspect is the one who moved to Australia between 1891-1901 as he does not appear in the census when they are in Aberdeen, also it seem by your findings that his brother Charles had moved out and was a watchmaker in Falkirk and he also moved to Australia, am I right on that?

You think this is confusing, well you should see what happened down my line in the 1900s  ;D

Christopher Gordon

Offline Kissyfur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 02 January 12 08:42 GMT (UK) »
Hold on a minute, Robert Bryden Rattray's father Charles "Rathay" Rattray, the mason, is dead in 1842 and is registered dead in his wedding certificate in 1859, so how can William Rattray, a hatter, be down as Robert Bryden Rattrays father when he dies in 1910?

Is William a brother of Charles, Robert Bryden Rattray's uncle or is Charles/William the same man? Maybe John Bryden Rattray put down the wrong name as his fathers father or did he know him by another name......see this family!!! Can we a little imagination and call our children different names?? :D

Christopher Gordon

Offline Noandra

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 02 January 12 11:43 GMT (UK) »
I guess I should put my 2 cents worth into this discussion.

Robert's father was in fact Charles Rattray not William. I have been able to confirm this with Robert and Sarah's marriage details. He died 7-3-184 of Inflamation. He was married to Elizabeth Brydon b 1803 died 8-11-1874 and they had 3 children John, Robert Brydon and William B.

Robert Brydon Rattray 1838 was married to Sarah Beattie. He died 2-8-1910 of Influenza & pneumonia and they had 7 children Charles Brydone, Bary Beattie, Robert Beattie, Robert Beattie (Bryden), John (Jock) Beattie, Elizabeth (Lizzie) and Helen Muir (Nellie).
 :)

Offline Kissyfur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 02 January 12 16:16 GMT (UK) »
we share linage through great great grandparents Robert and Sarah Rattray , you come from their son Robert Beattie Rattray and I come from their daughter Mary Beattie Rattray.

Christopher Gordon.

Offline Kissyfur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 02 January 12 16:25 GMT (UK) »
so when are you coming over to Scotland so we can go look at where they lived?  :)

Christopher Gordon.