Author Topic: Alexander  (Read 14557 times)

Offline deyman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Barbary L Alexander
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 19 August 10 01:55 BST (UK) »
I have noticed childrens middle names are sometimes a parents maiden name. To be honest I wondered what the L could stand for. 
You are finding more things than I have. May I ask what site do you go through ?
Thanks again for your help.

Offline Jokdy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 19 August 10 08:48 BST (UK) »
I'm quite new at this so the three main sites I tend to use are ancestry, Scotlands People and Family Search.  When I start hitting brick walls I'll go further afield and see if the town/city the person is residing in has its own geneology site or historical site etc. and of course google comes in very handy now and again - just putting a name, town and date in can surprisingly bring up a link to someone else researching the same person and I've been fortunate enough in the past to discover some valuable information that way.  And of course if all else fails I'll post here in the hope someone can help me  :D

The info about the Alexander family leaving Dundee for NY I found on ancestry.

I'm taking a break from working on my tree just now while I'm waiting for a couple of certificates to arrive, so it's been interesting and fun being able to help others with their trees.

MITCHELL: Glasgow/Fife
MACDONALD: Isle of Coll/Fife
BURGESS/SMITH/HOUGHTON/WILD: Lancashire
HOLMES: Ireland/Lanarkshire/Fife
MCMEEKIN: Stirlingshire/Canada
MCPHERSON: Stirlingshire

Offline deyman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Barbary L Alexander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 19 August 10 16:35 BST (UK) »
I had been thinking all night about some of the points you told me. I was wondering if Barbary could have left from Dundee and not be from there...and you posted that thought this morning.

I will check on the Scotlands People. I never even thought about typing that in. Most of your other suggestions I have either tried or belong to.

I know a couple (now divorced) in the UK with the last name of Love. I think I will contact the ex-husband and see if he has Scottish roots.

Thanks for all your help and enjoy your rest....I have taken a few of those from my family name as well.