Author Topic: Alexander  (Read 14558 times)

Offline Jokdy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 18 August 10 22:20 BST (UK) »
The family above from Kincardineshire -  Barbara and her brother George are on the 1851 census listed at Rosehill in Kincardineshire, she is down as a house servant and he as a cattle boy. 

While the transcript suggests there is only one year between them and we know otherwise, it does say she was born in Kinniff, Kincardineshire, so it seems highly likely it's the correct siblings, especially so when they are no longer listed as living with parents Peter and Elizabeth in 1851. 

This now makes your 1850 American census find unlikely to be her because she is still over in Scotland at the time or would suggest this is not your Barbara's correct family.
MITCHELL: Glasgow/Fife
MACDONALD: Isle of Coll/Fife
BURGESS/SMITH/HOUGHTON/WILD: Lancashire
HOLMES: Ireland/Lanarkshire/Fife
MCMEEKIN: Stirlingshire/Canada
MCPHERSON: Stirlingshire

Offline deyman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Barbary L Alexander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 18 August 10 22:31 BST (UK) »
According to the census I found, which is the same as Steve sent on here, there is 5 yrs between George & Barbary.
There were so many census in Scotland, and so many having common names, it is easy to get confused.
I believe my info is correct as it also coincides with the info sent to me by the Historical Society.

Offline Jokdy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 18 August 10 22:34 BST (UK) »
Here she is again on the 1861 census, now residing in Angus.

Barbara Alexander
Estimated birth year: abt 1835
Relationship: Servant
Where born: Kinneff, Kincardineshire
Registration Number: 312
Registration district: Montrose
Civil parish: Montrose
County: Angus
Address: Chapel Street
ED: 16
Household schedule number: 112
Line: 17
Roll: CSSCT1861_45

I believe the ages put down on the 1851 census were wrong, as can be seen above the age has now been rectified to reflect birth year 1835.

Offline deyman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Barbary L Alexander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 18 August 10 22:40 BST (UK) »
Barbary came to the US in or before 1849. Unfortunately, I have the paper at home from the historical society that says what year she came here. In the 1850 Connecticut census she has already had 1 yr of schooling in the US.

Offline Jokdy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 18 August 10 22:51 BST (UK) »
I'm not disputing that deyman, I just don't want you being misled regarding where she was born and who her parents were.  I've just found the marriage extract for the Barbara Alexander whose parents are Peter Alexander and Elizabeth Ross.  She married a James Hosie in Garvock, Kincardineshire 4th June 1869.  So the family found on the 1841 census is not the correct family and not your Barbara, because your Barbara was already living over in Connecticut by then.

Offline deyman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Barbary L Alexander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 18 August 10 22:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks for looking that up for me. So now I guess I will have to wait the 6 - 8 weeks before I get the death cert from Ct.
Oh well, I only found out about her 9 yrs ago....what is another few weeks to  find out more?

Offline Jokdy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 18 August 10 23:05 BST (UK) »
It's terrible when that happens, it's happened to me and I had to remove a few branches from my family tree because I went heading off in completely the wrong direction with family connections which had nothing to do with me. 

I'm waiting for a couple of death certificates myself to confirm parents names for my mother's grandparents because I too have hit a brick wall.

Good luck!  :)

Offline deyman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Barbary L Alexander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 18 August 10 23:19 BST (UK) »
Yes, I have just done that with a branch of my own family. When you are brought up in a family that doesn't speak to each other or doesn't talk of the dead, it is hard to do the research.
However, thanks to my father's death (not that I am glad he died), I found memorial cards in Bibles that belonged to his mother from the U.K.
At the same time, as my mother & I were driving by a road we had driven by a million times, she told me I had a great aunt that lived on the road. One I never heard of but turns out to have been her fathers baby sister he hadn't spoken to in over 40 yrs.
I finally got to meet her 9 yrs ago and she was and is quite helpful in that side of the family history...including why my grandfather stopped talking to her.
I always thought I came from a no-where family until I started digging. Now I have to say I am quite proud of all my family heritage.
Thanks againg for your help!! ;)

Offline Jokdy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 19 August 10 00:21 BST (UK) »
I just had a wee nosey on Scotlands People to have a look at Barbara Alexanders born between 1833 - 1837 (couldn't find any for Barbary).

There's one that caught my eye born 1836 in Kirkcowan, Wigtownshire - parents John Alexander and Sarah Fellows - but the reason they caught my eye is because it looks like John's parents are William Alexander and Barbara Love.  Which made me think of your Barbara and her "L".

Sometimes children were given their grandparent's names, especially on the female side.  Your Barbara could be named after her grandmother, hence the L for a middle name - Barbara Love Alexander.  It's a really really longshot and I'd hate for you to be sent down another wrong path!  Wigtownshire isn't even close to Dundee, and I haven't looked to find her on any of the censuses yet, but hey you never know  ;)   

Have to go to bed now but I'll see if I can track this Barbara down tomorrow for you.

Btw, I did stumble across a family of Alexanders who departed from Dundee on a ship called the Sir James Kempt.  They arrived over in New York in August 1838.  The passenger list shows a John Alexander and Mrs Alexander, two daughters aged 1 and 6, and a son aged 10.  There's also a Joan Alexander on the same ship, with two sons aged 5 and 7 and a daughter aged 2 - no names for any of the children though  :(