Author Topic: Searching for Benjamin Gallington  (Read 3970 times)

Offline 2shea

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Searching for Benjamin Gallington
« on: Wednesday 18 August 10 10:24 BST (UK) »
I have done well so far with Benjamin Gallington born 1824 - gt gt gt grandfather .
 His father was also Benjamin Gallington born abt 1781 and married to Elizabeth Levett. I am trying now to find this Benjamin's father and would appreciate any ideas. There was also another Benjamin born 1818 died 1820.
I have found a Benjamin married to an Elizabeth Brotherick 1731 and their son was Benjamin Bratherick(Brotherick?) born 1735. Cant find his marriage but could there be another Benjamin/s in between Benjamin born 1781.
There is also a Joseph Gallington also married to an Elizabeth who had a son Benjamin born 1736.
The names Joseph and Benjamin have been carried down the line for a while so I am supposing there has to be some connection. Just missing a few bits between 1736 and 1781. After that I am fine as the census and bmds have filled in the other gaps.
We are like butterflies, live for a day and think it is forever

Gallington - Mixter - Hill - Brown

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for Benjamin Gallington
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 August 10 12:09 BST (UK) »
Hi

so this man

1841 census HO107 661/2 folio 11
Caroline Place St James Clerkenwell Middlesex
Benjamin Gallington 60 Clockmaker J
Elizabeth Gallington 55 Umbrella maker
Caroline Gallington 20 Unmbrella maker
Charlotte Gallington 18 Umbrella maker
Robert Gallington 15  Umbrella maker
Elizabeth Wilson 2
all born in county

adult ages, those over 15 usually rounded down to the nearest 5 on the 1841 census. The Yes born in county of the 1841 census can be unreliable.

Deaths Dec 1842  GALLINGTON  Benjamin    Clerkenwell  3 76

30th October 1842 St James, Clerkenwell
Benjamin Gallington aged 62, Caroline Court, Goswell Street

so a birth year of circa 1780

Who were the witnesses to Benjamin and Elizabeth's marriage at Christch Church Newgate in 1800?

As Benjamin was a clockmaker have you checked the Clockmakers' Guild apprenticeshire records to see whether Benjamin is mentioned?

http://www.history.ac.uk/gh/clock.htm

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 2shea

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for Benjamin Gallington
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 August 10 10:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks Valda,

looking at the census again with fresh eyes and knowing marriage date was 1800, the first child before Caroline was born in 1813, so quite a gap before having children although they did spit them out pretty regularly until about 1827.
May not be the right Benjamin and Elizabeth. Will try and find witnesses but the parish register is rather sparse on detail.
The clockmakers is a good place and will look into that.

thanks
We are like butterflies, live for a day and think it is forever

Gallington - Mixter - Hill - Brown