Author Topic: Brantingham Parish marriages - ESCREET  (Read 1814 times)

Offline lubok

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Brantingham Parish marriages - ESCREET
« on: Tuesday 17 August 10 22:40 BST (UK) »
Hello
I'm trying to find a marriage between a Robert ESCREET and a Mary (surname unknown). Robert was born about 1795 in Ellerker (and died 20 May 1862 in Ellerker), and Mary was born abt 1798 in Wawne.
They had children:
Sarah (b abt 1822), Dinah (b abt 1830), Fanny (b abt 1833), Thomas (b 1836 in Ellerker), Mary (b 1838 in Ellerker), Robert (twin to Mary, b 1838 in Ellerker), George (b 1839 in Ellerker). Five of these seven children were christened in Brantingham. I wonder if Robert and Mary married there, too?
They could have had more children inbetween Sarah and Dinah, but I cannot find any on the censuses or the IGI christening records.
On the 1841 census, Robert Escreet is a labourer in Ellerker (and he is with Ann, who could be his sister). In 1851, Robert is an agricultural labourer in Ellerker, and on the 1861 census he's a farmer at 'Cottage, Ellerker'. His wife Mary died not long after, in June quarter, 1861 ('Mary Escritt' on the death index).
I'd love to find out Robert's wife's name (Mary), and also the names of Robert's parents.

Many thanks
Rachel
Burgess (Warwickshire), Chenoweth (Middlesex), Cleland (Scotland), Dick (Yorkshire), Escreet/Escritt/Eskrett (Yorkshire), Evans (Yorkshire), Felton (Solihull, Warwickshire), Gould (Cheshire and Flintshire), Guest (Cheshire and Flintshire), Hasting/Hastings (Yorkshire), Hickson (Durham and Yorkshire), Little (Nth Ireland and NZ), Mattheus/Matthews (South Africa), Nicolson (NZ), Sanderson (Hull, Yorkshire), Shelley(Staffordshire), Southee (Kent), Summers (Fife and Glasgow), Turner, van Aardt (RSA)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Brantingham Parish marriages - ESCREET
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 August 10 01:31 BST (UK) »
If a marriage cannot be found - a copy of one of the twins birth certs will give Mary's maiden name - details are on freebmd

There was another couple of the same name but they were living in Hull
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline lubok

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 August 10 02:29 BST (UK) »
Of course!  :)

The twins (Robert Escreet and Mary Escreet) had their births registered September quarter, 1838, Beverley.
I'll pass that info onto my contact

Regards
Rachel
Burgess (Warwickshire), Chenoweth (Middlesex), Cleland (Scotland), Dick (Yorkshire), Escreet/Escritt/Eskrett (Yorkshire), Evans (Yorkshire), Felton (Solihull, Warwickshire), Gould (Cheshire and Flintshire), Guest (Cheshire and Flintshire), Hasting/Hastings (Yorkshire), Hickson (Durham and Yorkshire), Little (Nth Ireland and NZ), Mattheus/Matthews (South Africa), Nicolson (NZ), Sanderson (Hull, Yorkshire), Shelley(Staffordshire), Southee (Kent), Summers (Fife and Glasgow), Turner, van Aardt (RSA)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 September 10 13:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Rachael...I wonder if Mary was her middle name here's what I found:

Robert Eskrett m. Elizabeth Pashby...Brantingham York, England Feb 11, 1817

Birth:

Sarah Esceet b. December 22, 1822 Parents Robert Escreet & Elizabeth.

They were found here:

http://beta.familysearch.org/

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 September 10 13:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Rachael...There is also a birth for Elizabeth Pashby b. 1797 in Brantingham father Thomas... no mother's name though :-\.
Carol

CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 30 September 10 13:34 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I wonder if Mary was his second wife? I found this marriage,

Robert ESCRETT
Mary SAWDEN 
Marriage:  12 JAN 1830   Sculcoates, Yorkshire

Sculcoates is only about 4 miles from Wawne which seems to be Mary's birthplace.

It could also explain the gap between Sarah and Dinah.

Regards,
Daisy

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline lubok

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 08 October 10 02:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks Carol and Daisy!
Sorry I haven't been online to reply - it has been school holidays here for the last two weeks (in NZ).
Those theories definately look promising, and I'll pass them onto my Escreet contact who will be intruigued. I think the way to go would be to order one or two birth certificates, in order to get the maiden name of the mother.
I hope my contact is keen to do that : )

Many thanks
Rachel

Offline YMS

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 02 February 22 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Just found this website by putting in the name of Mary Escreet as I have a sampler given to me by my dad.  The sampler has been passed down through the family and it says Mary Escreet aged 8   1846 so that makes her born in 1838.  Is this of interest to you?