Author Topic: Burial of Dr John PENDRILL of Bath in 1827  (Read 7634 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Burial of Dr John PENDRILL of Bath in 1827
« on: Wednesday 18 August 10 09:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone,
I seem to be having problems with my National Burial Index not loading properly on my laptop this morning, so I wonder whether some kind person could discover details for me of a burial for a Dr John PENDRILL, whose 1827 will I have just downloaded from the TNA site. (But not yet attempted to decipher!)
I've read somewhere that he went round Bath "with his coat of arms on his carriage", so may have had a bit of a grand lifestyle, and possibly a grand tombstone/plaque somewhere in the area.
He was certainly in Jamaica between 1785 and 1793, as his 3 daughters were born there during this time; and I also have a record of he and his (first) wife Margaret returning from there in 1793 - though his 3 small daughters do not seem to be listed amongst the passengers.
Would be most grateful if someone can spot his M.I. somewhere for me, so I can have an idea about when he might have been born in the 18thC...
Very best wishes, keith

Offline maudarby

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Burial of Dr John PENDRILL of Bath in 1827
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 August 10 23:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith
No burials for any John Pendrills anywhere in 1827 in the NBI.
I found a small death notice in a newspaper dated  Wednesday, January 24, 1827 "At Clifton after a long and painful illness John Pendrill Esq. M.D of Bath" Unfortunately it didn't give his age.

Maudarby

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 August 10 06:41 BST (UK) »
Hi, Maudarby,
Thanks so much for spotting that for me, will have to keep on looking for where he was buried.  Is Clifton part of Bath?
And it looks as though I would have been disappointed not to find him on the NBI even if I had got the disc going...
Very best wishes, keith

Offline maudarby

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 August 10 08:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith
I am guessing that it was Clifton, near Bristol but there may be other places with that name.
I found a few more references to J.P in old newspapers which you may already know about so will just give brief details.
1822 marriage of Rev Wm D Longlands to Judith Campbell P
eldest dau of J P.
1825 marriage of Rev George Ingram Fisher to Elizabeth P 2nd dau of J P of Gay Street, Bath.
1837 marriage of Colin Mackenzie to Ann Petgrave P 6th dau of J P.
1841 death of Jane P 5th dau of J P in Malta.

Al four entries say that the "girls" are granddaughters of William Campbell Esq of New Minns/Milas Jamacia.

Have you read the will yet and if so is his 2nd wife mentioned? If so it might be worth trying to find out more about her as I am assuming that they would have been buried together if she died in England.

Maudarby

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 August 10 13:52 BST (UK) »
Maudarby,
This is splendid!  Thanks so much for unearthing all this extra detail...You've also discovered for me that Margaret PENDRILL (nee ROSS) must have continued having children - daughters - and that with Judith mentioned as J.P.'s "eldest" daughter, something must have happened to the two other daughters who were baptised in 1785 and 1790 in Jamaica, namely Marianne and Mary (so states the IGI, so I suppose I should be cautious); perhaps they stayed in Jamaica...
All those other marriages seem to indicate that the brides all had William Campbell as their grandpa, and therefore their mother would have to be Margaret, who had at least six daughters then.
I've just realised now that I got the info about John PENDRILL marrying an Ann PENNY as his second wife from a 1993 list of PENDRILL descendants, but when I look at a more recent (albeit 1998) entry on the Staffordshire Rootsweb, there is first the contradiction that he and Margaret ROSS had no children, then further down it actually lists 7 children for them:
i) William ob. inf.
ii) Judith Campbell PENDRILL ob. 18-12-1870 married Rev William David LONGLANDS (date given here incorrectly, husband's death as 27-12-1806, as they didn't marry until 1822, as you say!)

Computer misbehaving, will post and continue  keith

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 19 August 10 14:05 BST (UK) »
...continuing listing the children of John PENDRILL and Margaret ROSS:
iii) Elizabeth m. Rev ? FISHER
iv) Margaret m. John MACKENZIE of Glack
v) Mary ob, unm. in 1880
vi) Jane ob. unm. in 1840
vii) Ann married Major Colin MACKENZIE

So, some details tally nicely, but I wonder whether either the two (supposedly) earlier baptisms feature in the wrong chronological order in this list.
Just to confuse things, I'd started another thread about a Doris MOODY (in The Common Room) - she is a great-granddaughter of Judith Campbell LONGLANDS (nee PENDRILL) and was born in 1893 in Jamaica too, almost exactly 100 years after her ancestor.
Another very generous Rootschatter on that thread, DebUSA, has been giving me a great deal of help with this family there, and has discussed some of the questions posed on here too...

Regards, keith

Offline maudarby

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 19 August 10 22:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith
Just a few other bits that I found in the newspapers & another marriage so it looks like John P had 7 daughters.

In 1834 a Miss P donated money to some cause, noted that she lived in Clifton.
In 1839 "Arrivals at Matlock, Bath" Mrs P & Miss P.
In Nov 1840 Miss P going to Malta.
In 1849 the Rev Augustus Wm D Fellows married Harriet P 6th surviving daughter of Dr P of Bath. No mention of grandfather William Campbell.
I don't have a sub to Ancestry at the moment but Harriet was possibly born c1813. She died in 1852 in Hampshire.
Found this on another site.
Marriage of Margaret Campbell P to John Mackenzie in 21st Oct 1822 in Malta.

Maudarby

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 19 August 10 23:56 BST (UK) »
Hi, Maudarby,
Your input has been invaluable, and I've just about been able to cross-reference most of the personalities in the family you and DebUSA on the other thread have highlighted by skimming through John PENDRILL's will this evening.  (It's really difficult to read every single word, and is a tiring exercise!) Will give details tomorrow, as it's nearly midnight and I need to get to bed.
I'm beginning to wonder now, of course,  if J.P. was buried in the Clifton area of Bristol, and that I've been searching in the wrong county.
But you've helped me a huge amount, and will, as I say, post more about what I have found/confirmed tomorrow,
Very many thanks, keith

Offline maudarby

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 20 August 10 10:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith
Do you think it would be a good idea to copy all posts from this thread onto the Doris Moody thread to keep all the info we have found in one place so we are not duplicating our research. I know DebUSA says that we are going over old ground by researching the Campbell/Pendrill families but more info is now available online since the trees were created some 12 years ago. I have just taken out a 14 day trial on Ancestry & will renew my sub after that. Disregard what I said about Harriet Fellowes (born c 1813) in 1851 census. It's not the right one. Her husband A W D Fellowes is in Yorkshire. He's down as married but Harriet is not with him. I can't seem to find her perhaps someone else will have better luck unless she was out of the country.
If you are having problems with the will I am willing to have a look at it. I will PM you my email address.
Did you notice that Ann P's will (1845) is also on the TNA site?

Maudarby