Author Topic: McIlroy  (Read 39531 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McIlroy
« Reply #72 on: Thursday 01 September 11 20:33 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat but the McLees and McKees are not the same. Annie Rogers McLees came from Landagivey- I am in touch with her nephew (who would be the olderst surviving family member) and have family tree at home. Have a very large file with Mcilroy family notes but won't be back in Ireland until end of next week.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Glitterpuss

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Friday 02 September 11 08:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for getting back to me quickly. I doubted they would be the same family but thought I'd ask anyway.
I'm really excited to hear what information you have - I'm the last McIlroy in this line and so am really trying to establish the McIlroy side but I'm intrigued how it fits together with the McLees and in particular the 'Rogers' middle names - it's a tradition that continued to my father but I've no idea how it originated although I feel it may be John R McIlroy's Aunt Rogers (mentioned in a letter) that has led to nephews (and neices) being given this middle name.
 Looking forward to hearing from you.

Rachel

Offline Glitterpuss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Tuesday 13 September 11 16:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Aghadowey, just wondering if you've been able to get any of the McIlroy information yet?
Thanks
Rachel

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Tuesday 13 September 11 16:48 BST (UK) »
Think I might be able to fill in some gaps.

Alexander McLees in Aghadowey with family news from 1868 - 1871, referring to him as cousin with Alex having a sister Beth, and there being an Uncle Thomas maybe?
The only Alexander McLees of Landagivey I can find at the moment is Alexander McLees (c1835-1919) who was a farmer & potter. He had a sister Ruth (c1837-1910)- could this be the 'Beth' you mentioned? They were children of John McLees (c1804-1872) and Jane Taylor (c1801-1871). Other known children were Jane (c1826-1845), John (c1830-1901), Ann (c1831-1852), Dennis (c1839-1855).

I've also found an Annie Rodgers McLees (the Rogers/Rodgers middle name can't be a coincidence) born 1876 in Coleraine that must tie in somewhere but not sure if there's been a adjustment of McLees to McKee?
Annie Rogers McLees (Jan.1876-1954) was the daughter of John McLees (c1839-1904) and Isabella McQuigg (c1845-1927). John's father was James McLees (c1803-1870) and his mother was Agnes Rogers.

The above underlined James and John cannot be brothers since James had a brother John (c1793) who went to U.S. before 1831.

Rogers is a fairly common surname and middle name in Agivey area (several of the Rogers family were ministers which may account for some of this).

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Tuesday 13 September 11 16:53 BST (UK) »
Alexander McIlroy, clerk, lived at Glenkeen and died before 1868. He married 1st (1833) Margaret McCaw. His 2nd wife was Mary Rogers (c1810-1868).
Coleraine Chronicle, 8 Feb.1868: Death- McIlroy- At her residence, Landagivey, Aghadowey, on the 1st inst., Mary Rogers, relict of the late Alexander McIlroy, aged 58 years.
Alexander's son, John Rogers McIlroy was born c1839 Co.Derry and died 1875 Manchester, England. He married 1872 Anne (Fairclough) Lowe.

Offline Glitterpuss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Tuesday 13 September 11 17:49 BST (UK) »
Aghadowey - that's the JR McIlroy! He had a son Alexander Rogers McIlroy in 1873 who had 4 children including Jack McIlroy, my granddad.
Really grateful for this information - this at least suggests where the Rogers middle names have come from.
The detail on Alex McLees looks right too - the handwriting could make Ruth / Beth interchangeable and there is mention of Uncle John in JRs letters which if JR and Alex McLees are cousins as the letter suggests could be correct.
Thanks for the detail about the Rogers - I thought this was quite a unique angle but obviously not!

Any additional info (or details of where to continue looking) for Alexander McIlroy's history is most welcome :-)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Tuesday 13 September 11 17:57 BST (UK) »
The marriage of Alexander Rogers and Margaret McCaw took place 24 Feb.1833 New Row Presbyterian Church, Coleraine.

Do you have the marriage of Alexander and Anne? if not, let me know.
Correction- John Rogers McIlroy.

Will have a look at my Rogers notes to see if I can connect Mary Rogers to any of the other families in the area.

Offline Glitterpuss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Tuesday 13 September 11 21:42 BST (UK) »
I don't have Alexander and Anne's marrriage? I have John R and Anne Lowe's wedding certificate (that's how i knew his father was Alexander) but she's tricky as she's a widow so tracing her was put to one side to get as far back with the male line as possible.
Happy to have anything you may have that fits in :-)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Tuesday 13 September 11 21:46 BST (UK) »
Sorry, meant marriage of John Rogers McIlroy and Anne is the one I have.

Both of Alexander McIlroy's marriages are well before registration- the one to Mary Rogers likely took place in Aghadowey Presbyterian Church whose records of marriages begin in 1845.