Author Topic: Anne Byrne  (Read 8642 times)

Offline rupe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Anne Byrne
« on: Tuesday 17 August 10 11:17 BST (UK) »
Anne Byrne was born in Wicklow in 1867 (possibly later up to 1871) and had a daughter Margaret born in 1894, but I can find no records of either birth. Is there any way forward with my search ?

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Anne Byrne
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 August 10 11:55 BST (UK) »
Byrne is very common surname in Wicklow... so it might be an idea to start with marriage records to establish father's and husband's names. Father's names would help you confirm, or rule out, possible births you find for Anne or Margaret.

Do you know where in Co. Wicklow they were born ?

see : Introduction to Irish Records

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline rupe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 August 10 12:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your help - unfortunately i have no record of Anne's father at all (or family or parish in wicklow) and her husband was my grandfather but I believ that she had Margaret under her own name Byrne, possibly before she met/married my grandfather?
I will follow up the link you gave. Very useful - thanks again ! Is there any way to shrink down the possible part of wicklow she might have been from ?

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 August 10 12:23 BST (UK) »
....Is there any way to shrink down the possible part of wicklow she might have been from ?

not easy with a surname like Byrne... 

The best thing is to work your way back step by step.

It's definitely worth chasing up Anne's marriage (even if it was after Margaret's birth) as her father's name and occupation could be your only clue to the family..  cross your fingers that when you find him he has an uncommon firstname and unusual occupation - just to make him easier to find!

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline rupe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 August 10 14:03 BST (UK) »
Thats great advice - i will certainly see what I can find. You are clearly well versed in this type of research and I am a total beginner, so many thanks again. it will be terrific if i can get any more information about my paternal grandparents - there is nothing on my mothers side either so i have little 'background' to my ancestry.  many thanks

Offline Kath nee Greene

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Byrne
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 May 13 09:49 BST (UK) »
Have you seen the Arklow Parish Records?  There are lots of Byrne's in there.  A version of the records can be viewed in a book on line.