Author Topic: John Darragh, Dyer, Alderman, Lord mayor of Dublin 1781 also George Newton  (Read 9946 times)

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Levington House, Mullingar
    • View Profile
looking for any info re the above. owned two properties, 11, Lower Ormond Quay, Dublin, and Darraghville, Kilcoole, Co. Wicklow. Have details of his political career. He was a Dyer by trade. married Mary Newton c. 1750. He had one daughter, Susanna Newton, who married Dudley Hussey, Recorder of the City of Dublin. No granchildren, so Darrgaville passed on to the newton family - successively George Newton, George Newton, and finally Walter Crofton Newton of 24 Royal terrace kingston, who sold it in 1897. interested to know more about these Newtons, particularly occupations.

Thanks! PM

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: John Darragh, Dyer, Alderman, Lord mayor of Dublin 1781 also George Newton
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 August 10 13:41 BST (UK) »
A few entries for the address you mentioned in Kingstown/Dún Laoghaire from Thom's  directories :

1894 Royal terrace, West  (off Corrig Rd)

24  Mrs. Newton
 (also)  Walter Newton esq.  (esquire - so no occupation listed)

In Kingstown there's also a Royal Terrace North, and East listed.

In '84 at the same address there is :

24  W.C.D Newton esq

and in 1880 :

24 Mrs Burdett

I see no sign of Walter on the 1901 census, and based on the BMD index it looks like he died in the area in 1899 :

Name: Walter C D Newton
 Registration District: Rathdown
 Event Type: Death
 Quarter and Year: Jul - Sep 1899
 Age (at Death): 49     (est. year of birth : 1850)
 volume : 2 / page : 690

A death cert should give his occupation. See :

Ordering Certs from GRO Roscommon
 Details included on a Death Cert
 Introduction to Irish Records

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 August 10 14:01 BST (UK) »
The marriage of John Darragh and Mary Newton is included in the www.irishgenealogy.ie website :

Marriage of John Darragh and Mary Newton - 17 Sept 1750
 Church of Ireland parish of St. Mary's (Dublin north City centre)

Like many early record the details included are very basic. There are various other Newton families recorded in the same parish.

A Hussey/Darragh marriage is also included in the same website - the wife's first name is not transcribed on the website and smudged in the original records - so presumably Susanna. Her address is Ormonde Quay.

Marriage of Dudley Hussey and ?? Darragh - 24 June 1775
  Parish St. Mary's CofI

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline eomomo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 August 10 17:03 BST (UK) »
John Darragh mainly was a china and earthenware merchant as were the Newtons.  After the marriage of Mary Newton the two families seem to have been in partnership in a shop on Ormond Quay.  The marriage date is unclear.  The marriage register of St.Marys states 17 Sep.1748 however the Dublin Grant Book shows the date as 17 Sep.1750.  He had a sister, Susanna, who m.William Osborne and had issue.  His mother's name was also Susanna.  An abstract of his will exists in the National Library [MS 8015(10), includes a Newton pedigree], made by Gertrude Thrift, the main bulk of his assets going to his daughter, Susanna, and her husband Dudley Hussey, but as both of these died, childless, and within 2 years of John Darragh, the interest in his estate went to his wife Mary.  When Mary died in 1799, the Darraghville passed to the Newton family.  George Newton built a new house on the site and it stills exist as the Holy Faith Convent in Kilcoole.

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 August 10 18:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much both of you. I had some of this but a lot you gave me is new. There is a company Osborne Darragh Dyers in Baggott St, in some of the trade directories.  It now seems likely that this is connected to John Darragh. I am very interested in the tea merchant idea as it is new to me- what is the source? W.C Newton is William Crofton Newton. 

Brilliant detective work,

Thank you,

PS

Offline eomomo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 19 August 10 18:52 BST (UK) »
The Osbourne Darragh firm is interesting.  I wonder if John Darragh's father was the dyer? Everything that I have on John Darragh is related to china and glass.  I don't know about tea merchants but the Newton trades were as follows:
George Newton, father of Mary was a glass & china merchant
James Newton, his son, the same on Aston Quay
Isaac Newton, his brother, was a hosier on Grafton St., having started in the china trade
George Newton, son of James, was a mercer
George Newton, his son, was a solicitor,
Henry Newton, his son, was an accountant, 3 brothers wine merchants and a solicitor
Henry Richard Newton, his son, was an architect, dont know what W C D Newton, his brother, did
Henry Hubert Newton, his son, was a bank manager, Royal Bank of Ireland, brother a surveyor

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 19 August 10 20:21 BST (UK) »
That is wonderful. Thank you so much. The Dyer reference comes from notes in the convent archive, no source attached. I was having real difficulty with the Newtons. are you related? If so, you might be interested to know that Darraghville, now St. Patrick's Convent Kilcoole is open to the public once a year for free  for  heritage week at 2pm,  Saturday 21st August - day after tommorow.with a tour of the walled garden, music and entertainmentetc.  It is a lovely landscape, apart from the house and gardens.

Thank you again,

PS

Offline Quaxer

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 19 August 10 23:31 BST (UK) »
Pastmagic

Slaters Directory 1894 shows a Miss Fanny Newton at No.24 Royal Terrace but there is no mention of anybody else of interest.
The Calendar of Ancient Records of Dublin Vol.13 mentions John D.at Page 160 and shows at Page 174 that he was elected Lord Mayor on 27th April 1781 .I notice that there is also a   reference to him on Page 205 and at Page 517 there is a certificate showing that he resigned from the office of Coroner on 20th July 1781. Please note that my perusal of this Volume was very brief and while I noticed no reference to occupations it is not unlikely that there are other references to him in this Volume and prior ones. Unfortunately the series of 19 Volumes is completely without an index but I'm working on part of that at the moment.

Regards      Quaxer

Offline Quaxer

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 20 August 10 02:39 BST (UK) »
Pastmagic

Following upon my previous message (No.7)
C.A.R.D. Vol.11 at Page 480 shows that on 24th December 1762 John Darragh was one of two representatives of the Guild of Shearmen and Dyers on the Common Council of the City of Dublin.
Page   426  refers to John Darragh of Ormond Quay (Dyer) He was a Freeman of the City and worth over 2000 pounds (15th April 1768)  The 1762 entry above has a later page number as it was in an appendix.

Regards    Quaxer