Author Topic: Barnardos boy  (Read 8369 times)

Offline shogun10333

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Barnardos boy
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 18 August 10 13:44 BST (UK) »
This is wonderful, thank you!  I too think he is this Thomas, the other Thomas arrived on the Bavarian in 1905 age 10, at Quebec, headed for Stratford Ontario, making him a possibility, but this Thomas looks more promising.  How would we go about ordering his military records? He had a son Thomas (Tommy) with his first wife Eva, and he had two to his second wife Elsie, Irene Constance and Leroy, Irene, the eldes was born in 1932.  I have tried looking at the census records, but Im from England where the census records are entirely different, Im struggling to find my way around the Canadian ones, they dont seem to give addresses, or occupations or anything, or am I doing something wrong.
Do you think I would be able to trace him back to the UK, by perhaps contacting the home in London that he came from, or an organization that would maybe have records for him?
Im sorry about all the questions, you have been a brilliant help up to now, thank you again

Julie
Nicholls - Ashton-under-Lyne Lancashire,  Godwin - Dukinfield Cheshire, Godwin - Derby England,  Hutchinson - Ashton-under-Lyne Lancashire, Nicholls - Golcar

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 18 August 10 14:43 BST (UK) »
Once you go to one of these census links click "split view" at the top to see the original document as well.
In the rural areas you'll see references to locations of land/homesteads rather than street names, but in cities like Toronto there will be street references, e.g. here is 202 Sherbourne in 1911:
http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/census11/View.jsp?id=52180&mode=proof&framed=true
(note that Mr Jas Bell took lodgers, it's quite likely Thomas, and later Eva, were just renting a room or two there).

When you go to his military records via this link: http://www.rootschat.com/links/09ig/
You should see a link saying "How to consult a file on-site or order a copy of the complete file".

Hopefully Barnardos will be able to assist you with the records. I'm not sure if the documentation they have will include birthdates which is really what you need to confirm that you have the right Thomas.
If you look at the home children database, the one who came in 1902 was with a group of boys from "Sheppard House, 182 Grove Road, East London"
You may be able to locate him at this address in the UK 1901 census.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shogun10333

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 18 August 10 15:23 BST (UK) »
Thank you - I did go to the Barnardos site, and it gave a list of childrens homes in London at that time, and Shepherd House isnt listed. That address was shown on one website as The Childrens Fold, a Barnardos home for disabled children - I wouldnt have thought a disabled child would have been suitable to ship over to Canada to work.
I will look on the 1901 census for England to see if I can find him.

Julie
Nicholls - Ashton-under-Lyne Lancashire,  Godwin - Dukinfield Cheshire, Godwin - Derby England,  Hutchinson - Ashton-under-Lyne Lancashire, Nicholls - Golcar

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 18 August 10 15:57 BST (UK) »
That address also seems to have been "Dr Barnardo's Home for Destitute Boys" at least at some point in time.
It might also be that there were a few buildings using the same address.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,30179.0.html - someone here found it in 1891 in Bethnal Green.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 18 August 10 20:32 BST (UK) »
Yes, because it may have some more information about his personal life, jorose is right, get the files on him to see where/when he might have been married....there are others things such as to whom he may have sent any extra money, etc. that might give more clues... It may have very little info, or it could have a lot, but it's your best bet of going onward with your search.
In 1901 there is a Thomas George Young age 5 born London Bethnal Green & in Bethnal Green although that's all I can see with no sub... Good luck with your searches...

p.s. The first ship had a George Young on board, the second listed above had a Lillian...if these were siblings, then seems odd they would not have been listed as next of kin?
p.p.s. The home where Thomas Young is a farm labourer is Barnum, not Parnum as written on 1911 census, as this person is related to Barnum family...but unfortunately knows no more than we do.
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/CAN-ONT-NORTHUMBERLAND/2006-06/1150283504
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline shogun10333

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 18 August 10 20:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you.  I have requested an initial search at Barnardos, so will wait to see what information they can give me.  I too was wondering about George or Lillian and if they were siblings.  Maybe I will know more when I get a reply from them.

Offline Bryant

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Grandfather Bryant 1897
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 19 August 10 10:18 BST (UK) »
Hello Julie

My grandfather was a Barnado's boy (he never was) but he was an orphan

My grandfather was Irish (he never was, he was a Londoner) but his grandfather was Irish

Why not go to the Canada section and see if someone can lookup the births of the children of the two marriages and go from there....

Bryant
Researching names BRYANT (Camberwell), PASTERFIELD (Essex and all), RAY (Holborn/Islington areas back to Brentford), POWELL (Glouc & beyond?)
Fletcher (Glouc into Warwickshie into Lancs?), BUCKLEY (Chatham area), Watson (Chatham area).

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shogun10333

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 19 August 10 14:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you I will do that - I have already put a post up looking for Thomas on the Canada site, but I will try to amend it to include the children.

Julie

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 19 August 10 17:54 BST (UK) »
http://www.archives.gov.on.ca/english/archival-records/interloan/vsfaq.aspx
This site gives you an idea of what records are publically available in Ontario.  More recent events are protected under privacy laws.  Each individual province handles vital statistics so rules vary across the country as to what is released.  The concept of looking up the children's births would prove easier in Britain but in Canada not so easy.

When trying to trace forward in Canada you have to rely on cemetery records, obituaries, newspapers, some databases held by individual libraries, city directories etc.  You have to find family history by a circuitous route.

Since you're located in England did one of Thomas' children move back?  Do you have any idea of Thomas' life after the war - where he might have lived etc. that would provide a starting point to search.  If he remained in Toronto they have an excellent pay site for the Toronto Star - Pages of the Past - where you might find reference to him.

Debbie