Author Topic: Cowden's Farm  (Read 2057 times)

Offline rjwood125

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cowden's Farm
« on: Wednesday 18 August 10 19:47 BST (UK) »
I am trying to locate a picture or any history of my grandmother's birthplace, Cowden's Farm, which I believe is just southwest of Lockerbie and located near a place, I think, called Breckonhill. I only ever saw one coloured slide of the home farm and that was over 40 years ago but I recall it was an "L" shaped farmhouse with lots of Victorian gingerbread trim. I know little else about it other than they sold it and all their posessions around 1910 when the family emigrated to Canada.

I'm really hoping to contact a member on here who would do me a HUGE favour and maybe take a photo of the house and area. I can only get a really small peek at the roof line using Google Earth and the Street View option. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

John

Offline cyrus99

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Cowden's Farm
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 April 20 19:36 BST (UK) »
Hi.
I'm not sure if you're still active on this site but I can provide a little further info.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cowden's Farm
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 April 20 22:29 BST (UK) »
@ John, here's a very old song "The Broom o the Cowden Knowes!" sung by Archie Fisher.

https://songoftheisles.com/2013/04/24/the-broom-o-the-cowdenknowes/

Knowes being wee hills.

Bests,
Skoosh.