Author Topic: 15 Trent Valley Road ~ Institution?  (Read 2828 times)

Offline Treefan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
15 Trent Valley Road ~ Institution?
« on: Wednesday 18 August 10 14:05 BST (UK) »
I know that in the the later years when workhouses still existed it became usual practise to record an address instead of actually mentioning that the place was a workhouse on birth/death certificates. I think that this practise was also used to disguise mental institutions & any other places which might cause embarrassment for the family should it be recorded on official certificates etc.
I have just discovered that an ancestor used to live in the almshouses in Yoxall in her later years but the place of death on her death certificate dated 1942 is recorded as 15 Trent Valley Road.
Could anyone possibly tell me please whether this may have been the address which was used in order to disguise the fact that it may have been an institution of some kind?  I do know that there was a workhouse in Trent Valley Road in former years & wondered whether it may have later been used as some form of hospital as were many former workhouses throughout the country.  My ancestor does have senility recorded as one of the causes of death so I thought that this could relate to it being a mental institution of some kind.

Thank you,
Treefan.

Offline crystal lady

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: 15 Trent Valley Road ~ Institution?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 August 10 21:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Treefan

I am assuming that you mean Trent Valley Road in Lichfield?  If so, I am sure that I have read somewhere that the Workhouse in Trent Valley Road became St Michael's hospital which looked after sick, elderly patients.  This could tie in with your relative.  If no one else can verify this for you, I can check it when I next visit Lichfield Record Office but that will not be until September.

Crystal  :)
Bean - Alrewas, Staffs, Moreton/Morton-Hemsworth/Wellington/Staffs, Evans-Tipton, Richardson-Staffs

Offline Treefan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 15 Trent Valley Road ~ Institution?
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 August 10 21:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Crystal,

That sounds a promising lead  ~  thank you, I will look into St Michael's Hospital.
Many thanks for your help.
Treefan.